Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sick of fine hair.. Need something new!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
elegantpassion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elegantpassion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sick of fine hair.. Need something new!
    Posted: December 15 2005 at 7:03pm

I currently have fine hair up to my shoulders and I was thinking of getting my hair wavy/curly permanently. I've looked at the different sorts of permanent wave services but im not sure what they are. Theres the root wave, spiral wave and the body wave. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

LRM1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 9:20am

Ask your stylist.  They also have a new permanent that is for color treated hair.  Do you keep your hair all one length?  I have the experience of my hair looking much fuller when I have no layers.  I have also toyed with the perm, body wave thing, but shy away from it because I color my hair quite frequently and am afraid of damage.  My hair is currently shoulder length and looks pressty full on days that I wash it.  Let me know when you decide to do.

Lisa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elegantpassion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 4:16pm

I'll think i'll talk the dive for a spiral perm but I might wait a bit longer till I do one since I've been told the hair strinks about 10 cm.

Thanks for your reply Lisa

LRM1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 7:46am

Spiral perms are great.  Good choice.  Please let me know when you do it and how you like it.  I may consider a perm also.  And yes, your hair will look shorter once you get it.

Lisa

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 8:59am
You need to keep a couple of things in mind before taking the plunge into spiral perms.  First, what will you do when it begins to grow out?  You will have an inch of so of new, straight (flat) growth and then the rest is spiraling.  Those spirals won't straighten out but they can very easily turn to friz.  Then you have to decide whether to get another perm or what.  Getting lots of perms can lead to terrible damage and breakage.  I know perms are fun but they can become a nightmare after only a few weeks, especially if you color too.  Be very careful.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elegantpassion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 4:19pm

Hey, thanks for your opinion demodoll and that's exactly what my ma said. She used to get frequent perms and that was 20 years ago. I get a lot of different opinions about perms and most of them are either very negative or very positive. One of the main reasons I'm thinking about a perm is because I have extremely oily hair as well; having to wash it every single day is quite a hassle sometimes.

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 9:42pm
I don't think you could skip washing it every day due to "flattening" of the curl when you sleep on it.  I found that frequent washing was a must when I had a perm.  Even being in the wind could ruin it and I would have to rewet it to make the curl come back.  I have had tons of perms and the only ones that were the least bit helpful were just body waves.  If you change the texture of your hair too drastically when it grows in it just is too different and it looks real bad.  Reperming is very damaging.  My hair is very, very oily too and I understand about having to wash it every day.  I am nearly 50 years old and still have to wash my hair at least once a day.  I just keep it very short now so it isn't too much hassle but I think you are about the age of my daughter and short is not an option for you just yet.  On the bright side though--at least my head is clean!
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 11:50am
Try washing every other day with a sulfate-free shampoo or with a light conditioner.  Be patient and allow your scalp time to adjust.  You may find you can wash a little less often.
Lisa
cathrynr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathrynr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 8:30pm
I also find volumizer to be a great help. I'm not sure how they work but I read somewhere that they swell the hair shaft and make your hair appear fuller.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elegantpassion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2006 at 5:18am

First I'd like to thank all your posts. I truly appreciate it a lot!

A perm is a big dive for me since i have what my friends call 'virgin hair' because I've never done anything to my hair, not even colour it.
Before I make my final decision, I'd like to know how a body wave works. Is it just the same as a perm? If so, how long does it stay in for?

Thanks.

UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 7:03am
A body wave is just a perm using larger rollers.  How long it lasts depends on your hair, and on the size of rollers used.
Lisa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elegantpassion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 7:38am
oh ok. so it's pretty much like a perm?
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 7:42am
It is a perm.  It just doesn't give a tight or spiral curl due to the larger diameter of the rollers used.  It can give your hair more body to hold whatever styling you do after washing it.  It can still be very damaging though so be very careful.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elegantpassion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 5:15pm

oh ok.

thanks!

Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 5:02pm

I am so scared at doing anything permanent to my hair! Congrats for being so brave!

And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 10:59am
If you have fine hair (as I do) I don't recommend a perm. It is extremely damaging to us fine haired folks. Maybe you can do some different styles instead?
ocalagirl1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocalagirl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 12:00pm
My hair is exactly like the picture posted.  Buy a good quality moose.  wash hair, condition (no silk cond) after getting out of shower put head upside down and scrunch with mousse (dont comb or brush after this or it will screw it up) be patient let air dry and soon it will look like you permed it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic