Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

grow out platinum hair? pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
malibubabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibubabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: grow out platinum hair? pics
    Posted: December 05 2005 at 8:05pm
ok my hair is basically platinum, not quite white but really really light ash blonde. My natural color is medium-dark blonde. Now that it's winter and I'm paler, this almost white hair looks really bad, it totally washes me out and I look albinoish. What could I do to not make it look bad while I let my roots grow out? Should I get lowlights? what exactly are lowlights? are they only underneath, or can you get them all over? I don't want to dye it all one solid darker color because I know I'll probably hate it, and I still want it to look like I have highlights. my hair is too damaged to dye it dark and then get new highlights
it looks like this

I want like medium blonde with light blonde throughout
how would I do this?

btw I just started using the best stuff ever

I can't get over how well it works, it's like serum but it doesn't leave my hair greasy or anything AT ALL and it makes it look so shiny and healthy

Edited by malibubabe
Emilie
ChelseaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChelseaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 9:33pm
Low lights are a darker color then your base, that you can put through out your hair just like highlights. You could get really thick lowlights and make it look like your base color are the highlights?I did this once because my hair was so blonde that highlights wouldn't have shown up, but I stils wanted contrast in my hair. Or you could differnt color of lowlights thourgh out? Hope this helps!
Chelsea~*
www.myspace.com/chelsea_nicole_boyd
Hair Type: 1a/1b-N-ii
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 10:39pm

Low lights in medium-dark blonde to "match" your regrowth.  However, remember that dyes typically get darker on over porous hair.  I'd use a demi (light blonde) to blend some low lights in your hair.  Low lights are intended to give your hair some debth. 

Make sure you strand test prior to adding anything to your hair.  http://www.robertcraig.com/ultrablond.html  Scroll down to the lowlights with a cap to get an idea of placement. 

Good luck!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 8:34am
Are you going to do this yourself?  This could be kind of complicated.

1.  Your hair is very porous, and I've heard both said:  That you should use a lighter color than you want because it will stick darker to your porous hair, or that you should use a shade darker than you want because it will rinse out of your porous hair.  Either could be true I suppose.  When I dyed my white hair darker, I always had to use a darker color because it wouldn't take and faded super fast, but I suppose it can depend on your hair and the product you choose.

2.  Because your hair is very porous, the base color in the dye you use may show up when you go darker (meaning if you use violet, your hair may come out a bit purple) Your hair was sort of a light yellow gold naturally wasn't it?  You may need to use a protein filler before you dye it. Since you aren't doing your whole head, this could get complicated.

For such a complicated job, you may want to consider getting it done at a salon just this once.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 3:05pm
Wow your hair is like glass. Crazy, you totally went all out didn't ya. I wanted mine plantinum but I can't do it, unless I want my hair short and melted off. :S I'd go to a salon and get it fixed. :)

~* Bambi Lee *~
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 3:06pm
Oh hey malibu did you cut quite a bit of your hair off? It looks shoulder lenghtnow. I'd opt for the more natural looking blonde, ur so purddy!

~* Bambi Lee *~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibubabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 8:30pm
thanks for the replies everyone.
Well I want to do it on my own because whenever I go to a salon they always end up cutting off like 2 inches of my hair, or never doing what I want them to do. So I've always just done it on my own. It does seem kind of hard to do lowlights though. ANd yeah it's so damaged it started breaking off so I just cut off a few inches. Bambilee, I love your hair, I want something like that with the darker pieces throughout. My hair has like no pigment and it doesn't hold any color, it sucks
Emilie
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 6:53am
If its breaking off, I'd be VERY careful.  You may want to just leave it, ....maybe try a pigment depositing shampoo that would add a little gold?  Its possible it would make it look too yellow, but those shampoos cost 5 bucks and if you don't like it you just wash it out.  (There's one at Sally called Complements that makes a yellow, I used to use their reds.  It looks like paint in the bottle and puts a layer of pigment over the hair. If you use it every wash it builds up to a darker layer, so you may only want to use it every other wash).  From the picture I don't think you look washed out at all anyway.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibubabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 11:18am
that's because I have bronzer and blush on, hah, but in natural light I look way too washed out, especially with the white snow all over the place. And it's not too damaged, it was breaking off but I cut off about 4 inches so now it's at my shoulders which is the shortest it's ever been it seems, and I just want it to be long and healthy again. I have about 1/4 inch of roots showing, and it doesn't look that bad. People are used to seeing people with light blonde hair and roots. They're like a medium blonde, I don't know if it's warm or cool, it isn't ash but it isn't really warm either

Edited by malibubabe
Emilie
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 1:12pm
Sounds like my natural color......it's neutral.
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 12:31pm
I'd go to a salon and ask for low lights, lots of them. don't let them just put them em ever second foil, cause apparently that's what most do but my hairdresser said I need lots more depth so she did more. It takes longer and I think costs more but it works really good. See my hairdresser didn't touch my base color, she just worked the low lights into it, she used black, some kinda reddy brown and a darkblonde and she used Demi. I'd go with the demi it fades and makes the pieces darker. And if you don't like how dark it is at first, it'll fade. Have you used protien filler, I hear that works.  Hope you can get it the way you want!

~* Bambi Lee *~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic