Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are you Happier with short hair VS. Long?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you Happier with short hair VS. Long?
    Posted: April 18 2006 at 6:19am

Hi to all!

I was wondering, do you feel as happy, or even happier with your short hair as with long hair?

I know the luxury of long cascading long hair. However, I love the ease and Ironically the elegance of short hair. Shows off my neck, highlights my high cheeckbones, eyes, and smile too!;)

Plus, it takes very little time to wash, air dry, and style.

My hair looks and feels healthier, soft shiny too!

Thanks,...

Katie;)

God Bless,...
Katie
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 6:41am

Katay

I have seen more smiles on ladies with short hair than those with long hair.Those who had long hair cut short seem to have more self esteem. I also agree with you as to showing off your features must make you feel great. I must say that some who get short cuts should not have gotten them but they do love the cut.It's all about the inner you.I feel so happy when someone loves the way I can make them look just by getting their haircut. Not all cuts are short but just the look you can acheeive by adding bangs or a bit layering in the back. Don't get me wrong I cut a lot of one lenght styles, but the next day when I see the hair pulled up in a ponytail I just want to ask why. They have such beautifull hair that does lay so nice and they pull it up off their neck and away from the face. I know it's easy and sometime they don't have time to do the hair so maybe they should cut. Maybe we should start an anti ponytail campain

katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 7:12am

Hi Mike!

I totally agree! ANTI PONYTAIL CAMPAIGN!!! ALL THE WAY!!!!;)

I have a sister in law who has medium short hair, but sometimes she puts it in a ponytail. Oh no, I'm thinking , not that! LOL, seriously, I cringe at Ponytails. I don't like ponytails so much that that's why I cut my hair short in the first place.

I realized I'd look and feel better instead of all the hair pulled back, ouch! You know what I mean, literally, and figurativley.

So anyone else feel ponytails should be banned?

Any other comments on short VS. Long hair?

Thanks,...

Katie;)

God Bless,...
Katie
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 11:33am
I think I like short hair. My hair has already gotten longer and I miss it being very short. At the same time, I really want to grow it long! So hard to chose.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 1:56pm

Hi Rosalie,

I do know the feeling of Loving short and long hair.

It's not easy to decide. The media, and friends and family give us so many messages.

Most people like me no matter what length my hair may be. However some are partial to my former longer hair. But I've gotten lots of compliments on my Short hair now.;)

I really enjoy all styles on myself, and others too.

However I think people should put their hair up in an updo of some sort or wear hat/s. I dislike ponytails,..very hum drum to me.

Thanks,..

Katie;)

God Bless,...
Katie
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:23pm
I've never had really long hair but sometimes I miss my shoulderlength bob.  I have short spikey hair now and it is very easy.  I am all about easy so I guess right now I am happier short.  The thought of growing out all these tiny layers is enough to keep me in the salon maintaining my short crop.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 1:23pm

Hi,

demodoll, that's cool. I say life's too hard as it is, why complicate it with too long of hair,right?

I love HairBoutique.com so much.  It is the BEST site on the web, bar none for hair information and the people here are awesome.  I am grateful to be here.  Everyone here does such a great job from Dave Decker to Karen and all the folks here.  I really appreciate that so much.  And this is a great topic thread.  So I will continue to share my love of short hair here.

Edited by katay
God Bless,...
Katie
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 1:34pm

I have been on this board forever (since 2000 anyway) and it really is one of the nicer ones around I think.  I find that Karen runs a pretty tight ship and truly nasty people aren't allowed to hang out.  It takes all sorts of people to make it interesting and the differences of opinion add spice.

We do live in a hair obsessed culture for sure.  It is interesting to see how people handle it.  My obsession comes from having difficult hair.  I hang out here for advise on how to handle it as well as to see what people are thinking about and what the trends are.  I am older (at least for here) but I am still very interested in being fashionable.

Don't leave.  Just hang out awhile.

"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 1:56pm

Hi Demodoll,

You are right.  Everyone here is great.  I am going to stay and continue to contribute.  I also noticed that there is this great new Short Hair page on HairBoutique.com http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/shorthair.htm

and Karen seems to be writing tons of new short hair articles.  Kudos to her for that. 

God Bless,...
Katie
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 3:11am
Hi

Well to go against popular opinion here, I prefer long hair on me. I have had short hair in the past, but now I'm just letting it grow and grow. I'm more confident with longer hair, I feel "exposed" with shorter hair.

Well you did ask!

Edited by redhairedgirl
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 11:27pm

Redhairedgirl,

just do me one favor Keep it out of ponytails. All thta work us stylist do and everybody just pulls it back and up. At least do a french braid for me. Long hair is fine just leave it down and show it off.

Mike

redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 2:53am
Hi Mike

I don't do ponytails . When I'm working I use a headband (alice band) to keep my hair out of the way, the rest of the time I keep it down and let it go it's own way.
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 7:54am

Originally posted by redhairedgirl redhairedgirl wrote:

Hi

Well to go against popular opinion here, I prefer long hair on me. I have had short hair in the past, but now I'm just letting it grow and grow. I'm more confident with longer hair, I feel "exposed" with shorter hair.

Well you did ask!

Hi,

Yes I did ask. Smile Thank you for your comments.  Everyone has their own comfort zone with their hair and I appreciate that.  And if I had hair as beautiful as yours I would wear it down too.  But no ponytails for me.  Tongue

Edited by katay
God Bless,...
Katie
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 4:53am

Long hair makes me feel mousy. . . and lazy, since the only time I've had it long in my adult life was when I got too depressed and lazy to keep up with cuts. . . for a couple of years or so -_- . . .  I was totally horrified when I finally "woke up" to what was happening, and was angry with myself for letting it go that long!  Now I feel disgusted with myself if I let it go more than like 3-4 weeks, 'cause I feel so lazy about that.  Definitely I feel more attractive and in control (something I lacked my entire childhood, unfortunately :-( ) with it short.

More awesome than a manatee!
palikane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palikane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:57pm
I cut my hair about six to eight months ago to a shorter length, (with trims in between of course) and I must say, I am beginning to miss my long hair. I feel that you can do a lot more with long hair and if you have gorgeous hair, the length enhances its beauty (if you take care of it) I am trying to grow my hair our (right now its only shoulder lengith if a little longer) and  it is a hassle! The only way I know how to grow it is to comb your hair upside down and stimulate the hair follicles.
Just another opinion....

SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 6:20am
To me most women who are beautiful and feminine look better in short hairstyles. You can see their features better, and they often look more feminine and pretty with short hairstyles, especially if they are good with their makeup, earrings, feminine skirts and dresses, etc.

Edited by SanFranBrent - May 27 2006 at 6:20am
Brent
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:03am
I have had hair that extends below my waist since the late 1980s.  I love my long hair. 

However, with that said, I have also been an editor for Multi Media Short Cuts (on newstands every month) for five years now.  Every month I write several articles about short hair and literally look at thousands of short cuts every year.

I don't think that I would look good in short hair BUT I have to say that with the right face shape, body type and good hair texture, short hair can be absolutely breathtaking.

I was recently on a flight from New York to Dallas and one of the flight attendants was a 30ish butter blonde with the best wedge style cut that I have ever seen.  It really opened up her face and the cut was precision perfect.

Needless to say, although I am a long hair expert I also have spent a lot of time with short hair and it  has many advantages....for the right person.  I also believe that everyone should select the length and style that makes them feel beautiful and that there is no right or wrong length.

Please have a happy and safe Holidays.

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

I also believe that everyone should select the length and style that makes them feel beautiful and that there is no right or wrong length.

I agree! Why do stylists talk about age-appropriate hair or say that long hair over a certain age drags down a woman?  My hair isn't anywhere near your length (you'd probably call it medium) but people are always telling me that I should cut it short because I'm over 40.  It's frustrating because part of me wants to look good like they say I will but part of me doesn't want to cave into pressure.  Maybe this is another topic, but has anyone ever told you to cut your hair?  If so, how do you reply?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 7:44pm
Hi,

Yes people have told me to "cut my hair" over the years, but luckily not lately (not in the last 2 years).  I would change my answer depending on the situation and whether it seemed appropriate to be funny or serious or even sarcastic.  It also depended on my mood at the time.

While I used to take offense many years ago that people could be so bold, so rude and so meddlesome, I learned to blow it off and figured that either people didn't have anything else to say and needed a conversation starter or they were just being inappropriate.

I told one person that my hair is "my signature from HB.com" like Colonel Sander's white suit for Kentucky Fried Chicken.  I told another person that I needed my long hair because I live in a high tower and I need to throw it down to people who want to visit.  :-)  I also tell people that the older you get, the harder it is to grow back hair and since I am moving into the rocking chair era (only kidding) I need my hair to stay long so I can train it for little granny buns.  :-)

Recently I was out in Hollywood for several days hanging out with my friend - celeb hairdresser Ken Paves.  I had the great fortune to meet the CEO of a famous add-on hair company and when he met me he said "WOW you have really great hair".  That made me feel good because this man sells add-on hair for a living.  :-)

Also, Ken made a point of talking about how much he loved my long hair and how great it looked on me.

Another point to consider is that there are so many celebrities over 40 who either wear hair extensions (Sharon Stone) or wear their hair naturally long (Demi Moore) that there is definitely a shift away from that old attitude that hair has to be age appropriate.

Hope that helps.

Feel free to use any of my snappy comebacks.  They are definitely conversation changers.  :-)

Edited by Karen Shelton - May 29 2006 at 7:45pm
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic