Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please help me fix my bad perm!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
katiesmom2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katiesmom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help me fix my bad perm!!
    Posted: February 10 2006 at 6:22pm
Okay, I haven't had a perm in 15 plus years. I got the bright idea to get a perm in my past the shoulders hair. I told my stylist I wanted a curl tight enough that I wouldn't have to style it all the time, but that i didn't want a poodle perm. I specifically showed him a photo in a magazine of a bushy afro and told him..."I don't want this". He laughted and said "I'd never give you that eighties hair".

That is just what I got. I have a poodle perm that is way too tight. I can't believe how bushy it is. DH thinks it's funny.

Is there anything I can do to help relax it? I don't even care if I got back to straight and forfeit the money I spent. I want this gone.

I don't want to go back to this stylist. When he asked if I liked it I told him it was pretty bushy and he said it would settle down in a week or two.

I was told not to wash it for 48 hours. If I wash it now, will that help? Is there a home remedy of some kind?

HELP!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katiesmom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 9:44am
Anyone?? PULEEEEEEZ!
KB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 5:04pm

I always thought stylists advised their clients to not shampoo for at least 48hrs after a perm BECAUSE of the fact that it might loosen the curl or make the perm fall out.  What is the worst that could happen if you decide to wash it? 

Do you trust your stylist enough to go back to him and have him relax it a bit?  I'm just wondering why your hair got "bushy" when you specifically asked for it to not be.  Why didn't he use a larger roller?

KB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 5:08pm

Okay, posting again because I reread your post and you said you definitely didn't want to go back to your stylist again.

Your stylist was probably right in saying to wait a week or two before having anything done with it again.  I think what will probably be done is a reverse perm - which means that perm solution will have to be applied to your hair only without the rollers this time.  It could be pretty damaging so make sure you trust the person doing this to your hair and please don't try anything at home.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katiesmom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 4:38pm

Thanks for your reply.

I think I am going to call my stylist. Of course, he closed early yesterday and isn't open on Mondays, so I'll have to wait until Tuesday.

I tried washing and conditioning for the past two days and no change. I am getting more and more frustrated. We are going on vacation in 2 weeks and this is the last thing I need.

My stylist uses RUSK products and I know they have an anti-curl on their list of services. Will that work for me?

At this point, I need the curl to be relaxed a lot - and I honestly don't care if I end up with straight hair again. I just need to get rid of these little curls.

My hair is also colored and my stylist said before perming it that it would be very porous and he'd watch it carefully, so I'm guessing the solution stayed on too long for my hair.

I hope something can be done. I'm worried that he'll say the anti-curl will be too harsh.

Thanks for your suggestions - I hope I get some results!

Edited by katiesmom2
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 4:59pm

hi , sorry to hear about you hair problem. It sound like the guy left the perm on too long , and didnt use the correct size of rods. a perm should only be left on for 10-15 mins , and he should be checking the curl every 5 mins. A soloution is to go to another stylist and have your hair chemicaly straightened , the only thing this could cause more damage to your haie. I used this in our salon for a friend who has natural curls , and her hair is now smooth and sleek she loves it , didnt cause damage (good hair) anyway best of luck . oh and stay away form the last stylist

karen

karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic