Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP NEED ADVICE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
agirard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agirard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP NEED ADVICE
    Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:55pm

Hi I am looking for any advice I can get. I am 41 with natural dark brown hair. For the last 6 years I have been getting my hair colored  light brown with heavy blond highlights. Two months ago I did not have time for the highlights and just did a touch up and then returned two weeks later for a full head of highlights. The coloor was horrible so I went back again 1 month later and did atouch up and once again afull head of highlights. Ok so now my hair is a mess DRY Brittle lots of breakage and fly away hairs. When the light shines on my head I can see SCALP which never happened before. Could this be overprocessed hair? Could I just be getting thinning because of myage? I am suppose to go back to the hair dresser soon and want to go back to my normal color.She said it will be a big process.Does this mean more Damage. I exercise and try to keep up with myself.

This has been really bothering me. I don't want to see scalp or go bald. I am not ready for that!!!!

ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

AGIRARD

Katze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 1:39pm
hi, your hair certainly sounds damaged. Bummer.

I have been a bleach/dye addict since I was 13, and am now 33 and 6 months without color/highlights/bleach. For my fine hair, all-natural and gentle handling is the way to go. Less washing, NO heat, putting it up, stuff like that. My hair was like yours sounds like, now, after a year of natural and gentle treatment, no color, no brushing, my hair is 1/4 inch thicker at the ponytail and looks and feels MUCH better.

I'm a refugee from the Long Hair Community where there is a lot of information about how to avoid damaged hair. Many people there are like me; they avoid heat, damaging chemicals (even those in shampoos), damaging tools (metal on hair elastics), and so on.

Here's what is helping my very fine and fragile color-damaged hair hair:

LOTS of moisture treatments.
No brushing or combing (I am a wavy, so I can do this)
No shampoo for 1.5 months!
Wearing it up when biking or outdoors
No heat (blowdryer, curling iron etc)

You don't mention your hair type, but this advice seems to be good for many people...maybe when the long hair community is back up you can check out some of the recipes and advice over there too.

good luck

Katze
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2007 at 1:34pm
deep penatrating conditioners. mayonaise, olive oil, protein 25 minutes-30 min under the drayer

good luck, and keep us posted.
hipsterguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hipsterguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2007 at 10:07pm
Skip the Mayo.  You need Grund Tiger Masque. It is a thick, intense, moisture treatment.  It is activated by heat. 

You need to stop getting your hair done so much.  You also need to pay extra for Redken Chemistry System Treatments after your color.  If you use cheap products, you get cheap results. 

Going back to dark can be done with semi-perminant color.  Many semi-permanents are conditioning glosses.  They make your hair feel better.  First your stylists adds the missing colors in your hair, yellow, gold, and orange.

Then they will put another color overtop of that.  That is called filling.  If it isn't filled, your hair will turn drabby or green.  Go somewhere that uses Redken and ask for shades eq.  That is a conditioning gloss full of wheat proteins to helps smooth your hair.

But I can't stress to stop over processing your hair.  You don't need to get a new style every month.  But you don't need to stop coloring all together.  Smart application and a knowledgeable stylist will help alot.

http://www.midwestsecondhandstyle.com/hairtipshome.html
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 3:28am
the point is a deep conditioner, and I am speaking from my own personal experience.

So "Skip the mayo" is not an option for me.

I hope you find what you need. 

sashi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 9:56am
Hi,

Your hair seems to be in a very bad shape. I think if you use more of hair softeners and strong conditioners it would do more harm then good. Since you have already subjected your hair to a lot of chemicals, I would suggest go for some natural treatments.

There is this site
http://www.cure-for.info

It has a lot of natural treatments mentioned. They are very easy to do and not harmful or have any side-effects.
I am saying this as I have been trying out their recipes since some time now and they seem to be really effective.

Try giving it a shot, may be they might help you also.

But you really need to take care of your hair now as the hair has become very brittle and rough.

sashi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic