Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHBCU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
baller05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baller05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HBCU
    Posted: December 29 2005 at 10:09pm
Lets talk about the good and bad reason to go to a HBCU(Historically BLack College)..........
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 11:17am

Great topic!!!

I went to a mostly white university in Oklahoma, OSU Cowboys.

Let me tell you, it went through culture shock. I was forced to figure out a way to fit into a system that was not designed for me. It was very hard on me because I grew up in majority minority community. So I guess we are really talking about segregation and desegregation.

Pros:

1. I learned to be around many different cultures and adapt to them.

2. I made some real good friends with people of other race, cultures, and different countries.

3. I learned how the outside world is and how it views me as an African American MAN.

Cons:

1. I never could fit in because I had to conform to other peoples culture and they never had to conform to mine.

2. I missed out on all the African American culture that is so strong as HBCU's.

3. I know that I would have learned more and advanced my education more if I had went to a HBCU.

Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 11:27am

Many older Black people say that Black people were stronger and more united when we were segregated. They say we owned more land, owned more homes, owned more business, Blacks married more and stayed married, and we all took care of each other better than we do today. This was all because we lived in the same communities isolated from negative outside cultures that lowered ourself worth.

Should this be applied to HBCU's? I think so.

I think it's better for us in many ways. Remember, White people attend Historically White Universities.

Most of the Universities in America are Historically White Universities. Maybe that's why they have a strong pride and many African Americans don't.

Edited by BIGGMike
Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
THECHOSEN1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECHOSEN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 6:10pm
^^ Yea i dont know if i should go to a more black or white college

most black colleges dont offer alot

but colleges eith more white people have better oppurtinies like in florida they have there own bus system,hospital and other things and this was msotly white

while the black college was a little smaller and notmanny magors
waveing is mental a barrier u must over come

baller05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baller05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 11:13am
^^not true

i got to FAMU and we share the everything with FSU..the only prob is most of the stores and resturants are on FSU side of town cuz they have a 3 to 1 ration on our campus
lilkeke918 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilkeke918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 8:04pm
See thats the problem sharing, and been 2 some of the HBCU's and they are not very clean. Also many dont offer good majors 
Im an Ocean yall cats are just ponds
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:06am

THECHOSEN1, lilkeke918 you two guys are far away from the truth. HBCU's do offer a variety of majors. Why do so called "Black Men" attack everything that is Black.

This is clear evidence of self hatred and oppression. When racism is so high that the oppressed refuse to see anything but negative qualities in Black institutions.

The higher the racism is, the higher self hatred is.

Plus age is a major factor in making choices in life. If you have not been born long enough to experience life as OLDER people have, it is best not to rush into anything BLIND.

Me, I've attended OSU, Texas Tech, and UNT and I can tell you from my 33 years in America, that HBCU's offer more for Black MEN. White U's teach SELF HATRED and division of the Black family. I know because I have taken 4000 and 5000 level classes at White U's and they teach Black women a white elitist mentality and encourage them to degrade Black MEN.

So if you are into HATING ON YOUR ON PEOPLE , keep thinking White Universities are better.

Edited by BIGGMike
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:22am

What Universities have you attended?

Not grade school or high school. I'm talking the big U.

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:25am

Support the HBCU's, support people who attend HBCU's.

Support YOUR OWN PEOPLE, please. Slaves where set free many moons ago so why can't we get rid of the Houses amoung us.

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:27am

Baller05, I support YOU 100%. Do your thang MAN cause I'm gonna keep doing mine until OUR PEOPLE WAKE UP OUT THIS SELF HATRED MENTALITY.

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGGMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:29am

Originally posted by THECHOSEN1 THECHOSEN1 wrote:

but colleges eith more white people have better oppurtinies like in florida they have there own bus system,hospital and other things and this was msotly white

Playa, White U's can afford bus systems and hospitals because WHITE PEOPLE SUPPORT THEIR OWN UNIVERSITIES UNLIKE some BLACK PEOPLE.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECHOSEN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by baller05 baller05 wrote:

^^not true

i got to FAMU and we share the everything with FSU..the only prob is most of the stores and resturants are on FSU side of town cuz they have a 3 to 1 ration on our campus

yea I know i went on many college tours so i basically went to all colleges in florida....imo i like fsu better

FAMU has a big track though its been there for a long time just keeps getting bigger and bigger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECHOSEN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by BIGGMike BIGGMike wrote:

THECHOSEN1, lilkeke918 you two guys are far away from the truth. HBCU's do offer a variety of majors. Why do so called "Black Men" attack everything that is Black.

This is clear evidence of self hatred and oppression. When racism is so high that the oppressed refuse to see anything but negative qualities in Black institutions.

The higher the racism is, the higher self hatred is.

Plus age is a major factor in making choices in life. If you have not been born long enough to experience life as OLDER people have, it is best not to rush into anything BLIND.

Me, I've attended OSU, Texas Tech, and UNT and I can tell you from my 33 years in America, that HBCU's offer more for Black MEN. White U's teach SELF HATRED and division of the Black family. I know because I have taken 4000 and 5000 level classes at White U's and they teach Black women a white elitist mentality and encourage them to degrade Black MEN.

So if you are into HATING ON YOUR ON PEOPLE , keep thinking White Universities are better.

just from what ive seen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECHOSEN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by BIGGMike BIGGMike wrote:

Originally posted by THECHOSEN1 THECHOSEN1 wrote:

Playa, White U's can afford bus systems and hospitals because WHITE PEOPLE SUPPORT THEIR OWN UNIVERSITIES UNLIKE some BLACK PEOPLE.

alright

Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 9:27pm

I am a stickler for ratings.  I don't think white universities are better per se, but they do tend to be more selective in their criteria for students who fill their seats.  HBCU's tend to have very lax entrance requirements and anyone can pretty much enroll.  That offends me.  I never understood this.  What are they trying to say to us?  That the requirements don't need to be as high for us at these schools b/c most of us won't and aren't expected to do so well?  Sadly,that is why people don't take these schools as seriously as others. 

I will say that I attended a summer research program at Southern University in Baton Rouge and I was shocked.  The physics and chemistry department there were actually AMAZING.  The program was an attempt to attract us to the school, but the stigmas and other factors that surrounded the whole HBCU thing were too great.  People don't see the awesome physics department.  They see these schools as party schools where black people hang out and are handed a roll of paper in 4 years.  None of the students I did research with attended HBCU's in the long run.  Neither did I.

I just have this fear that when jobs see these schools on an applicant's resume-- they don't regard them as highly as other schools.  I think if the schools would higher their standards they would be able to compete better and attract the black students who are turned off by the "party image."  I know they will lose a good number of students, but the quality will improve. 

At the end of the day, I just want to know that I am  sitting next to people who worked as hard as I did to get there . . . regardless of color.  Not someone who slept through HS and managed to fill out an application between winks.  There are only a couple of HBCU's I'd consider going to-- the way the system is set up now.

Why can't they step up their game?

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 5:12am

I don't see any evidence here that implies that people are posting or displaying "Self-Hatred" just because he or she do not support HBCU. Everyone is intitled to their own choice and it can be a cultural shock to African Americans to attend "Black Colleges" as well as "White Universities". Many of the people I know, that attended an HBCU returned within the same year, it was not for them and I'm sure what they expected was not there.  One of the reasons  was because they were trying to fit-in...for example, someone in the wave forum posted a while ago that he own horses and attend a private school...that same person was called "trying to be white." That was an extreme example, but it happens. Now I choose to go to a school in my state, which has a great reputation and is highly ranked in the country considering my Major...that was mine reason, just as others have their own.

It's great that you post and bring questions to the table. However, there is no reason to think someone is showing self hatred because he or she do not agree with attending HBC.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECHOSEN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Sistaslick Sistaslick wrote:

HBCU's tend to have very lax entrance requirements and anyone can pretty much enroll.
 Sadly,that is why people don't take these schools as seriously as others. 

this is why i assumed that @ BIGGMIKE

lilkeke918 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilkeke918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 5:50pm
Yes granted some HBCU's offer some good choices. Your constant Black nationalism blinds you to the best choice. Hell I would go out of the country if I felt the college was the best choice for me. The original HBCU's were made for black people to learn a trade. To become better "house niggers". They had classes for Blacks to learn how to be a butler, maid, or some other career choice white people did not want to do.
Im an Ocean yall cats are just ponds
baller05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baller05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2006 at 9:08pm
go to HBCU...u learn more about ur race n history.....i wask thinking bout trasnfering to FSU untill i learned how hard the founders of FAMU had to go threw to make me (black males) be able to go to college and succeed in this world
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 4:33am

Baller its great that you found a college that you are interested in.  It is not just HBCU colleges that people fought to get into.  When Michigan State University began to intergrate, black people were not allowed to reside on the campus. However, they found support systems through creating organizations and such. I am very proud of my school because someone fought for me to be there, to get an education and live on the campus grounds. Because my school is not specifically HBCU does not make it less credible TO ME.

However, many schools supply African American history. My family raised me to know about "our history." The best history lesson comes from those who lived it...family members( parents/grand parents) and family friends. I learned more history through this and reading, researching and listening to speakers.  There is alot of unknown history, but you can find it...it's not hard.

If you find a school that specializes and offers you challenges that you need for your field, then I say go for it. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic