Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who cuts their own hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who cuts their own hair?
    Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:29pm
i suffer from stylist-phobia.. i do everything at home, including layering my own hair.

i have an oval face and want to change how my "bangs" look (they're more like short layers of my hair now).. what would u suggest, and how would i achieve the suggested look at home?

thanks in advance
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 8:29am
I have always cut my own hair.  It depends what exactly you are going for, how do you want them to look?
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 5:35pm
i'm not sure, whatever matches an oval face... something sophisticated and sexy, the cute teenage look isn't really my style.. any suggestions?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:31am
Oval can do anything according to the beauty industry, so anything you'd like.  The big style for bangs now is grown long to eye length and sideswept (but oooh those can get annoying if you don't like playing with hairspray in the mornings!).  If you don't want them cutesy, just don't cut them too short, leave them around eyebrow length to hang straight, or longer to sidesweep.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:16pm
yeah the sideswept thing is pretty common, my sister has it.. how would i go about cutting it though?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:49am
Well, since you cut your own hair already, you know that number one is take your time and take off only a little at a time to avoid going too short and to have room to correct any mistakes.  When I decide to cut bangs, I just separate out the parts of hair that I want to be bangs, deciding how far back on your head you want them to go, then pin all the other hair back to make sure you don't cut it accidentally.  A good judge of exactly what length they should be and how they should be cut is probably your sister.  She probably looks similar enough to you generally that what works for her would probably be pretty close to what's going to work for you (you may not look that much alike, but if you have similar foreheads that would work).  Just cut yours the same angle and length that hers are.  Ask her to hold hers straight for you so you can see if they are cut straight across or at an angle and so you can get an idea of the exact length, then just imitate it.

Edited by Susan W
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 10:57pm
hmm, intelligent suggestion for how to go about cutting it! thank you  i'll try it out
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 1:11pm

Hi,

I admit, I love cutting my own hair!!!!

I prefer my Stylist Mary to color it(highlights/lowlights) as necessary though.

God Bless,...
Katie
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 7:37pm
hello Katie.

yeah i understand, coloring is not always so easy, especially if ur doing high-/lowlights.. also if u don't know how to choose a suitable color. but if u know what color matches ur skintone, an all-over-application is usually pretty easy!
gizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:51pm
I cut my bangs. It's really not that hard to duplicate what a stylist can do with them.
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:48am

I have always cut my own hair. My sister did do it once or twice. I really like doing it, I just hate seeing hair coming out of my head. I have never colored my hair and never tend to(unless I get gray at an early age.)! I think that to get your bangs from looking like part of your hair,is to keep them cut really short and if you have problems with that.......go to a stylist.HTH!   ~~LISA~~

Without God all things are impossible!But with God all things are possible! ~~~Lisa9232~~~
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 1:14pm
thanks for the input everyone  i thought i was the only one who did so, glad to see i'm not alone 
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 2:32pm
My brother also does his own hair!() It's hilarous! I know alot of people that cut there own hair!
Without God all things are impossible!But with God all things are possible! ~~~Lisa9232~~~
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:51pm
wow! i've never seen a guy cut their own hair, that should be amusing lol.. but i would imagine it's tough to do, especially cutting the back of the head. my hair is long, so i can always bring it in front of my face to see what i'm doing, and i'm guessing that's not the case for him
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:29pm
nah...it's not! His hair is really short right now.He had it sorta long and then he dicided he was going to cut it and he cut it by himself..........all of it and it turned out pretty good even tho' he needs help around he ears.hehe.lol.
bob626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 9:10am
Ive cut my own hair and my Gf cuts her own to.  Sometimes we cut each others.  Either way Its fun for us.
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 2:36pm
lol i don't think i can trust my bf with my hair.. i don't think he'd even trust himself cutting my hair, he loves it way too much
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 6:42am

Hi,

I think it's common  for most people to try cutting their hair, at least once in their life.

However I feel like I can relate. I've been cutting my own hair for about 11 years now.

I usually get compliments on my hair. Plus I save money!;)

God Bless,...
Katie
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:08pm

Yea, you do save alot of money cutting your own hair...I've only done trims on my hair, which turned out pretty good, but I'm pretty sure I would trust myself doing my own hair. If you don't have a steady hand, of course, I wouldn't recommend doing it! And I don't know if my boyfriend would ever feel comfortable with cutting my hair, because I don't plan on getting it cut!

My brother also cuts his own hair...he's been keeping it short, but recently has started growing it longer, so I don't think it's all that unusual for guys to cut their hair and definitely not unusual for girls to.

RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 2:31pm
I also cut my hair at home, in a one-length bob roughly a bit past the tip of my beard. the back is not so hard to cut because my landlord has a rear-view mirror. the front is harder to cut so that it doesn't flip out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic