Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wool & Yarn Extensions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*elle* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *elle* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wool & Yarn Extensions?
    Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:25pm
Does anyone here have experience with either?  I am researching the wool extensions because I am thinking about doing a new dreadlock look using the light wool.  Not sure if this is the right place to post this but thought I would ask anyways. Thanks in advance for any info.

Edited by *elle*
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:31pm

Hi,

I have researched these quite a bit but have never worn them myself as it would not work for my business face. 

I had an acquaintence here in Dallas who wore them as part of her dreads.  She started low key with white that matched her hair color more or less then then went with brightly colored.  Her look was pretty radical for Dallas, Texas.  :-)  I believe that she had the first ones put in for her but started experimenting.  It is a very interesting look. 

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:35pm

Hi elle and welcome to the board. You might not find alot here on the wool or yarn extensions, but the hair-heaven forum (taking the quinnster forum's place) has lots of great info on wool, roving, dreads, braids,and other types of extensions.... and a lot of very creative people http://www.extra-muffins.com/hair/

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:03pm

Hi Sher,

In your current photo are you wearing the 22 inch Bohyme straight with Protac tape?  You look awesome.

By the way, maybe this has already been discussed, but why is Quinnster closing?

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
*elle* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *elle* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by sherrie215 sherrie215 wrote:

Hi elle and welcome to the board. You might not find alot here on the wool or yarn extensions, but the hair-heaven forum (taking the quinnster forum's place) has lots of great info on wool, roving, dreads, braids,and other types of extensions.... and a lot of very creative people http://www.extra-muffins.com/hair/

Thank you Sherrie.  I appreciate the link.  I will go check it out and see what I can learn. 

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:29pm

Quinnsters is closing due to part to the amount of money it cost to maintain the board, it was cheaper  to move to another place. And Quinnster (Kathryn I belive) has given up the hair extesnions and the interest, so someone else had been running it for sometime anyway.

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:43pm
They're uber heavy (especially when wet!), itchy, and devolip this... smell... after a while that no amount of washing can get rid of.
Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:59pm
I wore all kinds of yarn in mine on and off for years, you can spritz with a
dilute version of your perfume, or febreeze to keep them smelling sweet.
They are heavy though, I wouldnt recommend them as a first time extension,
haha, got to build up that tough head skin first :)
I didnt wash mine at all when they were in, I just washed my fringe area so it
wouldnt get greasy around my face.
I never wore roving dreads, I just used to make fat braids and twists and use
them like dreads.
Its fun to play around with because you can get all kinds of colours and
textures that you cant get with hair.
Check out the link Sherrie posted, theres lots of good info on there!
PirateQueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PirateQueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 4:13am
You really aren't supposed to get your hair very wet at all wearing
wool extensions, particularly roving, because if you do you can risk
getting your own hair felted in with the wool which would be a real
bitch to get out. Dry shampooing is recommended instead.
I'm puzzled as to why anyone would say they are heavy - they are
way lighter than synthetic dreads. And they only smell wierd (like
pure wool does- a sort of sheepy smell) if you get them wet.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 6:03am

Originally posted by PirateQueen PirateQueen wrote:

I ment they're heavier when wet.  painfully heavy.  and i know your not SUPPOSED to wash em, but when you work in a smoky enviorment night after night... there are some things fabreeze cant take care of.

But it did make me itch worse then any other extension Ive ever had.  I think I have a slight allergy or something

Edited by Kalika
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 9:21am

Originally posted by PirateQueen PirateQueen wrote:

My friend that had the wool dreads used cornstarch as a dry shampoo.  She used to get really itchy scalp and would try to pat it down with a little water.  She had wool put in by someone and they used a brand that did not smell.  Later she put them in herself and actually felted them herself.  Those actually smelled.  So I am guessing that she used a lower quality of wool or there was some other problem.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 9:22am

Originally posted by Dunebug Dunebug wrote:

I wore all kinds of yarn in mine on and off for years, you can spritz with a
dilute version of your perfume, or febreeze to keep them smelling sweet.
They are heavy though, I wouldnt recommend them as a first time extension,
haha, got to build up that tough head skin first :)
I didnt wash mine at all when they were in, I just washed my fringe area so it
wouldnt get greasy around my face.
I never wore roving dreads, I just used to make fat braids and twists and use
them like dreads.
Its fun to play around with because you can get all kinds of colours and
textures that you cant get with hair.
Check out the link Sherrie posted, theres lots of good info on there!

Hey Dunebug,

I would love to seem any images you have from when you had the yarn or the different colors.  Do you have any you can post?

Thanks in advance.

zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 10:40am
I actually have yarn in right now:

Please 'scuse the goofy photo. I can't just smile at the camera, apparently, I have to get all zombie on my friend.

Mine are only heavy when they're wet; most of the time they're lighter than my usual dreads, and I don't wash them much since they don't need it. The wool will not necessarily felt into your hair, btw; that only happens if the yarn is relatively loose (i.e., un-felted). If you use a tightly felted or spun yarn, that doesn't happen. And it only smells when it's wet (it smells like a wet sweater, for obvious reasons).

I totally recommend it, unless of course you've got a wool allergy. That obviously wouldn't work well with wool hair! But you can find a lot of yarns have have a low or zero wool content- the black and white yarn on my head is half wool, half Alpaca, which I guess is a less common allergen. There's lots of synthetic yarns too.

-Rae

Edited by zapevaj
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:40pm

Hi Rae,

I just love this look.  Thank you for posting it.  I wish I could do this. 

You look spectacular.

Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:06pm
I probably have some photos, I'll dig out my albums later tonight and scan
some in for ya!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic