Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help With Cut/Style

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ragingquiet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragingquiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help With Cut/Style
    Posted: June 22 2006 at 1:36pm
A story of my hair.....

- When I was little it was very long and straight

- When I was older and got it cut it went wavy because of razoring (which I simply MUST do as my hair is so incredibly thick)

- I decided to get it short and it went like this
- http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/distortedactuality/aheadlikeahole.jpg

- I got bored with the fringe and it is now like this
- http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c349/distortedactuality/Nice0075.jpg

I want it shorter and more feminine, maybe a slightly-longer-than-pixie-style?

My hair is still wavy and thick...

Any thoughts would be appreciated (and links to ideas!)

Edited by ragingquiet - June 22 2006 at 1:38pm
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 4:36pm
First you have beautifull eyes don't hide them.Your face can support many styles. If I was asked to cut your style first I would suggest some shorter that would show off your features and expose your ears and nape portion of the neck. Nothing extreme but plenty shoter. such as a longer version of a pixe that would have plenty of wispy ends to bring out the cut and certian portions of your face. Or maybe something that would spike out in the back and top if you feel the need or wear straigth. But please add color and highlites. I am a barber and cut many different styles for ladies. As for color, look at it like your paiting a room. main color and accent. I am a big fan of reddish brown with blonde highlites or try brown with a ash color highlites pulled through a cap. Let me know what your thoughts are and I will help as much as you need
Mike
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 8:11pm
Have you seen the ultra-short pixie hairstyles Halle Berry, Alyssa Milano, and Sharon Stone wear, when they wear ultra-short hair?
Try one of those styles, those are very feminine hairstyles that are shorter than your hair, but a style that you would look delightful wearing.

Edited by SanFranBrent - June 22 2006 at 8:13pm
Brent
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 1:21am
Wavy hair can look nice in pixies or other short styles, so long as you don't try to make it be what it's not.  A lot of people try to curl or straighten wavy hair, but if you just let it be wavy and maybe kind of unkempt-looking, it can be really cool ^_^ .
More awesome than a manatee!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 1:46pm
It doesn't look real wavy in the pictures.  I think you would look great with a short pixie and lots of blond highlights.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragingquiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 7:10am
Well.  Here's the result.  It'll take a few days to settle, I'm sure....

Edited by ragingquiet - July 03 2006 at 7:11am
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 8:17am
Oh wow!  That looks wonderful!  I think you look beautiful and I'll bet it is a breeze to style.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragingquiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 9:19am
It takes five minutes... literally :)
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 9:29am

One of the best benefits of having a short haircut is the amount of time it takes to look fabulous.  Congratulations!

HairStyleDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairStyleDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 10:00am
Yeah, looks great
Go for it change is good, Hair grows back.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 10:35am
Originally posted by ragingquiet ragingquiet wrote:

OK I'm gonna toss in my 2 cents here and don't take this personal. Consider this constructive criticism from a professional hairstylist. This style does absolutely nothing but detract from your appearance. Your bangs although wispy are too short for your face shape and make your face appear even longer than it actually is. It would look better if they were left a little longer to minimize the length of your face. The ideal shape you should strive for is oval, you want more around your face...kinda like the first picture you posted.

This is better look for you....

Again I'm only offerring you a professional's opinion of what I think would look best for your face shape so don't take it personally. As for people suggesting taking clippers and buzzing your neck halfway up well let's just say I don't think your face shape is appropriate for that type of extreme haircut.

Cheers

Edited by Claude - July 03 2006 at 10:38am
Porpoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porpoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Claude Claude wrote:

Originally posted by ragingquiet ragingquiet wrote:

OK I'm gonna toss in my 2 cents here and don't take this personal. Consider this constructive criticism from a professional hairstylist. This style does absolutely nothing but detract from your appearance. Your bangs although wispy are too short for your face shape and make your face appear even longer than it actually is. It would look better if they were left a little longer to minimize the length of your face. The ideal shape you should strive for is oval, you want more around your face...kinda like the first picture you posted.

This is better look for you....

Again I'm only offerring you a professional's opinion of what I think would look best for your face shape so don't take it personally. As for people suggesting taking clippers and buzzing your neck halfway up well let's just say I don't think your face shape is appropriate for that type of extreme haircut.

Cheers

Claude, you are totally wrong on that! Her new haircut looks so much better on her! I think most "professionals" would disagree with what you just said.
DANGER! I drive like you do.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Porpoise Porpoise wrote:

Claude, you are totally wrong on that! Her new haircut looks so much better on her! I think most "professionals" would disagree with what you just said.

As a Professional HairStylist I disagree....we can agree to disagree that's fine. If a professional stylist thinks that looks better for her face shape than her previous style they need to go back to cosmetology school and learn the fundamentals of hairstyling 101.

Cheers

shorthairissexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthairissexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 10:32pm
The last couple of posts reminds me of a discussion my wife and I had not too long ago.   She was wearing a style that I encouraged her to try and which I thought looked great on her (she also received compliments fro other people).  She wanted a change (just got bored with the other style) and went to a new stylist who gave her all the "rules" for her face shape.  Well her new style just doesn't do it for me.  Not that it is really any difference in length, mainly just cut differently.  I am sure there are instances or general guidelines that can be helpful for many people, but I also know that visually sometimes styles that go against the "rules" work very well.
To me her current style is kinda cute.  For me, it is a little wild - I think it would look better with a little more control (not too much).
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Claude Claude wrote:

Consider this constructive criticism from a professional hairstylist. This style does absolutely nothing but detract from your appearance. Your bangs although wispy are too short for your face shape and make your face appear even longer than it actually is. It would look better if they were left a little longer to minimize the length of your face.

For what it's worth, this particular haircut, in my humble opinion, does completely redefine her face.  She has such beautiful eyes!  But with the new, very short, spiky haircut, the very first thing I noticed wasn't the eyes and it wasn't the hair.  My attention was drawn immediately to the chin and the length of the face.
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 12:46am
I agree, her new hairstyle looks better than the "hair in the face look" that Claude suggested.
When will people realize that hair in people's faces, it isn't sexy, doesn't look very good, it is stupid, juvenile, and trendy in all the wrong ways.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 04 2006 at 12:53am
Brent
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 9:41am
Originally posted by SanFranBrent SanFranBrent wrote:

I agree, her new hairstyle looks better than the "hair in the face look" that Claude suggested.
When will people realize that hair in people's faces, it isn't sexy, doesn't look very good, it is stupid, juvenile, and trendy in all the wrong ways.

Ugh! What you are looking at or striving for is the complete sillhouette face & hair combined that creates the overall shape. If you were a HairStylist and paid any attention in school you would know this. As for the bangs in the face they can be shortened if that is what makes you think the style is juvenile. Anne hits the nail on the head when she describes what stands out to her in the picture a few posts above.

The goal is to emphasize the best features and minimize less attractive features to creating a perfect look for a client while striving to achieve an oval sillhouette.

I think some of you are just short hair enthusiasts who want every women to buzz their nape with a #2, taper, taper, taper, etc, etc, rinse & repeat.....you people have a hair fetish and are infactuated with the de-feminization of a women by cutting their hair short with clippers.

I'm not saying short hair can't look feminine however the right face shape is needed which is typically a round face shape otherwise the results might not be desireable.
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 10:54am
As a barber stylist I must agree with Claude. As in my job as a barber I see a lot of ladies wanting very short cuts. I do try and talk some out of it. some who  just look better with a very short #2 taper cut. What I don't like is those who cut their hair and are just trying to make a statement or doing it because someone else did it. To have a style that brings out the beauty in one is what we suggest. I have some thank me for talking them out of a very short cut. I have a unique shop that is close to a salon and the looks of a barber shop. client's are a good mix and lot's of husband and wifes comwe in for cuts.As for the cut I feel that the face should have beeen more framed out with wispey sides and longer abngs maybe sliced angled bangs. As I suggested in a earlier post the sides could still be tucked behind the ears for a shorter look. I feel that you should darken the color and add highlites. All and all not a bad cut. tyr to side part and pull your bangs across your forhead for a differnt look. Good luck
Mike  

Edited by mikecuts - July 04 2006 at 10:55am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragingquiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 1:55pm
Well, here's when I style it...

Looks better now, I think.  That other pic was awful anyway.
shorthairissexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthairissexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 4:13pm
Oh Yes, Very, Very Cute.  I agree, I think the other pic was just a bad pic not a bad haircut.  I see the pretty eyes and I don't notice any chin (as others were critical of).  Hopefully, you are happy with it - I think you look very pretty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic