Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about keratin bonding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
elio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about keratin bonding
    Posted: March 10 2006 at 10:46am
Hi there!

I bought a heat wand and 200 "u-shaped" strands of human hair on eBay last night, and I'm all excited and nervous about trying it out.

But before I do, I have some questions I hope you can help me with;

1. I am going to dye the hair, both the "real hair" (my sisters own hair) and the "fake hair". I would like to do so after I've installed the hair (I usually do it before, but I think it's so messy), but is that possible? Could I damage the bonds, and can I even color the bonds at all? The hair is medium brown and I am going to dye it dark red and maybe dark brown; will the bonds look strange?

2. After taking the extensions out, am I able to re-use the hair if it's still in good shape? How?

I would be deeply thankful for your answers!
All I want is all I need.
Naked Eye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naked Eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 11:54am
1. Yeah, I have did it both ways. I never did fusion (I assume that's what
you are doing) I have dyed it with shrinkies and microlinks and had no
problems with the bonds, the only thing I can think of was one time The
hair was blond, and I dyed it red, but at the bonding site, the hair was still
blonde. But if you are doing brown and dark red, it wont be too much of a
difference, just try to keep the bonds small so you can color most of it.

2. Usually you can re-use the hair. I have been able to re-use all of mine,
except one, because the hair was so horrible!! What hair did you buy on
ebay? I've had one seller that was AMAZING hair, and the other looked
amazing, but was just cheap asian hair with tons of silicone on it (that's
the hair I threw away.)
PRNCEZZRAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRNCEZZRAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 1:15pm

I colored my hair when my megahair was in I went from bleached blond to dark brown and I put the dye all over my head including the bonds.  My bonds became a little looser and the hair seemed to shed even more.

elio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Naked Eye Naked Eye wrote:

1. Yeah, I have did it both ways. I never did fusion (I assume that's what
you are doing) I have dyed it with shrinkies and microlinks and had no
problems with the bonds, the only thing I can think of was one time The
hair was blond, and I dyed it red, but at the bonding site, the hair was still
blonde. But if you are doing brown and dark red, it wont be too much of a
difference, just try to keep the bonds small so you can color most of it.

2. Usually you can re-use the hair. I have been able to re-use all of mine,
except one, because the hair was so horrible!! What hair did you buy on
ebay? I've had one seller that was AMAZING hair, and the other looked
amazing, but was just cheap asian hair with tons of silicone on it (that's
the hair I threw away.)

I'm sorry if I mixed up the terms; I am going to use a heat wand to melt u-shaped hair (I presumed the u-bonds were keratin, but maybe the aren't?). I know what it's called in Swedish, but not in English.

I bought everything from "real_thing_really" on eBay, here's an auction with the same sort of hair that I purshased: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-light-brown-human-hair-extensions-2 00-strands_W0QQitemZ6857658727QQcategoryZ60188QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

To be honest, I didn't search for super good quality, since I want to try the method first (it would be a bummer if I didn't succeed, and spent a lot of money on really great hair). The seller seem OK, though. That's all that matters right now.

I think I am going to try to dye the hair when the extensions is installed. After all; it's the method I want to try; how long it will last I guess is up to the hair/glue, not the procedure? Or am I wrong? Of course the hair will fall out if I don't install it properly, but asume that I do that; would the bonds hold no matter the quality of the hair? Sorry for the follow-up questions, but I just want to suck in as much information as possible before I start.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2006 at 10:51am

I would say for some fusion glues, hair color can break down the bonds. 

It's much easier to color the client's hair and the extension hair off the head.  I do root touch ups on clients with hair extensions, but I am careful to keep the color off the extensions.

Hopefully you are only going to deposit a darker color or tone the extension hair, and not try to lift color (lighten it).  Lightening extension hair can be tricky, and if you need to do that it would be much better to do it off the head.

Good luck!

elio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 12:58pm
metalgirl - I'm not going to bleach the hair, just color it darker/more red. :)

__

But I'm still not sure how I can re-use the hair. I guess all the glues comes off after you take out the extensions. Then I'm left with bulk hair, more or less. So how do I re-apply glue to the hair strands, and which glue shall I use? Is it time consuming?
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 8:08pm
Some of the hair is salvigable but most isn't unless the bond slides out by accident, then you can reattach. In my experience when I use acetone to get them out I can't really use much of the hair again. 
californiagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 9:56pm
Naked EYE- What type of hair do you prefer??? Your hair looks fab!
Current install: 18" Bohyme 18/22 mixed with 613 -200 microlinks.....pre tipped by me!!! (never again!)
Club Salon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Club Salon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 9:08am
I would not try to re use pre tipped fusion due to the amount of hair that will be lost during the time you are wearing them and you will not be able to rebond then securely after the removal process. It is better to just use new ones each time
Club Salon
http://www.clubsalonspa.com
Naked Eye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naked Eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 9:32am
Elio- Real thing really is the hair that I bought for my first extensions too.
He has 2 different suppliers, and that's from the other supplier. But, I
definately want to try that one, because the hair that I got was AMAZING.
Definately comparable to hair I have spent 3x the money on! The strands
are nice and thick, and it holds up amazingly well, especially for the price!
I e-mailed him a lot, and he said the second supplier (the hair you
ordered) is just as great. Let's hope, and let me know how it goes!

California- Thanks! In that picture I have Lush hair in, it wasn't my
favorite hair. It would look great (like in the pic) right after stying, but at
the end of the night, it wouldn't look like that!! Right now my favorite hair
is above from the eBay seller, and Elite Remy (which I currently have in)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic