Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sew in Weave for Caucasian Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
daffodil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffodil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sew in Weave for Caucasian Hair
    Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:18am
I want to put a sew in weave in my friend's hair.  I'm African American, and have only done it for my own hair texture.  I am concerned that the weave will come loose when she is on vacation, while swimming and showering since her hair is straight.  Do you ladies have any suggestions for making a sew in more secure for caucasian hair.  We don't have money for a salon. 

I'm going to add thick bulk synthetic hair to the braid, but was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions.
PRNCEZZRAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRNCEZZRAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:42am

I have a weave and I am caucasian and mine is not secured by hair. It has worked out well for me and I have had it 7 weeks now without any problem. She did braid it too tight and it hurt for a week and caused a little breakage so just be sure not too braid it too tight.

http://public.fotki.com/prncezzral/
moffpoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moffpoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 6:43pm
i would love to get a Sew-in done...:D when my hair is longer naturally  think i will go that route, Amanda on Top model got sewed in tracks (she was a bleach blonde aswell) and it looked gorgoues:D
12 Inch Wawa, Installed with Protac, i love hair extensions<3

lucky chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 8:26pm
Hi Daffodil,
When I wore sew ins my ext stylist used to secure the braid by sewing thread around it  before sewing the weft on.   I don;t know if that is normal practise but she started to do it after my braids slipped the first time and it worked.

Edited by lucky chick - June 13 2006 at 8:27pm
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:20pm
Most of my clients are caucasian with braid and sew extensions. Synthetic hair braided into the cornrow is only good if the client has too little hair to grab ahold of. Using synthetic hair can make your conrow too bulky if your client doesn't really need it. For me, it never caused enough traction to make a difference. Tacking down the cornrows with weaving thread can work, but it makes the take down a bit longer. I've been using very small dental rubberbands from a dental supply company. For silky hair, put one on every 2" inches of the cornrow it will cause traction without harming the hair, and the braid won't slip out. Easy take down just cut the rubberbands. Plus, you can take a break in the middle of the cornrow and use your hands without loosing any of the braid you have already made. I don't sell these rubberbands, but if you want to try them I will send you some. PM me with your address. I use them even when I don't need traction so I can take a break with my hands. 

Currently using: Blended, hand tied European and Indian hair weft on braid & sew track

Edited by mokipono - June 13 2006 at 9:45pm
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by daffodil daffodil wrote:

I want to put a sew in weave in my friend's hair.  I'm African American, and have only done it for my own hair texture.  I am concerned that the weave will come loose when she is on vacation, while swimming and showering since her hair is straight.  Do you ladies have any suggestions for making a sew in more secure for caucasian hair.  We don't have money for a salon. 

I'm going to add thick bulk synthetic hair to the braid, but was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions.
Just make sure you keep the braids thin.. All you want is a little hair to help reduce the slip.. This is how my stylist works with caucasian clients with silky textured hair.. (FYI.. not all caucasian women have silky hair)
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 11:29am
You lucky bastards LOL, I cant get a sew in to stay in my damn head to save my life.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Kalika Kalika wrote:

You lucky bastards LOL, I cant get a sew in to stay in my damn head to save my life.
Girl if you ever make it to LA, I know JUST the stylist who can..Wink
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
sammyJB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammyJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 5:51pm
I still haven't attempted a weave. I don't know where to start!

I think I'll learn to braid first...Confused
Blondie1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by sammyJB sammyJB wrote:

I still haven't attempted a weave. I don't know where to start!

I think I'll learn to braid first...Confused

SmileSmileSmile  I'm with you on that one!
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

Originally posted by Kalika Kalika wrote:

You lucky bastards I cant get a sew in to stay in my damn head to save my life.
Girl if you ever make it to LA, I know JUST the stylist who can..

I know you're talking about Shugar, arent' you, Diva? She is really great, not to mention stylish and glamorous. I went to her a couple of times, but she was a bit far for me. I found a couple of awesome stylists in Pasadena who can weave my baby fine white girl hair like nobody's business.

Kalika, you just haven't found the right gal. I would think down there in Baton Rouge, there'd be a lot of stylists you could try.

Edited by Syren123 - June 15 2006 at 8:36pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Syren123 Syren123 wrote:

I know you're talking about Shugar, arent' you, Diva? She is really great, not to mention stylish and glamorous. I went to her a couple of times, but she was a bit far for me. I found a couple of awesome stylists in Pasadena who can weave my baby fine white girl hair like nobody's business.

Kalika, you just haven't found the right gal. I would think down there in Baton Rouge, there'd be a lot of stylists you could try.

Yes I was girl!!!LOLLOL Wha chu know 'bout Shugar!!!LOLLOLLOL But you're right, for "baby fine white girl hair" Shugar is the QUEEN!!! I can't use Shugar because I'm wearing a full weave and Shugar is only an extensionist.. I would have to go next door to do my relaxer/cut/style.. It can be done (my former stylist is Shugar's cousin), but it takes too much coordination.. It's just easier for me to sit in someone's chair from start to finish..

So give up the dish.. Who's who in Pasadena girlie.. Names?? Numbers?? I'm sorta in the market for someone new..

Edited by Divavocals - June 15 2006 at 6:53pm

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 6:33pm
Okay this is pissing me off. This is the second time my posts have vaporized.

As I had previously written but which was so rudely interrupted, Kim Fox is at Luke Walker's Beauty Care, 626-793-6534. She did what I think was the best, longest lasting weaves I ever had.

Then there's Katy at Katy's Salon, 626-296-2666. I haven't been to her in a couple of years because she got breast cancer and had to take some time off (duh). But I'm pretty sure she's back now, although I don't know if she's working or not. Her salon is still there so I imagine she is. She's a very lovely lady.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 7:05pm

Okay this is pissing me off. This is the second time my posts have vaporized.

As I had previously written but which was so rudely interrupted, Kim Fox is at Luke Walker's Beauty Care, 626-793-6534. She did what I think was the best, longest lasting weaves I ever had.

Then there's Katy at Katy's Salon, 626-296-2666. I haven't been to her in a couple of years because she got breast cancer and had to take some time off (duh). But I'm pretty sure she's back now, although I don't know if she's working or not. Her salon is still there so I imagine she is. She's a very lovely lady.
Thanks girlie.. Don't know how to ask this delicately so I'm gonna ask STRAIGHT out...LOLLOL Does she do African American hair too??

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 7:42pm

Thanks girlie.. Don't know how to ask this delicately so I'm gonna ask STRAIGHT out...Does she do African American hair too??

LOL! She IS African American! I am always the only white girl in the place.

Edited by Syren123 - June 15 2006 at 7:43pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 12:31am

Thanks girlie.. Don't know how to ask this delicately so I'm gonna ask STRAIGHT out...Does she do African American hair too??

LOL! She IS African American! I am always the only white girl in the place.

I had to ask...LOLLOLLOL I found out that I can't assume anything anymore when it comes to extensions.. There's a "caucasian" salon here in Northridge, and they have one girl who does all the weaves/extensions, and she AIN'T African American.. Ya coulda knocked me over with a feather when I found that out..LOLLOL You know the old "There's something you don't see everyday" kinda thing..LOLLOL 

I'm gonna call tomorrow.. It's always fun calling vendors from forum referrals.. They always ask who gave their name, and I have to say.. "Uh duh.. I only know their screenname..."LOLLOLLOL So.. who do I say recommended her??

Thanks for the 411..

Edited by Divavocals - June 16 2006 at 12:31am

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 11:36am
You're going to Kim, then? She'll do you right.

My name is Holly. You may have to qualify that with 'she's a white girl' which is totally okay because, well, I am one. Should make it easier for her to remember me.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 12:44pm

You're going to Kim, then? She'll do you right.
Yes, I'm gonna give Kim a call.. Funny thing about your other extensionist having a cancer scare, so did Shugars cousin (my former stylist).. That's part of the reason why I didn't use Shugar.. Since her cousin wasn't there, I would have to go completely outside the shop to get cut and styled..

Kim doesn't braid too tight does she?? 

My name is Holly. You may have to qualify that with 'she's a white girl' which is totally okay because, well, I am one. Should make it easier for her to remember me.
LOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by Divavocals - June 16 2006 at 12:51pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic