Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Supplements - biotin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supplements - biotin
    Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:27pm
For the past few years I've been regularly tweaking my supplementation regimen and made a "startling" discovery recently.

For the past 4 months, I've upped my intake of protein, since I've been exercising more vigorously.  But a month or two ago, when I upped my supplemental biotin intake from 1030 mcg (combined) to 10,430 mcg (combined), I noticed that my hair fallout rate was roughly halved!  This was a huge discovery for me, since within the past year my hair has reached a statis (not getting any longer - new growth only kept up with fallout).  Now I have hopes of getting thicker hair -- or at least, another leg up in my fight against (future?) male-pattern baldness.  Yay! 

(Cross-posted to the Long Hair Support Forum)
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 8:10pm
Wow, 10.5 mg a day ... I wonder how much our body can actually metabolize.  I take 4.5 mg daily, but I knew of people having problems with as little as 3 mg.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 1:46pm
Hi Supersugar,

Problems, really?  What kind of problems?

It's my understanding that biotin is water-soluble, and anything your body doesn't use will be flushed out.

Biotin helps your body to metabolize protein, and since hair is protein-based, it simply makes sense that biotin would improve the hair.

Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 8:22am
I heard a few people on the AA hair board mention breaking out from higher doses of biotin, reducing their intake and reporting clearer skin.  So, maybe ...

But you're right, I wouldn't expect a water-soluble vitamin to cause too many side effects.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Isis833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isis833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 2:56pm
One has to drink lots of water (which we need to do anyway) while taking biotin.  I took biotin a couple of years ago and stopped within a few days because of breakouts on my face.  I was drinking lots of water then but I learned later I need to drink even more!  The breakouts, from what I read on posts, are temporary and most of the ladies are enjoying great hair results from the biotin.
Thick, kinky, coarse, slightly relaxed (texlaxed) 4b
No heat since 07/03
Length - below BSL http://public.fotki.com/Isis33/
pw in profile
Wash & deep condition 2x each week. Vegetarian diet.
passion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:00pm
hello:
can you tell me what is good to make the hair grow>i have problem with my hair is almos 2 years since i cut it short and never again has grown.
millie
passion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:02pm

hello
millie
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 5:49pm
Well Passion, first thing you need to grow your hair is patience. I've noticed when I don't stress over how much my hair has grown is when I do see a difference in length

Check out the Long Hair Support board. It has a lot of useful information. You have to remember, not everyones hair is the same. It takes a lot of trial and error. There is no special anything to help your hair grow fast
Vitamins (I think) work well for me. I feel better and I have more energy. Up your protein intake

I also think of it this way, I treat my hair like I treat my skin. I take care of my skin because I want it to look good. I don't rest my face in my hands because I don't want acne. I wash my face as needed to make it look good and to feel good
Think of your hair the same way. Use a good shampoo and conditioner and a detangler. It will help you hair look it's best
Spruce your hair up a bit with headbands and barrettes. Make yourself feel good about how your hair looks

Good luck
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 4:28pm
Hi Passion, I read somewhere else that viviscal woman really works and really makes hair grow. It was on one of these threads somewhere but I don't remember which one. I don't know where to get it, but you can google it. You should also check with your dermatologist or doctor since it is not normal for your hair not grow in two years. Maybe there is a medical problem you are not aware of.

Good luck
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 2:18am

I have never heard of biotin causing people to break out. I used it years ago and never so much as had one pimple. I stopped and then I got the pimples!!!

I'am using it again now becaue my hair is shorter and I want it to grow. I occasionally get a break out,but I think it is mostly hormonal and has nothing to do with the biotin.

Sherryl1` WHAT IS VIVISCAL WOMAN?

Edited by julesyjul88 - February 10 2007 at 2:20am
HaleyCake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaleyCake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 10:43am
All I can say is that biotin has definitely been working for me! When I went off to college two years ago, I began having major breakout problems (hormonal problems, stress, etc.).  This was huge because I had always had very clear skin. I tried everything- all kinds of benzoyl peroxide treatments, salicylic acid, Proactiv- you name it I tried it.  It has only been since I discovered this board and started supplementing my diet with biotin, Omega-3, and MSM (along with a daily multivitamin) that my acne has gone away. In fact, my skin is the clearest it has been in well over two years. YAY! I really think if some people experience breakouts after starting to take biotin, it may have more to do with coincidence than the actual bitoin. I have always been an avid water-drinker, and I have been drinking lots of while taking the biotin, but that is something I have always done. If you think that the biotin really is causing your breakouts, and extra glass or two of water a day might just do the trick.
I guess the point of me saying any of this is to encourage those of you who are thinking about taking supplements. Give them a month or two, and you will be AMAZED at the difference they can make in not only your hair (which they DO make a difference!), but also in your nails, skin, and general sense of well-being. Lots of Luck! :)
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2007 at 6:23pm
yes, biotin does cause breakouts..it's temporary..but it has been known to cause acne...at first..

i know of a few women, including myself who supplement their diet - due to extremely heavy workouts and drinking the normal 3 liters of water a day - 10 mg. of biotin..with no problem - the key?  drink lots of water..

Just like Haley (and she's gorgeous by the way), my skin is the clearest it's ever been..drinking the water (for a water soluble vitamin is the key)

some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 4:09am
Wow,I was taking at least 100 mgs a day (super biotin) is that too much?
geminikitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geminikitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 8:28pm
yah, biotin is really good for hair and really good for you if you're diabetic 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic