Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acrylic Nails..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red legos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red legos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acrylic Nails..
    Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:44pm

I was just wondering if getting acrylic nails hurts your real nails or damages them any? I'd like to wear them all the time ..and I used to wear them alot, but just didn't have the money to keep getting them refilled and such. Thanks.

naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:56pm
Let me set the record straight.  ACRYLIC NAILS (or any other type) DO NOT RUIN OR HARM YOUR NATURAL NAILS!!!!!  Know what does?  The technician.  If there is damage to your nails after you remove them the reason is:
1.  The tech trashed your nails when applying them (Such as : used a drill on the natural nail - a big no no)
2.  The tech was not trailned very well in filing (either by hand or with an electric file -aka drill) and held the file at a wrong angle which can cut into the nail.
3.  You  - or your tech - ripped or pryed off the nails to remove them.

Thats it.  The product - acrylic, gel, fiberglass, silk, whatever - has *no* impact on the nails.  If there is damage, it is human error!
angl96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angl96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:20am

I use to have nails back in 2000 and when ever I take them off I always see an dent in my nail. The white tips were paper thin also. The only thing that hurts is when they put to much nail primer it freakn burns. Not sure if they use nail primer anymore  like I said it has been about 6 years since I had them on.

Also someone may cut your cuticle from  the drill Yes that hurts also!!

naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 3:21pm

The dent in your nail was caused my the tech using the file (or drill) at an angle.  The thinness was caused by overfiling.

Yes, primer is still used, but it should NEVER EVER touch skin!  It is an acid and can burn you.

angl96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angl96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 10:05am

The primer I noticed if they stick the little brush in and lightly touches the nail the acid spreads and it if there is to much on the brush although they never touched my skin purposely but it still spreads outward and on the sides of my nail bed.That's why it burns.

I use to wear them for about 4 years every 2 weeks get a fill. When I would go to the vietamese The tech never remembers me asks the same question Do I work hardly speaks english.Gets me in and outta there.Although they did a good job on my nails always went back!!

Been to a couple of american white  techs of course they are more expensive way more expensive, back in Orgeon she only used files and had my name in a baggy and used only my personal files no drills. I thoght that was nice and She was really good.But I also know if the price is way high they are useing the legal acrylic powder.Not the dental one that is cheap by the tub.

With that being said I did go to a lot Vietamese shops and I had no side effects. 4 years is a long time to have arylics but who knows maybe the illeagal aryclic is bad for you can't say if it is or not but like I said before I never had no side effects.

naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 9:32pm
I doubt anyone would deliberately touch skin with primer - but if it is flooding the nail and getting on the skin, there is too much primer!  LOL

As for illegal acrylic(MMA) - well of course there are reasons it is illegal.  #1 the FDA says dont use it on nails.  It adheres too rigidly and if you break a nail it tends to rip off your natural nail with it.  It also has a high incidence of allergic reactions.  #2  Liver and kidney problems, nerve damage, miscarriages and lung problems are just some of the things possibly associated with the long term use of MMA.  #3 MMA stinks, it yellows and it is too freakin hard to file!!  It sticks so hard to the nail the only way to get it off is to either drill or rip it off the natural nail!  OUCH

Im glad you had no issues with it.  The thing is that there are enough people who DO have issues with it that it IS illegal in 38 states!!!  Why would you want something like that on your nails?
angl96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angl96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 10:16am

Yeah I know what you mean.But I think the fda should do something if it is this harmful to us. I like how they have the ordorless bottle out and man when they used the arylic I can smell it a mile away YIKES!!Of course I know they aren't using the product DUH

I like my real nails now. My nails are very pink and shiney. Really I just hated going in every 2 weeks, same goes with the salon on my highlights but although  I haven't gave up on my hair highlights probably never will!! 

naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 11:12am
Unfortunately the FDA can only make recommendations, they cant make laws.  And since the cometology industry is regulated by individual states, it is up to each state to make the laws! - 38 of them have.  I'm glad your natural nails are nice - some of us arent so lucky!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic