Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cuticle Free Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Blondie1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cuticle Free Hair
    Posted: June 08 2006 at 5:28pm
Hi again~

Could someone please tell me what 'cuticle free hair' is?  I have tried searching the topic but I haven't really found a conclusive answer yet!

Is cuticle free hair decent?  Why would we want cuticle free hair?  Don't we try to NOT damage the cuticle when colouring, etc?

So confusing!

Thanks again!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 5:32pm
The cuticle has been stripped away usually with an acid bath. The hair is then coated in silicone. When the silicone wears away, you're left with a hair tumbleweed residing on your head.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:04pm
I bought cuticle free hair from His and Her and it's completely useless. I would have had more joy taking the $70 and wiping my a$$ with it. The hair is a complete knot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 8:57pm
I am SOOOO glad you both took the time to answer my post~ MUCH appreciated.

Reason I asked is because I have been planning to get extensions done in the next couple weeks and am just still in my 'research' phase.  I am NOT experienced with extensions, so I am happy to pay an 'expert' to do them for me.

I had settled on Great Lengths, but it means driving to Toronto to have them done (an hour away).  A local salon does strand fusion extensions called 'Secret Strands'.  I have been having a tough time getting info on them though. 

When I went to the consult, I had a list of questions to ask (thanks everyone for the help with that!).  They are very similar to Great Lengths with respect to installation method, make of the protein bond, etc. 

When I asked about the type of hair, she said "Oh yes, its all human hair".  I then asked about the cuticles of the hair they used and if it all laid the same direction... and she said that they were 'cuticle free' and tried to explain why that is a good thing.

It sounded a bit 'weird' to me simply because I knew that the integrity of our hair is affected by the cuticle being damaged. 
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

The cuticle has been stripped away usually with an acid bath. The hair is then coated in silicone. When the silicone wears away, you're left with a hair tumbleweed residing on your head.

Originally posted by malibu malibu wrote:

I bought cuticle free hair from His and Her and it's completely useless. I would have had more joy taking the $70 and wiping my a$$ with it. The hair is a complete knot.

ROTFLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by Divavocals - June 08 2006 at 11:08pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
222chik222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222chik222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 11:49pm
hehe yeah i like the a$$ wiping comment

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

Originally posted by malibu malibu wrote:

ROTFLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

They are pretty entertaining (and highly descriptive) explanations, aren't they!  LOLLOLLOL

BTW~ Thanks again.

Edited by Blondie1972 - June 09 2006 at 1:03am
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 1:31am
There is a tutorial page on www.hawaiianhairextensions.com regarding stripped cuticle, and why it's done.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 11:35am
Hee HeeeeEmbarrassed

donutloose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donutloose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 12:10pm
Normally asian hair is stripped of the cuticle because as lovely and plentiful it is it only comes in one colour,black, so to lift it to the colours us euros want it is coloured and bleached and then permed as we want it curly so its damaged to the extent the cuticle is then removed and replaced with a polymer coating, which is ok for a while (you can still get good and bad quality asian depending how much u wanna spend!) but a smooth surface retains no moisture so will dry out and knot up, cuticle is the way to go! european if you can get it, also great lengths are a nightmare to remove, I wont touch them now too scary!! sorry for the novel x
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 11:02pm
Bohyme hair is cuticle free hair.  They remove all the cuticles with some power wash technique.  They call their hair Bohyme Remi and they trademarked Remi with an "I" so it's a play on words.    A lot of people like Bohyme.  I've used it and it's decent.  They have a 3 month guarentee that it won't tangle.

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 11:19pm
Afropuffs you are absolutely correct, and Bohyme is the ONLY non-cuticle brand that Ive ever used that I would recommend. They obviously have a 'superiour' hair processing system. Ive had Bohyme outlast most cuticle hair that I have used.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic