Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Product Suggestions for Fine, Wavy Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
henchperson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Product Suggestions for Fine, Wavy Hair
    Posted: May 21 2006 at 7:32pm
Hi, folks.  This is my first post here, because I've only now realized that I need to branch out of the "curly" forums, since I don't have curly hair.  It's wavy.  Despite scrunching, produts, diffusers, and much effort, it's just wavy, and I might as well live with it rather than ruin it.
After five years of 2" long wash-and-wear hair, I'm growing my hair out.  Eventually, I'd like waist-length hair, which may not be practical.  I just like the look.  Currently, with hair down to my earlobes, I'll be thrilled once it's long enough for a ponytail.

Recently, I discovered that trying to treat my fine, wavy hair like curly hair leaves it straight as a stick.  I tried the conditioner-only method of washing and it worked for about a week, and then everything went flat.  Shiny and soft, but flat.  Overconditioned - because my hair is wavy, not curly, and my hair is "normal," not dry. 
Instead of thick hair, which I'd always assumed I had from the sheer volume of hair, what I've actually got is lots and lots and lots of fine hair.  My new curly/kinky-haired stylist not only told me this, but got out a microscope and showed it to me!  She also showed me where the conditioner was building up, despite ACV rinses and attempts to clarify it.  She told me that CO washing was not going to work for me.  I tried it for a few weeks longer, then realized she was right.
Since my hair is 7" from crown to tip, I've figured that this is the time to screw up and make mistakes and try products to see what works and what doesn't work.  Unfortunately, I'm finding more things that don't work on my hair than things that do.  I'm really kind of discouraged.
I've ordered a bunch of sample-sized things from the "Morocco Method" hair care line, after having some other fine-haired folks recommend it to me as being very light.  Then again, I was told that the Suave Naturals line was also "very light" and it turns out that the "Suave Naturals" line is one of the heaviest conditioners you can get in a drugstore.  I'm going to give the "Deva" line a try (mostly because I was able to get it very cheaply) and see if the "no-poo" product works on me.  I have my doubts. 
So does anyone else have fine, wavy hair and products that they love?  Most of the recommendations I've been getting have been either too heavy for my hair or aimed at trying to make it more curly.  Which my stylist told me would take a lot of chemicals and effort - so I'm a happy wavy.  I'd just like to find some products that will let me be a happy wavy.
5smiths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5smiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 4:24pm
I have fine - wavy to curly hair and I've had pretty good luck with Aveda Phomollient.  It gives the waves a nice light hold, even tightens the curls some. And a little bit goes a long way, so don't let the sticker price scare you off.  I have shoulder blade length hair and can easily get 6 months out of the average size bottle.  I've tried MANY other products - but didn't have success with them.  They either weighed my hair down or made it crunchy.  Good luck!
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 8:48pm

Hi Henchperson (cool name!). So, I rarely check this board - the one I usually post on and read is the Long Hair Forum. I have fine and wavy hair, and I am in the process of growing it to my waist as well. Check out the Long Hair Forum where you are sure to find many great tips and lots of support!

As for products, I've found that the fewer products on my hair the better. Unlike you, though, conditioner-only washing works well for me most of the time. The shampoos and conditioners that work well with my hair type are almost anything by Aveda, the Lush Veganese conditioner, and Redken products. Hope that helps!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic