Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap meals from scratch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap meals from scratch
    Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:19am

A lot of us are spending too much money on groceries. What are some meals you make that are easy and cheap in the long run?

• Pasta and marinara sauce
  • Pasta shells with mayonnaise, dijon mustard, dried dill and canned tunafish
  • Scalloped potatoes with white gravy (dehydrated), cheddar cheese, and pre-cooked chicken breast (make chicken and freeze it)
  • rice, chicken and curry
  • bean and ground beef burritos
my LJ, 40 inches long
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 8:11am

I eat tuna or mackerel with ground black pepper and any combination of olives, cucumber, French beans, calabrese or petit pois pretty much every time I decide to have a 'proper meal'.  It's not too expensive, although I do insist on yellowfin tuna in springwater, which isn't available in those 4 tins for £2.50 (or whatever) bulk offers over here. 

Tonight for my boyfriend I am making a kind of rosti (sorry no umlaut?) thing with leftovers...some cold new potatoes that we made for a dinner party last night, some red onion (not needed for last night's salad) and a piece of bacon just chopped, covered with grated cheese and baked in the oven.  With that he will share some broccoli with me that's about to go off!  Cheap as chips!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:34pm
Peanut butter and strawberry jam on whole wheat, with a banana.  (Optionally, slice the banana and place the slices on inside of the sandwich.)  Okay, it's not a meal, but is a satisfying snack, and it's inexpensive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 6:13pm

Peanut butter and banana - that is an awesome treat.

Some of my older friends used to live in the South and they'd tell me "Peanut butter does NOT go with jam! It goes with honey". And it really goes well, too.... wow.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 1:04pm

a can of cream of potatoe soup ( if you have it)   add canned or frozen veggies If you have left over chicken, debone and add to soup, ...cook for about 30 minutes  and add biscuits on top of it. If you have left over chicken, debone and add to soup( Now you have made chickenless/chicken potpie)

Ramen noodles ( drained) with various veggies ( cooked and raw) add cheese.

soup and grilled cheese sandwhiches.

Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwhich with chips or baked french fries

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 5:08pm

This is kind of silly, but last week I counted all the times I spent $1.25 on a bagel and cream cheese for lunch at work... and I could have saved a bunch of money on car insurance JUST KIDDING if I had bought a loaf of French bread ($1.19) and a chunk of cheese ($2.50).

my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Peanut butter and strawberry jam on whole wheat, with a banana.  (Optionally, slice the banana and place the slices on inside of the sandwich.)  Okay, it's not a meal, but is a satisfying snack, and it's inexpensive.

Thought of some more ideas, to include with the above, for an inexpensive meal (breakfast, could do for lunch).

To the above delicious sandwich, add 1/2/3 chicken eggs (quantity depending on your level of hunger, and prepared your favorite way), and an individual container of yogurt (store brand is inexpensive and provides a lot of calories - non-fat, low-fat or "full"-fat, depending on your preference, too).

Yum.  Bon appetit. Wink 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 1:45am

These days I've come up with a meat-free lunch:

6-8 ounces of vanilla and plain yogurt, sprinkled with walnuts
french bread with cheddar cheese, Spanish olives
1 pear, sliced
my LJ, 40 inches long
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 8:13pm

Tonight I'm having veggie ravioli with aparagus and salad. The raviolis are made locally, so the meal will be quick to make (less than 15 min), and relatively inexpensive (2 servings for $3.50).

Other quick inexpensive meals:

roast a chicken (not quick, but the leftovers areBig smile)
ramen noodles with veggies
Ryvita crackers topped with just about anything (hardboiled eggs, chicken, peanut butter, honey, jam)
salads
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:58am

Today for lunch I am having cucumber sticks and a few dried apricots, delicious!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 11:44pm
I've been making a lot of homemade smoothies lately.  I slice some fruit and freeze it for a few hours or overnight.  Then I throw it in the blender with a cup of yogurt (a kind that matches or complements the fruit I'm using) and a couple of ounces of milk just so my blender won't freak when I ask it to liquefy frozen fruit (if your blender is less wimpy, you might not need the milk, though).  I blend it at high speed, stopping to push down or rearrange the stuff if necessary, until it becomes a smoothie ^_^ .
More awesome than a manatee!
ChloeDharma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChloeDharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 10:25am
One of my favourite cheap meals is a can of mixed beans (soya, kidney, black eye etc) chop an onion and some garlic, fry them off a bit, then add a small tin of chopped tomatoes, lots of herbs and spices, mine ends up something in between a curry and a chilli, cook it all together, and serve with brown rice. Oh i also sometimes add some spinach.

My other favourite is 1 red and 1 green bell pepper, onion, garlic, tin of petit pois, some mushrooms, chopped carrots, and lots of spices, like turmeric, cayenne, cumin, black pepper, garam masala, soy sauce, vege stock cube, basil, basically whatever you fancy.

After frying off the onion and garlic in extra virgin olive oil, i shove everything into the saucepan, reduce heat and cover. I normally let it cook for about an hour, and in the meantime cook the brown rice. Just before serving i often stir in some coconut cream to the veg mix and maybe add a sachet of creamed coconut. Gorgious.
The Heart Would Have No Rainbow, Had The Eyes No Tears

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 12:01pm
Ohhh I have just discovered the joy of HUMMUS!

Ok, ok, I've tried hummus once in Los Angeles (the week of the film festival) at Falafel King, but it just wasn't the same.

Here's the sandwich
Wheat bread
HUMMUS
avocado
chicken sausage
cheese
and you can add vegetables such as romaine lettuce, black olives, and tomato.

So yesterday I went and bought a big thing of hummus with roasted garlic....
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 12:24am
A note about hummus, it does NOT go well with cucumber if you put them both in a sandwich. Maybe it's cucumbers in general.... the sandwich begins to fuse, mush, and leak.

but they're great when separate!

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 12:58pm

oatmeal:bkfst

instant oats, raisons, dash of cin.

tuna wrap: lunch
whole wheat tortilla, tuna, and cheese

snack:
celery/carrot/apple and peanutbutter

Vegetarian Pastry  ($6 ) Dinner

Chillies, garlic, fetta cheese, black olives, spinach, spanish onions, Filo/Puff pastry Chop & mix Chilllies With a hint of garlic Add fetta cheese, black olives, spinach , spanish onions Layer filo pastry & add above mixture Bake in oven @ 180° for 10-15 minutes Remember to add salt & pepper

this was my meal plan for the day cheap and yummy!

Edited by babycheeks24 - October 22 2006 at 1:01pm
Babycheeks
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 2:44am

Quesadillas are simple and cheap enough.  Just oil or otherwise nonstick your skillet, get a tortilla slightly browned on both sides, throw in a bit of shredded cheese. . . maybe add some peppers, mushrooms, leftover chicken, or whatever you have on hand. . . fold it over like an omelette, and it's lunch.  I just randomly made one from the other night's leftovers, myself.

More awesome than a manatee!
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 3:20pm
toinght my cheap meal will be green bean casserole everyone knows that one so  i wont explain how to make it but that is a cheap meal and if you add some chicken to it even better.:)
Babycheeks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic