Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

French Manicure On Natural Nails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ashley Rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashley Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: French Manicure On Natural Nails
    Posted: November 27 2005 at 8:36pm
Hi, I was wondering, how long should nails be at least before trying to get a French manicure?  I love the look but I've only ever gotten it done before with acrylic nails and I did not like them (the acrylics I mean).  I didn't get an infection or fungus, but after about a week or two I was just tired of them.  Maybe it's the tomboy in me but I guess I just can't do long nails.  I kept poking myself or scratching myself by accident and I generally felt like they got in my way, so acrylics are out but every time I grow my nails relatively long, they break.  I have to cook and clean at home, it's unavoidable, so I try to grow my nails a little above my finger tips, maybe like a centimeter or something (bigger than a 1/4 of an inch I think).  Can I go to the salon and get a French manicure or are my nails too short?  I'd do it myself with a home kit but I always get bubbles and streaks when I paint my nails myself.  Any ideas?  Thanks
MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 4:01am

As long as you have some white tips you can get them done, infact a skilled person should be able to create an imaginary line cos I can myself but yea just over the edge of your nails should be fine.

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 12:32pm
This post is a little late but I thought for others reading I would help.

The reason you are getting bubbles is because you aren't allowing your paint to fully dry before you put your top coat over your white tip.  I do a french manicure on my nails a couple times a week.... they aren't very long but it makes them look great!
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
SilkStrands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilkStrands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 1:00pm
Yeah, I've NEVER had acrylics. I get french mani's done on my nails a lot and have no problems. However, I was blessed with very strong, thick nails that grow really fast so i'm not sure how it would hold up with weak thin nails. you would probably have to keep applying a top coat every couple days to keep them from chipping so much, especially if you do a lot of manual chores like dishes and cleaning.

Also i'd suggest using rubber gloves because that will protect them from water and chemicals.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 9:28am
Hello,

I can grow my nails out ok, but they also always brake. That is until  a friend of mine gave me a bottle of nail envy by opi. I have been using it for two weeks now, and I can not believe how stong my nails are. I did a french manicure the beginning of this week,( put the white on, and then just the nail eny over the top) and a few people actually thought I got acrylics.
I agree with Amberjune that you are not letting enough time pass before you do the top coat.
In case you are interested, I discovered a little trick when doing a french manicue, It most likely is not new, but I have never heard of it before.
I don't like the little white sticker things you are supposed to use, I think they never stay in place. So I free hand my white tips. When I am finished, I take a small brush, (either a nail brush or a small paint brush.) and dip it in nail polish remover and then just where the white meets the base of my nail, I get rid of any goof-ups by using the brush to smooth it out. When I am finished with that part, I dip the brush in the remover, and then brush the whole tip to make the surface smoother.It ends up looking almost perfect.  
I put the nail eny over the white as soon as it is dry. You reapply the nail envy every other day, so it keeps you manicure looking great.
I hope this helped some.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 8:00am
Thats great help Alisa06... thank you! 

I have done the brush trick... but I have never ran it over the tip afterwards to smooth it down.  I'll have to try that tomorow!

Thumbs%20Up
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic