Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One last request...(pic)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Curly_Que View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curly_Que Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One last request...(pic)
    Posted: April 12 2006 at 10:30am
Okay, this is me now:

You can't really tell in the picture, but I've got a lot of gold in my hair. This is the dye I've bought:

Well, not that exact dye, I bought Ultress, not realizing that Clairol no longer makes the exact shade I bought. Live and learn, I guess. Anyway, the actual one I got was "Lightest Auburn."

I'm trying it out in a couple of hours... just let me know if I'm making a horrible, horrible mistake in the mean time. :)
DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 12:48pm

hi

Unless you have other products in your hair ie. bleach ect. I can not see any reason why this colour would not look lovely on you. Just be aware that if you do have any bleach or highlights, the colour could turn a little too red/orangie. Good Luck.

Be sure to post a pic when its done.

Campbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 1:23pm
Question: Does anyone know a reasonable cost for hair coloring? I live in the midwest. The stylist who I really like insists that I have to have an overall color ($75) then highlights (another $75). Any thoughts on reasonable price? I don't understand the need for overall color.

Edited by Campbell
DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 2:37pm

Hi campbell

I don't know exactly why but I can only imagine that maybe you've got a full head colour on your hair which has darker roots or maybe you have various colours in your hair from previous dyes and she is saying that you need an overall colour to give a solid colour base to start highlighting from. In any case, you don't need to have what you don't want just because your stylist says so, its your hair after all. I don't live in the USA so can't give you any advice on costs. Good Luck.

Curly_Que View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curly_Que Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 3:14pm
Campbell:

Most colourists' prices vary due to the length of your hair. So if your hair's really long, it'll definitely go into the $40 -$60 range. If it's short it'll probably be considerably less. The colourist I used to go to would add an extra $5 for every inch past the shoulders, with $30 as the base price for any length up to the shoulders (which, for northern Virginia, was a really great deal).

Otherwise, regarding the colouring she recommended, what she's probably talking about is first evening out your colour (with a solid) then giving it depth and structure with highlighting. If you have only a solid colour, then it does nothing for the style of your hair; it just kind of sits there. Highlights accentuate the style and add depth to the colour. On the other hand, if you do only highlights, they might "take" more in certain areas and less in others, resulting in a "splotchy" highlight job. Since highlights are harder to repair than a solid colour, most colourists will recommend a full colour wash before highlighting. But, like Dulcie said, it's your hair, you should feel free to take or leave her advice.

Hope that helps!
Campbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 3:23pm
Thanks all for the comments. My hair is shoulder length and basically the natural color with some ugly blonde highlights that are minimal.  I think this stylist is overpriced, so I'll try to find another. It is hard to find a good, reasonably priced stylist in Indianapolis.   
DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 4:13pm
Good Luck in your quest for a fair price.
Curly_Que View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curly_Que Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 9:41am
Well, I did it - and I now have... brown hair. With some reddish highlights. Oh well, it was worth a try.

I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks to give my hair some time to recover, then try a different shade. I'm wondering if, since Clairol no longer makes the product I used, perhaps I just got a bad batch - especially since it was streaky, despite a full saturation throughout my hair. Who knows.

Either way, thanks for the support :)
DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 6:58pm
Mmm difficult to say really, It could have been a bad batch I guess. Did you already have a colour or peroxide on your hair prior to using this?
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 9:50pm
Hi Curly_Que,

I've been told i's actually less damaging to your hair to do something right away - since your hair's cuticle hasn't completely closed yet - rather than waiting a few weeks and opening the cuticle again.

I don't think you got a bad batch - color kits sold in drug stores typically don't contain strong enough developers to open your cuticle far enough to get red colors in very well.  If you're set on the color on that box, I'd suggest going to a beauty supply store and selecting a red there, using a vol 30 developer.

Just my 2 cents.  :)

Karen
Curly_Que View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curly_Que Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 10:33pm
Karen - thanks for the advice. I just figured I'd wait till I need to do a root touch-up since I'll be dying it, anyway. I found a really great colour at Sally's that I'll be trying - it's a lot brighter, but still natural-looking, with a lot of copper colour. At this point I'm really just having fun with it and experimenting with the results. I might cut it after I colour it, back to the style that it is in that picture (it's down to my elbows now). So we'll see :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic