Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red, over orange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ZiggyBoBiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZiggyBoBiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red, over orange
    Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:44pm

About one week ago I went to a salon to get my hair dyed, red red, not orangish natural red, but like blood red, to use as example, i guess, but it came out orange when she finished, becuase my hair didn't lift right when she bleached it cuase it's short, to get it red red again would i have to bleach it again. i've heard the term color doesn't lift color so that's why im asking, any suggestions would be apreaciated greatly.

James

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:23am

Well red is darker than orange so was your hair previously colored to a black or very dark brown? It is true that color doesn't lift color so if your hair was previously colored darker than the desired color then bleaching the hair is how it needs to be lightened. If the stylist did bleach your hair she probably removed some of the underlying red pigment and changed the underlying pigment to more of an orange then tried to put red over it...which means she lightened your hair a little too much with the bleach.

If you want to try and correct this problem you will need to go back into your hair before applying color and apply a red filler to add that underlying pigment back into the hair so the red had something to grab onto. Then apply your target color over that filler after it has processed and you will have more of a blood red color that you are looking for. Many color lines have what they call intensifiers and they are to give the color more intensity or in this case more of a reddish appearance....that might be something that would be a possibility as well.

Hope that helps to answer some questions you might have. There is no exact science to bleaching the hair because everyone lifts at different times so you might lighten quicker than the average person possibly because your hair is more porous than someone with virgin hair. What happened can be corrected easily with the steps I mentioned above. 

G'luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZiggyBoBiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 3:23pm

Thanks, my hair was a dark brown then she bleached it and it got more of a bronz color so she put red die over it and it turned burnt orange. By applying red hair filler what do you mean? Im new to this whole hair world of product ideas.

Edited by ZiggyBoBiggy
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 9:50pm

Underlying pigment in your hair strands is what gets exposed as the hair is lightened.

The following chart shows the natural underlying pigment which is exposed at each level. If the target color is a warm or fashion tone, no control is necessary. The underlying pigment will contribute brightness and vibrancy to the final result. If a natural tone if the desired color, simply use the appropriate counteracting color to control unwanted warmth (orange or gold). The result will be a more natural target color.

Underlying Pigment Chart....

1. -
  2. Black (none exposed)
  3. Darkest Orange
  4. Dark Orange
  5. Medium Orange
  6. Light Orange
  7. Extra Light Orange or Dark Gold
  8. Medium Gold
  9. Light Gold
  10. Extra Light Gold or Yellow

Yellow may appear as the underlying pigment on Level 10 when the hair is bleached. In this case use 10V (violet) as the controlling color.

For levels 2 - 7 the controlling color is Blue (Ash Series) & for Levels 8-10 the Controlling color is Blue Violet (Pearl Series).

If you hair was blonde lets say lvl 9 or lvl 10 the underlying pigment would be Gold or Yellow. If you wanted to go darker or do what's called a Tint Back you can't just put haircolor over the yellow or gold because in a Level 5 the dominant primary color would be blue and if you add blue to gold or yellow you get yep...you guessed it...GREEN! ACK!

By using a red filler you would be providing that underlying pigment that would allow the color to safely attach itself to the underlying pigment so the end result would be the target color you are looking for. If you don't fill the hair when going 2 levels or darker you will have problems with the haircolor turning out properly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZiggyBoBiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 12:37pm
Okay so your saying i need to get red filler i get that, but i don't know what a red filler is, and if I do get this red filler am i going to need to bleach my hair again before i try to color it?
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 12:54pm
Red dyes over orange. Just use lots of shampoo to fade it and start dying it pinkish/purpleish red tones. It should go red.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZiggyBoBiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 6:36pm
Even if the orange i have is dyed? becuaes i heard color doesnt lift color, so im j/w.
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:12am
Colour doesn't lift colour, that's true...but you're not going to be lifting you colour are you?

Lifting it would be trying to get it blonde from burnt orange, you just want it red, which is darker than orange....so it should dye over fine.  Bright red is difficult to maintain though, you hair will start to go orangey again with a few weeks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic