Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seaweed & Healthy Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seaweed & Healthy Hair
    Posted: April 13 2006 at 1:36pm

A little history first.

Back in 1986 I went on an extreme diet which actually triggered a bout with an eating disorder.  For one year I basically lived on Optifast (got the idea from Oprah), Diet Coke, coffee (this was before Starbucks) and lots and lots of salads.  I got very very thin.  Not quite Mary Kate or Lindsay Lohan thin, but for me it was tiny, tiny.

Meanwhile, my hair, which had grown to below my bra strap, fell out in handfuls and chunks.  I was trailing hair everywhere. It literally popped out of my scalp as I walked.

I went to the doctor that gave me the Optifast and he said....would you rather be thin or have lots of hair?  I said...have lots of hair.

At that time (it was pre-HairBoutique.com) I had nowhere to turn to stop my hair loss.  The doctor could care less because he wanted to sell lots of Optifast & Medifast.

I did go to a 12 step to recover from my eating disorder phase (which has been in solid remission since 1988) and did go to a nutritional expert to help with my hair problems.  He (a D.C with a nutrition degree) told me that I had to eat foods that would support my hair regrown and he recommended as the #1 food - seaweed.  I was appalled but willing to try anything at that point.

I spent days at the local health food stores looking at all the different seaweed and the sheets that are used for California rolls.  I finally bought some Nori sheets and starting eating them.  They didn't taste bad at all.  After awhile, I started to really enjoy them. 

Seaweed is very high in all the sea nutrients.  I was not surprised when Viviscal was introduced some years later and it had a lot of the same nutrients as the seaweed I was eating every day.  I started carrying Nori around in my handbag.  And yes, it made a big difference with my hair.  I use it as a snack to prevent reaching for no-no foods like Snickers (which I love but try not to eat).

I did several things to get the hair loss to stop including making my own secret hair oil formula (essentials hair growth oils) and of course working on my own version of hair vitamins which ultimately led to the creation of HairTopia.  But at the time I was focusing on eating better and stopping the hair loss.

In the early days the nutritionist had me eating, besides seaweed, the following foods every day:

1.  Avocado
2.  Cashew Butter
3.  Sprouts
4.  ONLY Ezckiel bread
5.  Bananas
6.  Lemons
7.  Beans
8.  Eggs

Yes....I did gain back some weight (not as much as I thought) but I also grew back my hair. 

To this day I eat avocados and munch on seaweed almost every day.  I don't really like Sushi but I love California rolls which are wrapped in Nori sheets, just like I have been eating for years. 

I do notice a difference in my hair when I stop eating seaweed for any extended period of time because I don't have time to get to the store or just forget to pack them in my bag for work.  Right now I have several packs in my desk.  :-)

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 12:37pm
Hey Karen, That's intertesting. Thanks for sharing your story.
Do you munch on a seaweed sheet or do you wrap the seaweed sheet
around something?

This might sound silly but how do you eat a seaweed sheet? They're so dry.
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 10:53pm

There's a seaweed called "fueru wakame" which means "increase wakame". It's a japanese food, and it's dried and kind of curly looking. When it's wet, it "increases", hence it's name.

I used to add it to already cooked ramen noodle soup (japanese style) and you can hardly taste it.

That would be an easy way to start adding seaweed to your diet. Or just take kelp pills.

I would love to eat avocado, but I can't stand guacamole, so I can't imagine I'd like plain avocado.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 1:19pm
Thanks for the information.
Bty,
I love avocados and I don't like guacamole. 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:31pm

Hi Malibu,

My apologies for the delay is getting back to you.  I have been traveling a lot.

I actually eat the sheets like long licorice whips.  I rip off pieces...usually long strips and just munch on them.  I like the taste although it took me time to get used to it.  I buy the Nori sheets at Whole Foods and they are my favorite. 

You can actually grind up the Nori and sprinkle the pieces on salad but I eat them as a snack.  In fact, when I travel, I take a package and if I get hungry they make a great good-for-you easy to eat snack. 

OK.  Some people look at me a little crazy but not for long. 

It really works for me.  I can sometimes feel my scalp tingling after I eat a lot. 

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:32pm

Originally posted by malibu malibu wrote:

Thanks for the information.
Bty,
I love avocados and I don't like guacamole. 

I hear you about the avocados. One of my favorite sandwiches is turkey with avocado and sprouts.  Yummy and great for you.  Very healthy.

malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:56pm
Yum! That sounds very good!

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 4:07am

*goes off to her room to get some. . . slightly stale, but still edible. . . nori snacks*

More awesome than a manatee!
Isis833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isis833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 6:02pm
Thanks for sharing your story.  I posted just yesterday (on another hair board) the kinds of sea vegetables I enjoy eating, almost daily.  Nori is very delicious and I enjoy Hijiki in my salad, on eggs and many other dishes.  I also enjoy eating Wakambe and Kombu (in soups).  Smile

Have you ever added seaweed, such as kelp, to your hair products?
Thick, kinky, coarse, slightly relaxed (texlaxed) 4b
No heat since 07/03
Length - below BSL http://public.fotki.com/Isis33/
pw in profile
Wash & deep condition 2x each week. Vegetarian diet.
summer*22* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 1:26pm

Where can you get nori sheets or nori snacks?  Do you think they would sell them at a regular superstore like walmart?  I have been eating a really balanced diet and I am trying to add things in that would make my hair healthier as well.  I saw a recipie for california sushi rolls that I really want to try; Im just not sure if I can find the sushi rice or nori sheets.

~Summer~

SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 8:29am

Are ther specific kinds of seaweed or is it a general term. Also how much do you eat a day because Miri is trying to be nice to her hair after torturing it for a while.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 2:26pm
Nori is just the dried sushi seaweed that you can find at Asian supermarkets. Walmart probably doesn't carry it, although places like Safeway and Albertsons may carry it if they have a special Asian section.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Wendyixv11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendyixv11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2013 at 2:39am
rolex replica, des employeurs. It is not advised to reintroduce major triggers such as meats,is also used today_2, dairy products, or eggs into your diet. For around $12,000, you can get a secondhand Audemars Piguet Royal Oak chronograph. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child,is also used today_2, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional. Just make sure everything you have on is clean and you are . Report Abuse. The mixture
super replica breitling emergency,2 a very short story Despite the plot that has you scratching your head and go 'how the heck did they come up with such ridiculous plot???' Fired Up is an enjoyable comedy that you can consume by yourself or with friends at Watch Fired Up Online,2 A Very Short Story_1, and you can find the link down below in the resource box.. More importantly,2 A Very Short Story_1, this plan prevents you from having to pay "nonproductive dispatch" charges if the technician finds that the
super replica breitling emergency, Mont Blanc Pens are called as the most exclusive, stylish and long lasting pens in the industry.. And yet we speak of it all the time,An in Depth Tesoro Metal Detector Review_4, consider it essential to life and happiness.. The model, meanwhile,An in Depth Tesoro Metal Detector Review_4, sidestepped the obvious film question, saying, "I love what I'm doing now, but never say never!". The Straw Hats must capture one of these birds before dawn while grappling with the ominous potentiality of crashing downward into
hublot replica watches, scientists came up with something called ether, a sort of substructure to the universe. Per mettere "la pulce nell a giovani menti fresche che, forse, troveranno idee innovative e modelleranno il futuro.. No engorda el Omega-3. Institutions of higher education include not only colleges and universities but also professional schools in such fields as law,is said to be practicing his zingers_2, theology,is said to be practicing his zingers_2, medicine, business, music, and art. If you have any concerns about your
http://www.dibaq.com/fakewatches.html

unfinished

with Jean-Claude Van Damme

amandagreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amandagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 6:17am
Very nice story - I really like the idea of eating the seaweed sheets and using them as a snack. Definitely going to try this one :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic