Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finding a good stylist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding a good stylist
    Posted: February 08 2006 at 11:37pm

I've read many horror stories here. I seem to have a knack for finding really good stylists (who do ONLY what I ask them to do and nothing more) and I'll list what I look for when choosing a stylist.

Please add what you look for in a good stylist. I'm making this a sticky so everyone who comes here will be able to easily find it and hopefully won't have so many "bloopers" in the future.

1. First, go to the stylist for a NON-chemical service: a wash and trim, a wash and set, a blowout, or a wash and curl. Pay close attention to what they do to your hair every second. Do they just trim without asking how much? Do they hold your hair out and ask if it's OK to trim a particular amount before they cut? Do they pass you from one assistant to another: one shampoos, one cuts, one drys? Do they do your hair only, or do they try to serve 3 or 4 at a time? This will give you a good indication of how much they will pay attention to you and what you say. Do this at least TWICE before asking for a chemical service.

2. Ask your stylist a lot of "what if" questions regarding different treatments and styles, even those that you're not taking seriously. Do they tell you that everything you suggest could be done? Or do they let you know which treatments may not work for your hair type? Do they admit if they don't know how to do a particular treatment, or if they've never done a particular treatment? Also, ask questions regarding your long term plans for your hair.

3. Stay away from stylists with "punk", trendy, or "creative" haircuts/colors if you're not the type who likes them for yourself.

4. During your first non-chemical visits does your stylist try to persuade you to do something you really don't want, even if they want you to "just think about it"? If you're a brunette, and your stylist keeps telling you what a gorgeous blonde you'd make even AFTER you remind her that you DON'T want blonde hair, this is a sign that she/he really doesn't respect what you want to do with your hair.

6. Ask his/her opinion on products. Do they try to convince you that only products sold in their salon are good, or will they also let you know of store brands that may benefit you?

7. Never allow a stylist to try "something new" on your hair that you haven't already considered before entering the salon. If you're only going in for a basic trim, and your stylist is trying to talk you into bangs and highlights (and you've never considered them for yourself), FIND ANOTHER STYLIST.

8. Beware of stylists who ask too many personal questions. Asking how many children you have and your line of work is OK. If they have an interest in where you and your husband eat out, how long you've driven your current car, what part of town you live in, how much are your house notes, stay away from them. I haven't had it happen to me, but I've heard too many horror stories from women who had stylists ask them a million questions, and later had the stylist "accidently" ruin their hair because they were jealous of something.

9. Don't be the guinea pig for a stylist's new found skills. She just took a class on layering last week, and she thinks your hair will be so pretty in layers...even though you've had AND LIKED blunt cut hair for the past 15 years. Nope.

10. BE VOCAL. Don't just go in and say "I want a trim." Hold your hair out and say, "I want this much trimmed and nothing more."  Don't just say "I want highlights". Take pictures if you have to and say "I want highlights HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE maybe 2 shades lighter than my natural hair."  Don't just say "I want my hair dyed brown". Take pictures of the exact shade of brown: light, ash, dark, reddish brown?

11. The bottom line is that you pay them to do your hair the way YOU want it. If they EVER want to do it how THEY want it, you suggest to them that THEY pay for it. And if they SCREW UP your hair and want to "fix" it, DON'T ALLOW THEM TO DO IT. Take pictures immediately. They're wanting to "fix" it is just to cover up any evidence that they've done something wrong, and you still don't get what you went for. If they don't give you what you want, don't give them another chance to give you SOMETHING ELSE you don't want. Where's the logic in that?

That's all I can think of at this time. Post whatever ideas you have.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 11:45pm

Another two I forgot:

Don't allow a stylist to guilt you into going to them more often than you want to. If they tell you to come in every 6 weeks for a trim, but you only want a trim twice a year, don't let them push you. If they make a big deal out of your "roots", but you don't mind them, don't let them push you into more frequent touchups.

Be sure the stylist does "your" hair, and is not trying to get your hair to look/behave like someone else's hair that is nothing like yours. If you have very thick, curly, dark hair, your hair is not going to look exactly like Jennifer Anniston's hair, I don't care what you do to it. You can aim for a SIMILAR style or color or texture, but don't expect to have "Jennifer's hair". Any stylist who tells you she can give you "THAT" hair is lying to you.

Edited by Renata22
FabulousHairExt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FabulousHairExt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:21pm
A few good points but, if your stylist tells you that you need to have your hair trimmed every 6 weeks it's because you need to! No one should only have there hair trimmed once a year! Also if you have curly thick dark hair and you want jennifer annistons hair it can be done, A thermal straightener which would make your hair permanently straight, and then it's as simple as a light brown hair color, highlights, and a long layered hair cut http://www.hairbygia.com/images/ashleybeforeandafter1.jpg
fyi I know my spelling sux!
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 2:10pm

I would have to disagree with you. If the customer doesn't want a trim for their hair, it doesn't matter if they need one or not. The point is for the customer to get what they want, if feasible. Stylists tell us we "need" a lot of things, but if we don't WANT it, there's no reason to get it.

As for the "Jennifer", it can be made similar, but if the person's hair is thicker (even if straightened) it's not going to be exactly the same, only similar. It's not going to have the same hang, the same swing, etc. Now if your hair type is closer to her hair type, it may be possible.

katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 8:29am

HI,

I TRUST MY FRIENDS, AND FAMILY TO TELL ME THEIR PERSONAL STYLISTS, WHOM THEY RECCOMEND.

God Bless,...
Katie
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 11:33am
I agree with Renata about trim frequency. We live in a world where many stylists don't seem to have the skill to be able to trim less than an inch. If someone is trying to grow their hair out and they keep going back to their stylist every 6 weeks asking for 1/2 inch trims and getting an inch cut instead they aren't going to grow very much.

This past week two of my friends went to salons only wanting a small trim and both of them had their hair cut about a foot or more without being asked if it was ok. Somehow I don't think these two are going to be going back to their stylists every 6 weeks for a trim.

I know there are good stylists out there who can be trusted but unfortunately the bad ones drive away the good clients.

Edited by PurpleBubba
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 6:58pm
Excellent guidelines, Renata!  Thank you for taking the time to compile your list.  I hear and read of countless horror stories involving stylists who disregard their customers clearly-stated requests.  Despite all the hours of training required for the license, it still seems that many stylists do not realize who the customer is.
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 9:42pm

Another tip:

If your stylist has an attitude with you before she/he even starts doing your hair, walk out and never go back. If they have an attitude after they've started or have done your hair, don't go back.

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 3:29am

Interesting post.  Just seen it.  Couldn't agree more with point 11.  Many years ago I had long, natural, shiny hair in excellent condition.  (That was before I started dying it!)  I had a wash and cut and when it was all finished, the manageress of the Salon came over, praised the condition of my hair and asked me to come back in 3 days time to be a model/guinea pig for highlights or lowlights....I can't remember which but I know it was a new technique at the time.

I wasn't the slightest bit interested and was working that day anyway.   As an incentive to make me take the day off work, she said "We'll let you have the highlights for half-price."  I couldn't believe my ears and was amazed that she expected me to pay so she could train her staff.  Not that I would have agreed to it if it had been free!  My hair colour was already gorgeous then and didn't need changing.

Immortal2111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Immortal2111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 8:07pm
Man I break all those rules lol. I enjoy the punk/odd colour kinda combos so I go into a salon and look for the girl with the strangest hair and go straight to her, i actually met a good friend of mine doing that. I just had crap extensions done and went to a new salon to get them out and 2 of the girls in particular were so nice and helpful with me that I just went back to one of them for colour and the other for a cut having never seen their work before, I told them to do whatever they wanted. They both asked me what is one thing that I would HATE to walk out of their looking like so I told them one thing each and away they went!!!, I guess I am lucky it turned out AMAZING I have literally never been happier!

Edited by Immortal2111
Tisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 3:19pm
All of those tips are fantastic! It is hard to stick by them. I have very difficult hair, kinky. I had only one good stylist in my life and for 5 years I had movie star hair, she moved away. Every other stylist I've been to eventually does something blatant to destroy my hair just to get rid of me and I never understand why, except that maybe they have to work too hard. I'll tip $50 on a $30 service if I'm happy with it. One girl had been cutting my hair for a year and I hadn't asked for bangs, she stepped in front of me and when she moved back she had cut 2" bangs and I had little poodle puffs on each side of my no bang center parted haircut. What the hell happened? And you can NEVER go back to them and point out they've made a mistake, they don't take that well at all!
sadgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 4:19pm
Cry Dead I wish I could have read your post before getting my haricut 2weeks and 2 days ago.  I'm still very upset over it. 

My husband was comeing home from a 2 week business trip and I wanted to look extra nice for him.  I went in for a trim with layers on the bottom.  Layers so that it would curl pretty on the ends.   This is the same cut that I got from the same person last time I went to her.  I've been wairing my hair the same way for over 15 years.   She said she learned a new technique for cutting layers with a razor, and if she did it the cut would look the same.  She cut off 10- 12 inches in the back with a razor.  She also used thinning shears in the back, something I never would have given her permission to do.  The sides are a lot longer, and nothing is the same length.   It looks terrible, and I can't do anything with it except for put it up into small clips and barrettes.  Luckily she left enough length on the sides to bring to the back into clips to look like a week twist.  So now I walk around looking like I'm ready to do yard work. 

I am a liscenced hairdresser and wouldn't do this to my worst enemy.  I'm not going to have it fixed by one of my "fellow professionals"  (notice the parentheses, what a joke).  I don't practice in a salon, but do cut my familys hair, and my parents hair.  I'm a stay at home mom.  I've also been asked to cut my husbands coworkers hair, which I took as a great compliment.  I'm alway very cautious and careful when I do someones hair.  I know its a big part of their life,  so I can't comprehend why someone would do this to anyone.

It's like having a bad hairday for what is going to be months.

Thank for the list,
sad girl
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 2:17pm

Good to know. Thanks for the tips.

Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 6:20pm
I'm terrible with being assertive to hairdressers. Beforehand I list all these things I plan to request, when I get there I'm just like (er, trim and colour). That's why i love photos.
cwa14n3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwa14n3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 8:13pm
"Stylists" are barbers that sell HAIRCUTS! Razors and thinning shears are used to tear up hair. Damaged hair needs to be cut MORE OFTEN. That is more haircuts. Barbers sell haircuts, color jobs and perms. They SELL services, they are not paid to help you grow your hair long to be stunningly beautiful. Beautiful long hair does not put money in their pockets. You can be their "friend" with a frumpy damaged haircut, you paid a premium for! Or grow your hair long.  And smile at them when you pay for your gas. 98% of beauty school graduates go on to rewarding careers in fast food, convenient/grocery stores or aspire to get a government job with benefits. No more "professionals", than vacuum cleaner sales people. PS don't let them cut your hair with a "Suck Cut" vacuum cleaner attachment either.
Just Me
cwa14n3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwa14n3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 8:34pm
You need to look in the mirror and assert you have value as a person. Decide that the barber works for YOU. Define what you want and be in control. You are the customer, who pays their salary. If they are not mature enough to comply...WALK OUT!. I have been giving haircuts to lady friends as an "interim measure" until they found a stylist they could "trust" for over 15 years for a couple friends. They insist on paying, I refuse,  but now they just send birthday and Christmas cards with restaurant gift cards. They cannot find a stylist/barber that won't chop off their hair. I have taught a couple guys how to cut their lady's hair, and they really can do a great job, but I shy away from mentioning I can give a good haircut, because I have lady friends that feel slighted, that I never told them I could cut their hair BEFORE they received a bad chop. I do emergency hair repairs, but I wonder how any licensing board would not just throw these hacks out the door rather than giving them a license? Like a driver's license, and then they chat on their cell phone and crash into the oncoming traffic. You cannot cure stupidity, but you do NOT have to fund it!
Just Me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic