Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble using a straightener

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anilmanu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilmanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble using a straightener
    Posted: February 05 2006 at 10:24pm
I got a Sedu straightener 2 days back. I tried it for the first time 2day. I'm not able to though. My hair is long enough. Almost till my shoulders. Any suggestions on how to use the starightener. Should my hair be wet or dry while ironing. What steps should I take before I iron my hair. I have to do it all by myself. I do not have anyone to iron it for me.
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 3:32am

Your hair must be BONE DRY before you use a straightening iron on it.

Firstly, apply a heat protective product such as the L'Oréal one in the pink bottle (as advertised by Beyoncé) or the TreSemmé one as per the instructions on that particular product.

Ensure that the iron has heated up fully before you start using it on your hair.

Tie or clip back your hair so that it is all out of the way apart from the 1-2 inch section you're actually working on.  Then when that bit is done, let down the next section and do that one, etc.

Practice makes perfect, just be careful not to burn your hair!  (To avoid burning, always keep the iron moving and try not to go over the same section more than a couple of times). 

Clean the plates of the iron after use (when they've cooled!)  Just run a damp sponge or cloth over them a few times.

Use an intensive conditioner when you wash your hair to replace some of the moisture lost through heat styling.  Blot your wet hair gently with a towel, never dry it roughly, so the cuticle stays flat and gives a smooth, shiny appearance.  Let your hair air dry before straightening so it doesn't suffer twice the heat damage from being blowdried as well.

Good luck!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
anilmanu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilmanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:04pm
Thanks. 'll try this tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 3:16am
Cool, good luck!
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
anilmanu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilmanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 11:23pm
Any suggestions on Japanese hair straigntening. How good is it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 3:03am
Personally I don't think chemical straightening is a good idea as it uses very harsh chemicals that aren't good for your hair or for the environment.  It is also very expensive and leaves you with no versatility in the way that your hair looks.  However, I appreciate that some people have tried it and loved it, obviously it is up to you.  I guess it depends on your natural hair type and the look you want to achieve.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 11:44pm

your hair does not have to be BONE DRY to be iron. i mean if you had washed your hair, it would even more damaging to blow dry it until it is bone dry. you can blow dry it until it is almost dry. but if your hair is dry to begin with, no sense to wet it again.

japanese straightning, great stuff, very popular in asia, and quite cheap, coz every salon here is providing the service. it is the most effective straightening method. it has to. i mean frying your hair up to 180 celsius.. and the process takes a minimum of 2.5 hour with short hair.

ARGHH
anilmanu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilmanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 12:23am

But japanese straihtening costs 500$ here.. In the US.

My problem .. i'm bit afraid of using the straightening rod. I feel it's gonna damage my hair. I'm having hair just till my shoulder only. My only problem.. it gets frizzy .

So whats the solution?

claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 12:19pm
well if you want it straight but afraid using the iron, just use a blow drier, its more fussy than an iron, but less damaging.
ARGHH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 3:04am
Originally posted by claribuzz claribuzz wrote:

your hair does not have to be BONE DRY to be iron. i mean if you had washed your hair, it would even more damaging to blow dry it until it is bone dry. you can blow dry it until it is almost dry. but if your hair is dry to begin with, no sense to wet it again.

I disagree.  To get the best effect, hair should be 100% dry before straightening.  As I said above, this doesn't have to be achieved with a hair dryer or any other kind of heat styling before using the irons.

Originally posted by trophywife trophywife wrote:

Let your hair air dry before straightening so it doesn't suffer twice the heat damage from being blowdried as well.

Anilmanu, good luck with whatever you decide.  Heat-styling doesn't really cause very much damage, if it is only done once a week and you take care of your hair with heat-protective and moisturising products.  I guess it depends on whether you can put up with a little bit of damage to get your hair looking much better. 

Alternatively, if you are just trying to get rid of frizz, have you tried using a serum like John Frieda's Frizz-Ease?  Or other frizz-reducing products like the Frizz-Ease shampoo and conditioner or the Paul Mitchell "Skinny" range.  There are also cheaper products available from Garnier (Fructis Sleek and Shine), TreSemmé, etc.  Maybe you could try one of those first...

I wish you all the best with it.

Edited by trophywife
anilmanu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilmanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 10:50pm

mm.. Lotta advice... but 'm still not perfect in ironing my hair..

Shud also look for those frizz control products..

Thanks a lot for your advics guys..

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic