Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nail Growth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pinky21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinky21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nail Growth
    Posted: May 22 2006 at 1:44pm
I am trying to grow my nails out so that they look long and I don't have to get false nails or tip overlays on them. I currently take a Vitamin E pill and Beta Carotene vitamin everyday.I want to know what can I do to make them grow faster, longer and harder that will work more than what I do now?
Pinky21
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 11:36am
Sorry to say there is not much you can do.  Gelatin, vitamins, calcium - all old wives tales.  Without getting into nail anatomy and boring you, just know that none of these substances do anything to speed nail growth.  There is some very limited evidence that certain b vitamins (biotin) *may* help grow nails faster. 

Unfortunately the hardness and thickness of your nails is genetic.  It has to do with your nail matrix's length, and that cannot be changed.

What I tell my natural nail clients : weekly manicures (at home or in the salon), nail strengthener and a good cuticle oil (should not contain mineral oil).  Strengthener "hardens" by dehydtaring so you need the oil to keep them from getting brittle.  Strengthener and oil need to be used daily.  You will also discover that at a certain length (which is different for everyone) your nails will break.  Most people cannot grow long nails.  The point at which your nails tend to break is your maximum.

Remember: dont use your nails as tools, weekly manicures, daily strengthener, several times a day use oil.  Keep a nail file on hand for snags.  And remember that natural nails are waaaayyyy more work than artificial and take committment.
pinky21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinky21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 12:16pm
Thanks for the insight! I do get manicures done everyweek and I try to keep my nails looking as healthy as possible. I hope that will help.
Pinky21
mrscutiepie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrscutiepie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 11:15am
Originally posted by pinky21 pinky21 wrote:

I am trying to grow my nails out so that they look long and I don't have to get false nails or tip overlays on them. I currently take a Vitamin E pill and Beta Carotene vitamin everyday.I want to know what can I do to make them grow faster, longer and harder that will work more than what I do now?

What I am currently doing is keeping my cuticles trimmed and oil like everyday. I also buff my nails to pervent any type of splits in my nails. I use a clear nail hardner on my nails to help with them becoming strong. Good Luck.
Never leave home without a mirror, you never know what you may look like.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic