Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHistory of African American Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of African American Hair
    Posted: December 27 2005 at 4:11pm
Everything about our natural kinky hair began in Africa.  The different hair textures of African people ranges from deep ebony, kinky curl of the Mandingos, to the loosely curled flowing locks of the Ashanti. (This is were the woman with Murder Inc. records got her name)

In the early fifteenth century, hair functioned as a carrier of messages in most West African societies.  The citizens of these societies - including the Wolof, Mende, Mandingo, and Yoroba were people who filled the slave ships that sailed to the New World.  Within these cultures, hair was an integral part of a complex language system.  Hairstyles were used to indicate a persons' marital status, age, religion, ethnic identity, geographic origins, wealth, and rank within the community.

"Things are different for the American Black men.  How he knows himself today is reflected in his understanding of the past.  Since the beauty standard here is still European, we must hold onto what we are because we can never be what we are not.  Let us observe the history of our African beauty legends for they are the depositors of our beauty ideas.  Cultivation of physical beauty has been one of great pain in the African-American experience, we must regenerate our true beauty aesthetic."

Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2005 at 4:12pm
Composition of Hair

The composition of hair varies based on the hair type, one's age, sex, origin, and hair color.  Your hair grows from the scalp, it serves to protect the head from injury, and from the elements - the sun, cold weather, etc.  The foods and vitamins you in-take play a role on the growth and healthiness of your hair.  The DNA in the body predetermines the length to which the hair will grow.  The average head is about 120 square inches, and there are about 1,000 strands of hair per square inch, giving the average head about 120,000 strands of hair.  However, there are products that can aid the sheen strength, and overall well-being of you hair!

Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic