Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RK Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BirdOfEden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RK Question
    Posted: April 10 2006 at 12:36am
For those of you who've ordered RK hair before, how long is the weft?  It says the single drawn machine weft comes in 8 ounces (2 packs).  Is that even enough for a full head?   I have no idea how many ounces I use, I go by inches of weft.

Edited by BirdOfEden
elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 7:26am

It does depend on what length you get, but typically the rule of thumb when ordering hair is this:

Hair typically comes in a pack weighing approx 1/4 LB (or 4oz) It takes two packs of hair at 1/4LB which is 8 ounces of hair (or 1/2 lb hair) for a full install based on 18-20" hair.

So one pack of hair (4oz or 1/4LB)  is approx 70 inches of weft when you measure horizontally. (one end to the other)

70 inches in one pack of hair = 178cm or 5.8 feet or almost 2 yards. 140 inches in two packs.

In addition to determine how much hair is to be used,  measure your head across from ear to ear or wherever you will be placing the wefts. An average head from ear to ear is 8-10 inches approx.

Example: You measure your head starting at the bottom row where the first weft is going to be placed. That measures 7 inches. The next three rows are going to be 8 inches. The next four rows up you will need 9 inches and the top two rows are to be 10 inches.

Add up all the inches: 7 + 8X3= 24 + 9x4= 36 + 2x10= 20 totally 87 inches of hair for that particular installation. I haven't ordered from RK in a long time, but these are just some estimations to decide what to buy when ordering hair. Hope this helps!

DivaHair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DivaHair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 11:38am
I'm not sure about RK hair, but I know my customers say that 2 packs of hair as long as it's not over 20" long, is plenty for them to do a full weave. So, 2 packs probaly is enough, if the hair isn't super long. HTH
~*Remy Hair at Affordable Prices*~http://www.divahairextensions.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 11:54am
Thanks!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 12:48pm
Great timing. I just had an RK order arrive (don't know what to do with all this hair...it's a sickness, friends )

The 22" hair is on a 74" weft and the 26" is on a 60" weft.

Definitely a nice looking bundle compared to the double-drawn of last year. Haven't worn this, however, so no opinion on that yet.

DivaHair, your site is almost identical to SultryHair all the way down to the same customer testimonial layout. Same product line as RK, too. Your hair isn't RK?
DivaHair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DivaHair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 1:27pm
I don't know who Sultry Hair is, but there are other stores that I've seen that look like mine, because we all use Merchant Moms for our website hosting. Like for example, this store is on Merchant Moms too http://www.sweetfeetboutiqueandthings.com/  They are all kinda the same, i'm working on getting a new layout for mine so it will be a little more orginal. No, I don't use RK, I have a supplier in India, but it isn't named RK. 

Edited by DivaHair
~*Remy Hair at Affordable Prices*~http://www.divahairextensions.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 5:27pm

Amm, what did you order?  Colored hair or virgin?  How long did it take to arrive?  Does it shed?

Just curious because I'm contemplating ordering their virgin machine weft. 

Oh, almost forgot, did you order a pound of each length? 

Edited by BirdOfEden
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 7:31pm
I got the "REMY SINGLE DRAWN MACHINE WEAVING" in #8 and #10; 8oz of each color so it's about a pound total weight. It took 6 days and that's with the weekend in between. I've pulled on the wefts and got a little extra hair out at first but nothing that caused any alarm. Nothing's coming out now so I think I cleared out all the loose strays. We'll have to see how it holds up for wear though.

Their virgin hair is at http://indianhairs.com and that is purchased by the pound.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 8:30pm

I'm confused !  What is the difference between:

RK's Natural Hair in Weft found here: http://rkhairproducts.com/WeftRolls.html and says it's "100% Remy Silky Human Hair" in "natural black, grey, or white" and "unprocessed & unbleached with natural cuticle in one direction"

RK's Virgin Remy found here:  http://rkhairproducts.com/virgin.html and says it's "highest quality".

IndainHair's Natural Straight Machine Weaving found here: http://indianhairs.com/onlinestores.html and on the same page further down it offers REMY Double Drawn.

On IndainHairs is says here http://indianhairs.com/largecorportes.htm that double drawn is 100% remy with all cuticles in the same direction, but that normal drawn the cuticles are in both directions.  But when you go back to RK Hair it says that single drawn is Remy.

I'm confused and maybe someone can enlighten me.  I'm just looking for single drawn, unbleached/unprocessed hair with all cuticles going in the same direction.  Which do I choose?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 11:15am
Oh, and another question.......does their hair actually come in the length you ordered?
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 11:24am

If you want unprocessed virgin hair, order any of these from http://indianhairs.com/onlinestores.html:

Natural Straight Machine Weaving
Natural Straight Hand Weaving
Remy Double Drawn Machine Weaving
Remy Double Drawn Hand Weaving

Indian Hairs has all unprocessed virginhair. RK hair has been processed (i.e. colored or permed -- depending on the hair you choose --their descriptions tell you which ones)

Any RK hair which specifically includes the word REMY in the description is Remy hair.. Anything else is not..

Edited by Divavocals
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 11:26am
Originally posted by BirdOfEden BirdOfEden wrote:

Oh, and another question.......does their hair actually come in the length you ordered?

I've found that it does. The lengths advertised are when the hair is straightened.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 11:45am
Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

I've found that it does. The lengths advertised are when the hair is straightened.
Ditto!
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 3:41pm

What would you recommend?  Should I get indianhairs "NATURAL STRAIGHT MACHINE WEAVING"  and bleach it with 40vol and powder, even though it doesn't say REMY or anything about cuticles in the same direction?

Or get the "NATURAL HAIR IN WEFT" from RK that says it's REMY and cuticles in the same direction, and just bleach it the same way?

Or get RK's "REMY SINGLE DRAWN MACHINE WEAVING" already bleached to 22 and 613 by them?  Though it doesn't say anything about cuticles in the same direction?

Which is the better idea?  I can't figure it out.

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 8:39pm
Have you ever bleached black hair before to a 22 or 613?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 9:04pm
Not at all.  I used to bleach my darkISH brown hair to 613.
Carla From VA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla From VA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 10:20pm
I have RK hair in the Remy, but my color is number 2.  I would think if you want to get 613, definitely get the remy, because the natural may be going in different directions, add that to the bleach and it may not lie smooth.  You don't want the dreaded weave puff.  I'm happy with my hair from them, it was clean when I got it.  When I washed it the first time before installation, I had to put a little bit of olive oil on it, it was dry.  After that it really looked fabulous.  If you go to indianhairs.com, on their corporate clients link, they describe the different between the natural straight and their remy hair.
ccross6032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 11:14pm

hey amm -

this is thread hijacking i'm sure, but if you get a moment (haha) - are the RK #8 and #10 true to most color rings, or are the colors different than you expected?

much thanks

cheryl

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 11:54pm

What would you recommend?  Should I get indianhairs "NATURAL STRAIGHT MACHINE WEAVING"  and bleach it with 40vol and powder, even though it doesn't say REMY or anything about cuticles in the same direction?

Or get the "NATURAL HAIR IN WEFT" from RK that says it's REMY and cuticles in the same direction, and just bleach it the same way?

Or get RK's "REMY SINGLE DRAWN MACHINE WEAVING" already bleached to 22 and 613 by them?  Though it doesn't say anything about cuticles in the same direction?

Which is the better idea?  I can't figure it out.

I had a lengthy e-mail conversation with the customer service gentleman from Indian Hairs.. Here's the summary.. According to him, ALL of their virgin hair is remy hair.. They don't put remy in the descriptions because in their minds it is understood that virgin hair = remy hair.. However, since the RK hair is not virgin hair they are careful to include the word remy in the description when it is remy hair and leave it out when it's not..

I know... Confusing as hell huh?? but in their minds, their descriptions are CRYSTAL clear and speak for themselves.. It took several e-mails for him to understand WHY & WHAT  I was asking for clarification on with regards to their products, and for me to understand why he didn't understand the REASON for my questions??

IMO, the feedback on RKs lighter colors indicates that they probably overprocess their colored hair.. I also wouln't attempt to color process hair that's already been color processed.. You may be better off getting the virgin hair and coloring it yourself.. (Tons of threads on this forum on best methods for lifting color from virgin hair)

Edited by Divavocals

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:49am
Originally posted by ccross6032 ccross6032 wrote:

hey amm -

this is thread hijacking i'm sure, but if you get a moment (haha) - are the RK #8 and #10 true to most color rings, or are the colors different than you expected?

much thanks

cheryl

Hi, C! I have RK's ring so I did get what I expected. They don't offer a #10 but I think their colors are in the general ballpark as the standard rings.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic