Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Porpoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porpoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey
    Posted: January 17 2006 at 1:44pm

I recently read this book. I have naturally wavy/curly hair and Lorraine Massey is supposed to be the expert when it comes to curls and how to take care of them. This was a humorous and fun read but it did leave out a lot. It barely mentioned anything about wavy hair, even though she claims to know everything there is to all types of curls. The one wavy "real girl" said that she "wasn't a true curly" but that isn't true! There are all sorts of curls. Curls can be anything from loose waves to tight corkscrews. She didn't give a whole lot of advice on wavy hair. I'll admit, wavy hair doesn't take as much maintenence than tight corkscrews, but waves do have their problems. And to be as brief as she was on how to take care of wavy hair made me mad. She didn't mention anything about how to cut wavy hair either. A lot of critics also complain that she is "anti-straight" and lacks when it comes to advice on ethnic and african american hair care. I think this book is more for Caucasians with really curly hair. It is a fun and humorous read, but it leaves out a lot.

DANGER! I drive like you do.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 2:56pm
I think the book was OK...I read it at one sitting at Barnes and Nobles, then decided it was an good read but not a good purchase. Many of the things that she does with her curly hair I do also, a African American Woman with tightly coiled hair...wash, condition then go. However, I think she could offer more hairstyles than the ones that she did mention. She doesn't seem to be much of a creative person, as far as I can remember. O yeah...I liked the homemade recipes too.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 6:51am
 i agree i just recently checked this book out of my local libary and  found that most of the informantion was stuff i grew up knowing, like how to scrunch hair. I too have wavey hair "meg ryan hair" (as pictured for some wavey types).
the book was funny but not that useful.
 cheers to the home made recipes tho. the lavernder mist  is were its at!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic