Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

long, thick, curly hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Akhenaten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhenaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long, thick, curly hair
    Posted: January 06 2006 at 8:30pm
For the past two years I've been working on growing my hair long. This is due to the fact that my hair is very much as the title describes, and when short has never been satisfactory. It's wonderful now that I can tie it back and no longer have to look like a piece of decorative shrubbery. However, as far as wearing it down goes, it's something I don't get the pleasure of doing often. It seems I just don't quite have the hang of taking care of it. I use Suave shampoo/conditioner, and nothing else. What I would love is for it to look/feel like the hair on the guy on the far left in this picture. Any suggestions as to what sort of shampoos and conditioners, as well as methods of hair-care I would be grateful for. However, I would really like to avoid putting any sort of chemical into my hair, especially hairspray.

Edited by Akhenaten
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 8:42am
LOVE your name!  I've always had a fascination for Akhenaten (the pharaoh). 

I agree, there's no need to put sprays and chemicals in this kind of hair.  It looks like he may have it layered on the bottom 2-3 inches, just to give it a tapered look instead of being cut straight across on the bottom (if you hair gets sort of a "triangle shaped" look after you trim it, you may want to try that kind of layering, if it does not, then cut straight across is fine and you will end up looking like him anyway...depends on how thick and curly your hair is exactly which way it will work for you).

As for products, Suave is okay.  You may do best avoiding silicones (I don't think Suave has many, if any) as sometimes they can frizz curly hair (again, it always depends on the hair, everyone's is different).  Silicones are anything in the ingredients of your shampoo and conditioner that end in "cone".  If, as your hair gets longer, you find it tangles too much, then you may want to try silicones because they do prevent tangling.  They can build up on the hair over time and cause it to break off and look dull, so if you do use them, you should also get a clarifying shampoo and be sure to use it once every 2 weeks to remove old silicones (which will prevent any problem). 

As for curly hair care, you may find it looks best if you comb it when its wet (after washing), instead of brushing it.  And then don't comb it again after its dry.  This will reduce frizz and keep your curls well defined like the guy's in the photo.  Some curly haired people also use a drop of oil (like jojoba or coconut) spread through the hair to moisturize it, reduce frizz, and increase shine (one drop or two will not make it look oily...if it does look oily it means you used too much).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic