Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frizzy and fine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frizzy and fine
    Posted: February 14 2006 at 1:18pm
I've been trying really hard to clean up my act and use only organic products, free of parabens, sodium lauryl sulfate and petrochemicals. This is turning out to be difficult though - my hair is very fine and curly/frizzy and these "clean" products seem to make my hair worse than ever (limp, dull, fizzy, dry, stringy, you name it.) My hope, by writing here today, is that someone out there may have found a really good shampoo and conditioner that doesn't contain a lot of nasty stuff but actually works for hair like mine.

Advise anyone?
marina
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 7:06pm

Hi Marina

If the unnatural products seem to work better for you (without ill side-effects), then you may want to consider going back to them (or to some of them). Somehow, going natural is not all it's cracked up to be IF (IF) there is no noticeable difference in the way your hair or scalp feels. Sometimes, and at least in my experiences with natural products, the only benefit is the "good feeling" or placebo effect that I get from using a natural product.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is definitely not good for the scalp though, that's a generally sure thing.

I think the one most reliable way for you to find a good S/C is to experiment, experiment, experiment. If you have friends with whom you can swap shampoos and conditioners to try, go for it. Or what you can also do is buy those sample sizes for travel.

Great that you are ingredient conscious!  

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 7:54pm
I have fine and somewhat frizzy hair (it's frizzy when damaged, and wavy when healthy). I have good luck with diluting my shampoo and mostly conditioning during the week and shampooing only rarely (once or twice a month). I know it sounds weird, but my hair is so dry that the frizz is really a result of the dryness, and doing conditioning-only washes during the week really keeps the frizz down and the softness-quotient up! It took me about a month for my hair to adjust to mostly conditioning washes. It does get a bit limp toward the end of the week, but the health of my hair has definitely improved. I use Aveda shampoos (diluted), and Aveda conditioners (diluted) as well as Giovanni Direct Leave-In. The Phyto line works well for me but is more expensive. I think Anais' advise on experimenting is good. Keep searching and trying different things and keep notes on what works and what doesn't. Take care!
mina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 10:31pm
Thank you so much for the advice, Anias and SpecialKitty. This last couple of times I washed my hair I tried the "less is more" idea and just shampooed the roots and conditioned the ends, then used a tiny bit of Giovanni Leave-In Conditioner just on the ends after. Then I just let it air dry. My hair's actually looking better. I think maybe I'll try the conditioning-only washes and see if that help with the frizz. I just started using ShiKai Color Reflect Conditioner and it smells SOOOOOO good!

Thanks again,
Mina
marina
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 12:00pm
Great news, Marina! Write back and keep us posted!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 12:22pm
Glad it helped, Mina
my LJ, 40 inches long
mina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:39pm
Well heck, I FINALLY tried the conditioner-only wash this morning, and I can't remember that last time my hair has felt so soft. It really was a good idea. I resisted it for awhile because I was so stuck on the idea that you must use at least a little shampoo. Thank you, SpecailKitty. I'm sold.

Mina
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic