Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to correct shoe polish black hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lylemahan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lylemahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to correct shoe polish black hair?
    Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:42pm

3 days ago I used Clairol Hydrience Peral Black permanent color on already color treated hair (a salon dye job of dark brown was fading to red).  I don't know what I expected, but I now am the "proud" owner of shoe polish black hair with absolutely no highlights or shine.  It looks extremely fake.  Is there any way to tone down or lighten the black effect without coloring it again (home or salon).  Any home remedy?  A friend told me washing your hair several times with dishwashing soap would lessen the color.

Edited by lylemahan
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:06pm
It will fade a little that's for sure if you've only just dyed it, and it will tend to fade to a black/brown, especially if that's whats underneath.  Dandruff shampoo always worked best for fading my hair colour that had gone too dark.

There is another solution though, a color remover such as Colorfix or Goldwell is gentle on the hair compared to bleaching, and it will take your hair down to a brown again depending on how long you leave it on.  After I stripped my black hair (it was also dull and unnatural looking after a while) it left me with a mid brassy brown, which I had to dye over to reduce orange tones, but my hair was glossy again, and I was thrilled.  My hair LOOKED healthy, and that was the important thing for me.

Always strand test before colour removing or dyeing to determine your preferred results, I learned this the hard way like so many others!!!

Edited by aubergine
bombycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bombycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 1:14pm
I think you should  skip it at home remedys.  I ended up doing nearly the same thing as you and tried them all.  None of them worked for me, and they all dried out my hair very badly. It felt like straw when wet.  Colorfix took the color up to a nice brown color, and didn't damage seem to damage my hair.

However if you would like to try the at home remedys-
* dish soap + shampoo- lather and let sit on hair for 15 minutes
*baking soda + shampoo- same as above
* Prell or Tar shampoo- lather and let sit
*Deep condition after all of these!

Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 11:49am
I used Herbal essences Sapphire black and it made my hair silky and shiny and smooth. I used FERIA black when I was a teenager and it made my hair look fake and made it frizz. It all depends on the color. Let it fade and maybe apply a light or dark chocolate brown..
~* Bambi Lee *~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic