Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why does gray hair turn yellow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jujupud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujupud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does gray hair turn yellow
    Posted: January 04 2006 at 3:49am
My Mother-in-law's beautiful hair is turning yellow . It seems to be just around the sides and back. Any idea's why?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 6:59am
I really don't know why, anyone else?  If she doesn't like it yellow she can get a pigment depositing violet shampoo (the violet will counter the yellow), or call around to salons and see if they offer any more permanent violet options.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Tressa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tressa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2006 at 8:55pm
Does your mother-in-law  smoke or live with a heavy smoker ?  That  can have an effect  ... even different meds can  do it... the hair is the bodies watse baskets thats why they can trace so much  about toxic intake from your hair all residues from anything and everything ends up there and stays a long time... the grey hair shampoos  can help from shampoo to shampoo.....for more permanent solution a salon  could help have them do a light bleach  and foil in three different colors to blend .... that would look nice  and blend her hair in too ... it is hard to get rid of by yourself  good luck  hope I helped a little Tressa 
AnnSimone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnSimone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 5:20pm
Grey/Silver/White hair is similar to having hi-lift blondes, in that it is easily stained. Whether she smokes may not matter. Smoking will yellow hair faster, obviously, but basic things from the enviornment will yellow her hair. Car exhaust, smog, the elements. Product build-up. Minerals in your water. The best thing to combat this is to use a purple based shampoo and conditioner, made for hi-level blonds. She can also visit the salon to have her hair toned as is done on most blondes.
If her hair was darker when she was younger, she was probably never noticing stains before, as we do not see stains as easily on dark colors, (aka a white rug versus a dark brown rug.)

Cheers,
AnnSimone
Visit my website www.annsimone.com for the HONEST TRUTH about hair extensions!
Sunduster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunduster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 6:18pm
Would over exposure to sun do it? I know I've seen women whose gray hair looked a little yellow. Isn't there a shampoo out there, that  you use when the hair yellows? Blue shampoo, silver shampoo? Can anybody help me out here. Can't remember.
Sunduster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunduster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 6:48pm
Maybe she's lacking amino acids. Your hair color comes from the amount of grandules of pigmentation you have in your cortex. The more the darker your hair. It's also hereditary.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic