Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1/2 roots, 1/2 blonde tips HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mystic37601 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystic37601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1/2 roots, 1/2 blonde tips HELP!
    Posted: April 20 2006 at 7:15pm
I'm trying to let my hair grow out, so it will be healthy. I'm becoming impatient. My hair is about 1/2 way down my back now. 1/2 of it is my grown out, medium brown roots, and the other 1/2 is the dyed blonde. I'm wanting to to know if I can buy a hairdye, around my natural color & go ahead & get it all one shade now (because I want to put blonde highlights all through it). How could I go about dying it so that my natural hair won't absorb too much of the dye (since it's healthy) & the dyed blonde part won't not absorb enough? I'd like to get it all an equal color. After that is accommlished, how long should I wait before putting blonde highlights in it? (I would like to do this all @ home, can't afford to go to a salon....so any suggestion on best product would help too)
Thanx! Mystic37601
meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 3:59pm

Well, if it was me, I would use a neutral protein filler all over, and then use demi-permanent brown color that is a similar shade of brown (possibly lighter or darker than your natural color, depending on the porosity of your hair, how light blonde your hair is, and dark of a brown you want to use). I would put the demi-permanent only on te blonde part.  Your best bet is to do a strand test with this process and see how your hair holds the color.

As far as highlights, I'm not too sure the best way for you to do it, but I guess that depends upon your skill level. Maybe pull out the pieces you want to highlight, bleach that upper part of your hair (the natural part) until it reaches a blonde similar to your grown out hair, and then tie them up on top of your head. Then apply the demi permanent brown that you chose (after strand testing colors previosuly) and apply the filler and color to the blonde part of your hair. That's probably how I'd do it, but I don't know if that's the best way. Hope that helps!

Edited by meli
KarenNJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenNJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 7:59pm
Hi Mystic,

I have a few suggestions...

1) Use a porosity treatment to prevent the blonde from absorbing too much dye and looking "muddy" and uneven from the rest of your hair.

2)  Get your products from a beauty supply store like Sally's, rather than a drug store.  Use the hair swatches to try to select a color as close to your natural color as possible.  Take a friend or enlist the help of someone working there to match (since you probably won't be able to see your hair side-by-side with the swatch).  If you can't match exactly, it's better to pick the closest color that's lighter, rather than darker.

3) Yes- as Meli said, DEFINITELY do a strand test.  If the blond is very light and doesn't have enough red pigment still in it, coloring over it may make your hair green or violet.  It's better to find out on a strand than on your whole head!

4) If the strand test gives you green or violet, you'll need to go back and get a natural red color (same color level) as a filler.  (Put the filler color on the blonde, then the color/developer mixture.)  Again... strand test before doing your entire head.

5)  Once you are happy with your strand test results, put the color on your roots first, then pull it through the blonde hair for the last 10-15 minutes (it will soak up color faster, even using a porosity treatment).  So check it often to make sure you don't leave it on too long.  If you end up washing it out too soon, that's ok - it's much easier to put color on again for a few more minutes than to take it out if you leave it on for too long.

6) You can highlight right away.  I'd recommend using a product like Clairol Instant Whip (bottle of instant whip + packets of activators + developer) and like Meli said, select which strands to highlight.

Good luck!

Karen

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic