Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

At Home Root Touchup for Blonde?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
XoNikchick04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XoNikchick04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At Home Root Touchup for Blonde?
    Posted: June 11 2006 at 8:48pm
Hi there,

I posted a while back after I tried to dye my recently darkened hair back to blonde and ended up with an orange mess.  After two $200 hair appointments (double-process and haircut, 6 weeks apart) I am happy to say that my hair finally looks good again!  I would say it is a light yellowish blonde all over, a bit lighter than the blonde I have been in the past.  I have always had just highlights over my natural dark ash blonde, so the regrowth blended in pretty well and I could easily go 12 weeks without desperately needing a root touchup.  This time, since my base color was lightened as well, I know I'm going to have to get root touchups pretty frequently.  Since I've already spent so much money in such a short time period fixing my hair, I'm wondering if it might be possible for me to do my own roots.  Any blondes out there do your own root touchups?  Is this a difficult thing to do?  I know my colorist used Goldwell color on my hair, although I don't know the formula.  Perhaps I would have the best results if I stuck to this line?  I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you! :)
FabulousHairExt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FabulousHairExt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 9:14pm
Since your hair is naturally a dark ash blonde and you are currently a light yellow blonde, you have 2 options.

Option 1- bleach and tone your roots

Apply a bleach like clairol born blonde and 20 volume developer, leave it on your hair until your hair is yellow with minimum gold tones, then apply a toner like clairol creme toner with 20 volume in shade 315 d light golden blonde leave it on for 15 to 25 minutes.

Option 2- since you are naturally light you should be able to achieve a light blonde with a highlift hair color like clairol complements in shade 12a highlift ash blonde, or wella color charm 210 frosty ash mixed with bp (blonding plus) and 40 volume. You would leave both of these products on your hair for 30 to 45 minutes.

I would personally chose to use the highlift blonde's over bleach. Because it is much better for your hair! You may end up still needing to double process your hair and apply a toner after the highlifts, but since your hair has yellow in it I would say you need to apply a toner anyways.

p.s. if you would like your hair allover less yellow and lighter you could apply the wella blonding plus with 20 volume all over  for 25-30 minutes and you would be very very light blonde. If you do this mix the blonding plus 1 part of developer to 1 part product, not 2 parts developer to 1 part blonding plus as the directions will tell you to.

You can get all of the mentioned products at sally beauty supply. good luck!Smile

Edited by FabulousHairExt - June 11 2006 at 9:21pm
fyi I know my spelling sux!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XoNikchick04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 11:44pm
Hi Fabulous,
Thank you for the response!  I believe my colorist must have used a high-lift color rather than bleach for my roots, as it was left on while my foils were put in and then for an additional 20 minutes or so (about 40 minutes total).  Of the two high-lift products that you listed, do you prefer one over the other?  I've never used professional products before, just drugstore colors (which is probably why I've had so many disasters!).  Also, as far as eliminating the yellow: I would prefer to have less yellow, although what it is now is a HUGE improvement to the gold/orange tones that I started with.  There are still some darker strands, especially in the bottom layers of my hair, that have somewhat of a gold tone to them still.  How would the blonding plus affect these areas?  Also, is this something that would be extremely damaging?  My hair has been through a lot lately, so I am trying to eliminate as much damage as possible.  I'm also afraid that I will mess up my hair again and will have to start from scratch once again.  Anyways, sorry for all the questions - As I said I am new to all of this, but I do very much appreciate your help!  :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XoNikchick04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 1:10am
Hi, me again.  Just wanted to add some visuals incase that would help.  I tried to take some pictures of my hair, but between the lighting and the reflection from the flash, they did not come out very accurate.  I found this color chart:
http://www.lfhair.com/assets/images/color2.gif The color that I have now looks very similar to the "Pre-Bleach" color, although perhaps a little bit warmer and, as I said, still with some of the slightly darker more gold strands from before.  My natural color is slightly darker than the "Beige Ash Blonde". 

Thanks,
Nikki :)
FabulousHairExt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FabulousHairExt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 9:11am
Of the two highlift products listed I much prefer the wella highlift mixed with the blonding plus. The blonding plus is very powerful however does very little damage, but I really can't stress enough the importance of strand test!!!!!!! Exp. since your hair is soo processed. The area's that are still gold will be lightened by the blonding plus, but if you really want these area's to lighten fully I reccomend using a off scalp bleach on these area's until they match the rest of your hair, then do a allover application of the bp (blonding plus). Your nat color deff. from the swatch you showed looks light enough to use a highlift color. I also reccomend deep conditioning twice a week with a good product, ion effective caree is GREAT!!!!!!!!
fyi I know my spelling sux!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic