Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long, Healthy Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brownmocha78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownmocha78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long, Healthy Hair
    Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:00am

Hello my name is Alina.

I have commited myself to grow my hair long and healthy for 2006. When I was younger and my mother was taking care of it I didn't have the problems I have now. I don't know where to start. Going through you forum and many other sites. I now know that Deep conditioning, and moisturizing is a major part of getting healthy hair. In the past I have grown my hair long only to run across it being real thin. So then I cut it again to give the full effect, then to find out it is now short and thin and I am back at square one. What do you recommend for thin hair, how can I thicken my hair as well as grow it long.

Sunduster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunduster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 2:47pm

Thin hair is usually a mineral deficientcy. Go to a health food store, and get a bottle of Kelp. It stimulates hair growth. Just ask they tell you.

Change your diet. Eat more protein, fruits, and vegetables.

Exercise will help with blood circulation.

Massage, massage, massage daily.

Use an animal brush, not synthetic.

Also brush only 25 - 30 strokes.

Trim your ends, to get a nice healthy start.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownmocha78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 3:04pm

Thanks for your quick response.... 

I currently only eat veggies, chicken and fish. I excercise three times a week and drinks a lot of water and take my vitamin supplements. I will try go ahead and try the Kelp, I have never heard about this, I will do some additional research on it. I have also read that Essential oils help as well, which ones would you recommend if you know of this.

Sunduster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunduster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 3:37pm
Yes absolutely. You can use Jojaba or olive oil treatments, for a good conditioning work out. I do it twice a month

Edited by Sunduster
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 6:00pm
Visit the Long Hair Support board here to find all kinds of good info.

Welcome.
Sunduster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunduster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 6:37pm

I know I didn't win anything. This spam turkey has been keeping me from posting. Don't know how to kick its butt out of there. Ridiculous.

Eat salt water fish, cooked egg yolk, meat, milk, poultry, soybeans, whole grains, and yeast.

B Complex vitamins are also needed for healthy hair and skin.

I've learned a lot over the years from very important people. Have a huge book full of all kinds of info. Have used loads of it. Love to play with cosmetics, hair. nutrition, etc. Have friends with all different hair colors. So we play around with make up all the time. Know what lookks dazzling on people. We just made some new lipstick the other night. Wow.

Biotin will help keep your grass planted.  But if your taking sulfa drugs, or antibiotics it will threaten biotin's ability.

Also my health food friend told me, at any time if I have to take a prescription, to follow with Acidophilis. The prescriptions will even kill friendly bacteria. So the acidophilis will put them back.

trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 2:53am

Brownmocha, you might have a lack of fat in your diet; do you ever have a dry scalp or dry skin elsewhere on your body?  That could be a sign.  If so, make sure that you eat some oily fish (kippers, tuna, salmon, sardines), nuts (Brazils and walnuts especially) and seeds a couple of times each week; this should help your hair's health.

Good luck.

Edited by trophywife
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 8:57am

Hi,

I totally agree with all the hair sugestions!

Especially,essentiils from Fish(like albacore tuna, and salmon) plus walnuts,almonds,seeds,even flax seeds and soybeans, are all excellent for hair and skin, and your brain!!!;)

Genetics plays a part in length and hair thickness, as does age, and stress.

So massage your scalp, with or without oil and aromatherapy. Plus excersise helps strees and improves circulation!

Also B-complex with zinc, seleniun, and biotin helps!

Most variety of healthy foods help, but vitamins help too.

Also, try imaging your hair growing thicker, and don't forget trims, to keep ends from splitting.

P.S. If Yohighlighting your hair that will boost the hair shafts thickness!

I hope I've helped too!

Take care and God Bless You!

God Bless,...
Katie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownmocha78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 10:04am
Thanks for all the great advice. I am of haitian/dominican decent so my natural hair texture unrelaxed is curly, so its takes a lot of maintenance and attention for my hair to grow. Yesterday I went past the health food store and purchased Kelp and some Jojoba oil. I have read that lavender and basil essential oils are good for hair growth. Is this true, how much would I have to add to the carrier oil to get a good effect. What type of deep conditioners, and protein conditioners do you recommend.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 12:37pm

Hi there BrownMocha78!

I have had great success with grapeseed carrier oil, and I add for every tablespoon of carrier oil, I add at least 4 to 6 drops of Lavender essential aromatherapy oil. I hope this helps you.

You see Lavendar relaxes the nervous system, and using grapseed oil helps because it doesn't clog pores(or the scalp). I would work this emulsion into the scalp before you go to bed, and you can sleep on it, or allow it to set for a couple hours, then shampoo as usual.

I personally don't use "Protein" conditioners. I usually spray a leave-in conditioner try Suave, or Aveda brands for example.

I'm sure any conditioner with silk protein, or panthenol would help. But remember to only put a conditioner on the ends of hair, and maybe deep conditioner once a week all over.

That way your hair won't be weighed down so it will be soft, yet look and feel fuller, or thicker, as you want.

I'm 35yr.s YOUNG! Believe me, I've read alot of beauty articles, and labels,etc. I know enough to help myself and others. Plus it doesn't hurt that my Twin Sister Barb is a licsenced cosmotologist!

By the way Welcome to Hairboutique message boards!

God Bless,...
Katie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownmocha78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 2:09pm

Since I am really trying to commit to this maybe I can start a challenge of some sort to grow my hair here on the board.

Alina

Sunduster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunduster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 12:08pm

Hi guys. Just became vice president of our club. We have over 60 members. Won't be on here much any more. Can send e - mails will answer them when I can.

Going to leave you with some more info. Healthy hair needs lots of protein. It helps tp prevent snapping and splitting.

Iron helps to carry oxygen to your hair. Without it the hair would starve. So eat dark green vegies.

Zinc will help prevent hair loss. So eat seafoods.

Copper will help keep the color. So eat liver and nuts. Or and fresh vegies.

Carrots will help the waistline.

You need to take vitamins. They also help with hair growth.

You need to exercise. It has to involve the arms and legs. So go for a brisk walk. Swing those arms.

Fruits and vegies, provide good growth, and color.

Hot oil treatments at least twice a month, will help with growth. Mix 1 cup of olive oil, and 1/4 cup butter. Mic 1 min. Now apply to hair. Cover with a hot towel. Do this for 20 mins. Each time towel cools off, reheat. Then shampoo.

Prenatal Vitamins will help with hair growth. My friends used these for years.They provide more supplements needed.

Always smile, that cheerful look will invite others.

There now good luck!       

Until later!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic