Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 Questions About Toner...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Questions About Toner...
    Posted: March 20 2006 at 1:19am
1. Does toner only work on products of the same brand? (i.e. Clairol toner with only work for Clairol bleach produsts, and Matrix toner for Matrix color)
2. My hair is a extra light (almost platinum) blonde, but I'm afraid to put purple toner on it because it might turn purple.  Any suggestions on how to successfuly tone, such as leaving it on for a short amount of time?
JerCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 12:44pm

I can't answer your first question with any certainty, but I think you can mix and match.  I think that lines are meant to be used together because they're formulated the same way to give more predictable results. So, you probably can and I'm sure many people do, but don't quote me.

As for toning suggestions, do a strand test first.  I would also use a porosity equalizer first on hair that light to ensure that the whole head will process the same. 

When hair is that light, it can be extremely porous in places and not as much in others, which means that the color processes more or less quickly in different patches.  This could make some of your hair grab the base color (purple) while others turned out fine.

So, porosity equalizer, then strand test a few strands.  I would recommend standing in front of a mirror and using a stopwatch.  Keep checking the strand for the desired tone and see what time it took to process.  Then you can go back to do the whole head and know what time to process.  It can be as little as seconds to as long as 30 minutes depending on what product you use.  Read the label to see what is recommended for the product you pick, including whether the hair is to be wet, dry or shampooed & towel-dried.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic