Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Katie Couric and Ann Curry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 1:17am

I like her article-- she seems like a very sweet, down to earth lady ^_^ .  I'm glad at least she's able to keep things in perspective, when everyone else seems to be blowing things so far out of proportion.

More awesome than a manatee!
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 8:09am
As members of a hair board, it is our function to transmute the mundane into the deeply significant.
lhairfan31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhairfan31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 8:20am
  One more day left.......Ann looking tremendous this morning in her last full show with long hair!   Wonder when the chop will occur tomorrow?  Sounds like Ann is not crazy at all about this media attention NBC has stirred up.  She should have just done it privately and that would have killed NBC.   lol  
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

Rod, what's "tragic", IMO, is that that many of the
women will be sacrificing something they treasure for nothing. It takes
many years to cultivate exceptional locks, and to donate them to a sham
charity is sorrowful indeed.

No, this is not on the level of children starving, but all the tears
which will be shed are completely unnecessary. I think LoL (and now
everyone at NBC affiliated with this circus, including Ann) are truly
wretched people. Sincerely, Bob

Bob, the only people treasuring the long hair are fetishists who are total
strangers. Women who treasure their hair as much as you say aren't
cutting it for charity. Ann won't be crying and I doubt few other women
will either. And this isn't donating a kidney. If any woman regrets cutting
her hair, the hair will grow back!

That you throw around words like "sham" is terrible. I have a family
member with Alopecia. It isn't fun. It's especially difficult on children.

Locks of Love DOES provide wigs for children with Alopecia. You throw
around words like sham. So certainly you must have hard evidence that
they don't provide wigs for kids. Right? Except they do. And these
children are very happy. And most women are happy for donating their
hair. Oh yeah. Sounds like wretched people to me.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 1:15pm

I make no apologies for my terminology. A million donations have been received by LoL, not counting ones never sent by salons after promising, yet only 1200 wigs have been made. The fact that LoL fails to candidly inform prospective donors that tails are no longer *needed* makes them unethical, in my book.

What if before the chopathon tomorrow, the women were told, "One of your donations will probably wind up on a child's head. The rest will be sold or warehoused. The next time you see Paris Hilton or Cher, that may be your hair that you're seeing!" How many woman would remain in line awaiting shearing? My guess is VERY few!

Yes, there are probably some who have been looking for an excuse to cut, but of those five women and one guy I know who cut for LoL, all have done it ONLY because of the children. One was positively bummed when she learned the truth.  And one man nearly had a stroke when he realized that his five year old neice, who had donated her never-cut blonde curls the past weekend, was a victim of a duplicitous "charity". Blessings, Bob

Edited by Bob S
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 3:28pm

Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

As members of a hair board, it is our function to transmute the mundane into the deeply significant.

THAT, Fatmoogas, is probably the most deeply significant post in this entire thread!  Well said! 

Merlin101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 4:11pm

Bob S,

Please provide your source of "facts".  The organization is on the up and up.  Hair pieces are not sold for profit to the Stars of Hollywood.   The organization is a federally approved Not for Profit organization.  You can pout all you want and make false statements, but that will not change the facts.  It's about the kids and no one, including yourself should take that away from them! Ever!!!

I can barely conjure myself out of bed, let alone conjure up the devil.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by JerkyFlea JerkyFlea wrote:

Ann's thoughts...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11199306/#LocksofLove

JF

Ann: "Yes, it's a sweet, good deed, that hopefully will inspire others..."

So, you see Rod, she does hope to convince the otherwise-unconvinced long hairs, to part with theirs also.  You say that nobody who didn't want to cut their hair anyway wouldn't be swayed.  That suggestion is facile.  I know you know and have talked with "real" women about this subject.  I have, too.  And I have, without doubt, discovered that a lot of long-haired women (like any woman) are moved by the emotion of alopecia-afflicted children who can't grow any (or enough) hair of their own, and are most definitely swayed to seriously consider cutting off their long hair for the stated purposes of this charity.  And yes, many do.  And yes, most (but not all) are regretful when they learn after the haircut that a very low percentage of donated hair is used in the hairpieces produced for this charity.

Ann: "When she asked, of course I immediately said yes, not thinking that it would make me look like a woman having a middle-age crisis."

Ann - and, I feel, our society in general - has a major hang-up with preconceived notions about the age-appropriateness of hair length.  Nobody would say that short hair is inappropriate for a person of any age.  Why, then, the bias against long hair wherein it is supposedly inappropriate for people who aren't "young?"

Ann: "The “Today” Show is making it a big deal, in part because it will help people, and yes there is wisdom in that, as there is the possibility that some good will come of it."

Given the vast excess of hair donations over hair used to construct the hairpieces, what people will be helped?  The people who sell storage space to LoL?  The people who purchase the hair they sell?  (And how will the purchasers use that hair?)

LoL has always been able to adequately service all qualified recipients that have come their way.  There is a way-more-than-adequate quantity of hair to service the needs of alopecia-afflicted children.  For what purpose is this additional supply of hair being encouraged?  How much excess is enough?

Ann: "But in my core, I know the best gifts are given anonymously, without needing attention..."

I personally wish this were the course she had taken (well, the haircut would have been obvious, but at least it could have been done in private and without the circus).

Ann: "I am flying to Africa for NBC News, to report on the ethnic cleansing in Darfur, a subject of international importance.  I can only hope the stories I bring back will generate as much public interest as my hair."

Dream on, Ann.  The only way that the today show audience will have more interest in the African tragedy would be to talk about it during the haircut circus.  Sadly, this reality is an indictment of the priorities of the today show audience specifically (and Americans in general).

Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 8:12pm
I don't know anyone who has cut their hair off for Locks of Love. I've
never
discussed Locks of Love with anyone outside this board. I know a few
people
who've cut off enough hair to donate, but I don't know if they have
donated.

Locks of Love may have enough hair that they don't need more.
People
who've drawn that conclusion have done so based on information they've
gleaned off the Web. While that appears to be true, it is not a proven fact.
Anyone who tells people that it is, that their hair won't go to a child
is presenting the situation as inaccurately as they think Locks of Love is.
An inference based on second hand information isn't the same as a fact.

Locks of Love makes no secret that they sell donated hair. That people
here know that is proof enough. If donors don't know that, they are being
irresponsible. I freely admit that I don't know what every charity I've
donated to does with the money. That Locks of Love uses money received
from selling the hair to operate is part of charity. According to the
financials I've seen, no one there makes much of a salary.

I'm certain people are swayed because they think the hair will go to a
child. And they might not cut it otherwise. But these people are not that
attached to their hair, at least not attached in the way Dave is to his long
hair.

I agree that people are focused way to much on Ann's hair compared to
the suffering in Darfur. But that's society. People sells millions of
copies. More people watch American Idol than the News. It's
regretable, but understandable. I don't have an issue with it. People want
entertainment.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 9:16pm

Cripe, what a week. Just days before Ann is scheduled to get her ponytail hacked off by her "buddy," Katie, Mrs. Kramer tells me that someone from Wigs for Kids approached her at work and begged her to donate her long hair. Thankfully, Mrs. Kramer declined -- and did so without consulting me. She said the Wigs for Kids lady actually criticized Locks of Love and said Wigs for Kids was the better charity. Amazing.

In the end, maybe Ann won't like her haircut and will try to buy some extensions from Locks of Love. What are they going to say to her? No? Then she'll have a real news story!

Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 7:07am
Ok here is my question with LOL and WOKs(Locks of Love/Wigs for Kids.) Anyone know what is WOKs standing is with the BBB? Also Glad Mrs Kramer didn't go for the chop.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 10:43pm

The other day, Katie Couric told fellow staffers that her mother told her again that she needed a haircut. The following trim debuted today.

http://www.gogomag.com/cgi-bin/tvheads_viewer.pl?tvheads6508 9&65089&Katie

From the day of the big announcement that she was bailing for CBS:

http://www.gogomag.com/cgi-bin/tvheads_viewer.pl?tvheads6420 3&64203&Katie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic