Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does eating jello really help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ChemicalRomance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChemicalRomance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does eating jello really help?
    Posted: March 24 2006 at 6:45pm

If you eat like one thing of jello per day can it help in faster hair growth, I heard gelatin in the jello helps hair grow or something. Do you actually eat it or wash ur hair with it?

"Our Sufferings on Earth Give Rewards In Heaven"
MCR Rocks
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:49pm

Whoa... that would be cool.

Although I think the sugar content would contribute to scalp itching, which leads to scratching, and possibly more frequent washing.

Maybe sugar free jello.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:59pm

On second thought, it can't hurt to try!  Is anyone open to eating jello for a month and tracking their growth?

I don't react well to sugary foods nor artificial sweeteners, otherwise I'd volunteer.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
dancingbarefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbarefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 1:23am
Gelatine, not necessarily Jell-O. If you aren't getting enough gelatine in your
diet, eating more might help you have stronger nails and hair. I'm not sure
that it will speed up growth, though.
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

On second thought, it can't hurt to try!  Is anyone open to eating jello for a month and tracking their growth?

I don't react well to sugary foods nor artificial sweeteners, otherwise I'd volunteer.

Anais

If someone decided to eat jello for a month, would that be once a day, two times a day, etc.? I'd volunteer, but I'm not sure if my hair would grow that much...I haven't really been tracking the growth...actually, I don't know if I've ever measured!!! Anyways, I'm willing to give it a shot, but, like I said, I'm not sure if my hair would cooperate...might just depend on the person's hair type.

RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 3:42pm

Is there such a thing as vegan or vegetarian gelatine? I had heard that it is made from animals.....

Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 4:19pm
/\  I don't think so - it would be kind of like asking for artificial honey.

BTW, I hve heard collodial minerals are good for hair.

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front
tinied View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tinied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 5:07pm

i actually take gelatine pills for hair growth and nails...been taking them for a year and my nails are so strong , they grow so fast , i have to cut them every 5-6 days...my hair has grown and is always shiny..ppl have asked me what i use in my hair to make it  shiny. i dont even have to use a shine serum in my hair   u can get gelatine pills at any health food vitamin store!

*D*
Karen26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 7:56am

It's not been proven to help, but here's some information I found on the net:

• Possibly promote nail health. The body already manufactures abundant amounts of the amino acids that gelatin provides, so it’s questionable whether extra supplies of these nutrients will help build or maintain healthy nails or hair.

The claims by Knox/Nabisco about its product for "nail health" are vaguely worded but imply that with its use nail and hair growth will improve. "Knox Orange Drinking Gelatin, with Natural Orange flavor and Vitamin C" is recommended by Knox for this purpose. Nail improvement is supposed to be noticeable after one to three months. Hard evidence to confirm this, however, is difficult to find. On the positive side, there’s no evidence that gelatin can harm you.

• Dosage Information

Special tip:
    --Powder formulations for use in drinks such as fruit juice or coffee should have instructions regarding amount on the label.
    --Most gelatin "packets" contain about 2.5 teaspoons of powdered gelatin.

For joint health: One packet daily

For nail health: One packet daily

Guidelines for Use

• If you are vegetarian and want to take supplements or medications in capsule form, consider alternative capsules made from agar-agar, a seaweed product, instead of animal-based gelatin ones.

• Anecdotal reports from consumers indicate that plain gelatin purchased off grocery store shelves is a lot cheaper and just as effective for them as the fancier, pricier supplement alternatives.

• Most of the powder formulations are not recommended for use in alcoholic or carbonated drinks.

• General Interaction

• There are no known drug or nutrient interactions associated with gelatin.

• Possible Side Effects

• Some people are allergic to bovine (cow) gelatin. If you require gelatin products for medical reasons, other sources, both fish-based and vegetarian, can often be substituted.
  • For full article:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525 ,10151,00.html

Susan W View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:47am
    I volunteer to eat jello everyday...I've been doing it anyway!  For about a month now I have eaten one serving of jello every day just because.  (Childhood nostalgia?  Stargate episode made me realize I'd never tried blue?  Dunno!).  My diet is otherwise vegetarian, but not 100%, and since jello doesn't look anything like meat its hard to think of it as meat related.

Hair growth:  My hair did grow what looked like about 2 mm. more than its usual half inch a month, but I only started eating it a week before my usual monthly growth week, so its too early to tell.  I'm waiting to see what I get this month.  I will find this thread again after that and post here to tell you.

Nail growth:  I wouldn't say they're any stronger as I just broke off 2 of 'em yesterday.

I used to hate green jello when I was a kid, but after eating all the flavors recently, I think its my favorite one.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
    SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:06am
    Susan, that is so cute that you're eating all those different colors of jello! Does it make you feel like a kid? I am trying to remember back to when I ate jello - I think I also liked the green and also the red. What does blue taste like? Looking forward to hearing the results of the experiment.
    Susan W View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:21am
    I don't really feel like a kid, but it does bring back memories of times I ate it when I was a kid - memories I never would have thought of otherwise since they don't have any other associations.  Blue tastes kind of like a mixture between raspberry and blueberry (that's what's on the box too, but they did a pretty good job of imitating raspberry and blueberry).
    Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
    redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 9:58am
    Originally posted by SpecialKitty SpecialKitty wrote:

Is there such a thing as vegan or vegetarian gelatine? I had heard that it is made from animals.....

Vegan girl here!

Yes you can get vegan gelatin....look in your local health food shop...you can get packets of vegan gelatin to make your own jello. Or depending on the size of the shop, they might have some pre-packaged stuff
    Susan W View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:13am
    Okay, so I'm kicking this thread back up like I said I would.  After 2 months of eating jello every day, I give you the response you probably expected....I don't see any difference.  That first month I thought it grew a little longer than usual, this month, I got hardly no growth at all (my hair WOULD choose now to go into a resting phase right when I was trying to study it). 

There were confounds in this experiment anyway:
    1.  Being a vegetarian, its possible that the effect I got from the first month was because of something that a meat eater might be getting anyway (though not necessarily the protein, there's not really enough of that in jello to count, it even says that on the box, and I get far more of that from eggs, milk and cheese). 
    2.  Its getting warmer and I'm spending more time outside doing more active things, so that may also have accounted for the extra growth the first month. 

I may still keep eating jello though.  Now I like it.

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 2:41pm

This is a very interesting theory, gelatin is boiled animal bones, and *one might think* that marrow and protein may get in the jello from the boiled bones.  If you read the ingredients on a box of sugar-free jello, there is no mention of protein.  Protein is what you need for your hair to grow longer and healthier.  So, I don't think gelatin is a good source to supplement your diet with hopes of hair growing longer.

P.S.  And if you really love animals, you may want to avoid gelatin altogether  .

P.S.S.  I *love* my chemical romance

Edited by eatgreenjello

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 6:26pm

Susan, at least you had fun eating jello!  I've been meaning to make some but never get around to it.

sigh:

Jello. Yum

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
    DaveDecker View Drop Down
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 6:46pm
    Exactly, Anais.  I've got 4 boxes sittin' on the kitchen shelf, waiting to be prepared...

Good to "see" you posting again, eatgreenjello.  You're a fan of the lime flavor, I take it?

I just gave blood so maybe I should have some jello to help my body rejuvenate the missing bloodstream elements?

<thread hijack>
    P.S. Donation of blood saves lives... makes donation of hair seem completely unimportant.
    </thread hijack>

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 8:47pm

Hey Dave!  hope you're doing well!

Even though I totally LOVE animals and am an animal rights activist; I do go through phases where I eat jello (esp. green, LOL).  Then I'll be the oposite and not eat meat products at all.  It's all hormones.  Any female would agree.

*peace*

P.S. dave; re: your hijacked 'blood' sentence:  yes, donating blood rocks, my husband has had his life saved many times over from blood and plasma infusions; and I have a *very special* place in my heart for all who are healthy enough to take the time to donate blood.

Edited by eatgreenjello
    missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:28pm

I'm not allowed to donate blood :( but I think that ppl who do all deserve a big warm hug!!  As soon as the needle comes out, there should be hugging volunteers waiting to do their job.

As for the gelatin thing......when I was younger, my Mum used to buy these jelly beans that were high in gelatin. She used to get them from the Chemist and we'd eat them to make our nails stronger.  I went to look for them last week and they were nowhere to be found, perhaps they don't make them anymore?  I just thought this would be such a FUN way to get gelatin into your diet!!!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
    horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 12:51pm

Wow, rini, (sorry for going off topic!), your hair looks great and is growing fast!

RANITA~~
    -----------
    What good is life without a horse??!!!
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic