Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fine hair, DRY scalp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fine hair, DRY scalp
    Posted: February 05 2006 at 12:00pm

My son has very dry scalp, but has fine, biracial hair that's closer to caucasian hair than African hair. I have course, African hair.

I can't use products on his scalp that I use on my own because it's too heavy for his hair and makes his hair greasy.

What would you fine haired people recommend I put on his dry scalp that won't weigh his hair down?

My husband and his family have no idea because they have fine hair with an oily scalp.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 8:16am
How old is your son?  And how do you know his scalp is dry?  Is he having problems with flaking and itching and possibly dandruff?  The reason I am asking is that if he has dandruff you might want to try one of the dandruff shampoos out there like Head and Shoulders.  I have actually seen it recommended for people with fine hair because it adds body.  Other than that you might try a volumizing shampoo or a shampoos specially formaulated for fine hair.  Most of the major product lines out there have both.  I find that they work very well but my scalp is oily rather than dry so I kind of have the opposite problem (oily scalp/fine hair). 
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
henchperson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 2:01pm
I don't know how much help I can be, but I'm a Caucasian with fine, normal hair and a dry scalp.
At night, I drip a few drops of jojoba oil into my hands and give my scalp a good massage with it.  It makes the roots oily, a bit, but my scalp is happy and non-itchy for the first time in years.  You can also try adding essential oils to the jojoba oil - it's very light and has almost no scent.  I now use a mixture of jojoba with birch and rosemary essential oils that seems to work for me just fine.
I also switched shampoos to Giovanni's Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner.  This is the first time I have been able to shampoo two days in a row and not end up with a hoplelessly itchy head.
I hope this is at least a little helpful - I'd try some jojoba before anything else, if you can get him to sit still long enough to have his head rubbed!
Fine, wavy hair - 7" long from crown to end.
http://henchhair.livejournal.com - hair journal, complete with pictures of disastrous experimentation.
Kirea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 2:58am
I have fine, caucasian hair and a dry scalp. I second the jojoba oil suggestion, it is a very light oil and absorbs well into hair and scalp.
Use the gentlest moisturising shampoo you can find, and use just a tiny amount of it.
Even if your son is a young child, adult shampoos are just fine to use if you avoid the eyes. Baby shampoo is actually quite harsh- the ingredients they use to make it 'no tears' are very strong.
I shampoo once a week or less, with very diluted shampoo. For daily washing I just rinse with water or use a little conditioner, it gets my hair nice and clean without stripping my scalp and making it dry. Hair's natural oils are the absolute best moisturiser, it's important to keep as much of them in the hair and on the scalp as possible.

Pixie/Chin/Waist
1a Fi/ii
henchperson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Kirea Kirea wrote:

Even if your son is a young child, adult shampoos are just fine to use if you avoid the eyes. Baby shampoo is actually quite harsh- the ingredients they use to make it 'no tears' are very strong.

I'm with Kirea - even the California Baby line, which is really gentle, made my dry scalp itch.  I thought I'd try baby shampoos for a while and MAN, those things can be harsh.
If you want to try a little bit of the Giovanni Tea Tree without making a big committment, PM me and I'll send you a sample.  I ended up with two of the shampoos in a trade - when what I really needed was two conditioners!  I can also send you a little bit of the Aubrey organic jojoba, which comes in a little tiny bottle and came for free with one of my Aubrey purchases.  I've used a little of it, but not much, since I tend to really glop it on and this bottle is just too little for that purpose.  If you think it would help your little sproglet and his dry scalp, I'd be happy to send it along and further clear out my product graveyard.
Let me know. 
Fine, wavy hair - 7" long from crown to end.
http://henchhair.livejournal.com - hair journal, complete with pictures of disastrous experimentation.
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 10:18am
i am biracial with the caucasion type of hair, i get dry scalp too its not dandruff on our type of hair  i know that its dry scalp. You can use jojoba oil it helps me and i also use Tea tree oil sometimes in the form of a shampoo to aid with the itching. USE a lot of conditioner  for the dry ends but keep it away from the scalp will just make him more itchy. And get a filter on your water chlorine also promotes more dry scalp itch.
Babycheeks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic