Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help With Cut/Style

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 8:56pm
Claude, how does short hair "defeminize women"?
What century are you living in, the 1800s?
Women have been wearing short hairstyles for many decades.
Do Halle Berry, Alyssa Milano, or Sharon Stone look "defeminized" when they are wearing their short hairstyles?
I have even seen women with shaved heads who look very feminine, if they are beautiful women with the right features for it.
There is much more to a woman being feminine than her hair length.

Relax Claude. All I was saying is that I don't like bangs in a woman's face. It looks stupid, and the poor woman with hair in her face must walk into things.

Edited by SanFranBrent - July 04 2006 at 9:03pm
Brent
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 8:58pm
And to the young British woman;
You look adorable in your new short hairstyle.
Brent
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by SanFranBrent SanFranBrent wrote:

Claude, how does short hair "defeminize women"?
What century are you living in, the 1800s?
Women have been wearing short hairstyles for many decades.
Do Halle Berry, Alyssa Milano, or Sharon Stone look "defeminized" when they are wearing their short hairstyles?
I have even seen women with shaved heads who look very feminine, if they are beautiful women with the right features for it.
There is much more to a woman being feminine than her hair length.

Relax Claude. All I was saying is that I don't like bangs in a woman's face. It looks stupid, and the poor woman with hair in her face must walk into things.

That pretty much sums up what you aren't comprehending!
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by SanFranBrent SanFranBrent wrote:

if they are beautiful women with the right features for it.

Just like what you wrote above, certain styles look better with certain faces.  That's really all I read into Claude's post. 

I really don't think he was knocking all short hair on women at all.  But, with all due respect, so many of the posts on here don't really seem to give thought to a specific cut and face.  If the post involves short hair, then a lot of people just respond with an automated reply, without regard to how the cut looks on the face shape and body size.  (For instance, a  very heavy woman will often look unbalanced if her hair is cut very short)  It seems that as long as the hair is short, it's automatically sexy, beautiful, and the perfect hairstyle, no matter if the cut is flattering or not.  And then, and I find this a bit bizarre myself, there are always a few posts that want to "buzz her down" as Claude said.  That's what I think he means by defeminization.  It isn't an objection to clippers being used to create a certain style, but the predictable response of always having to use clippers just seems like someone has his mind made up before really even looking at the specific haircut.  Some seem to have an obsession with clippers and think they should be used on every single short haircut!

There appears to be little objectivity in the numerous replies.  If a forum is to give thoughtful opinions, and every opinion will nearly always say the same thing, no matter what the circomestances, then what is the purpose of the forum?

Edit:  this is weird!  I know how to spell the word "circomestances"  but the software always changes the spelling!  I understand why the letters appearing after "cir" might be bleeped out when those three letters are by themselves, but unfortunately, the edit looks silly in a perfectly G-rated word!

Also edited to say that I took so long formulating my response that I didn't see Claude's response when I wrote mine.

Edited by anne6000 - July 04 2006 at 11:52pm
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 1:13am
I think she looks great in her last picture; much better than the first picture after the cut.

Edited by HAWG - July 05 2006 at 1:13am
HAWG
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 4:52pm
Obviously people on this board like short hairstyles on women. That is the point of this board. The long haired board is for those who like long hairstyles.

I have no disagreement with any of you that a woman should get a short hairstyle that flatters her and that she enjoys wearing.

I just happen to believe this young lady looks better with the short hairstyle she has, not the suggested hairstyle of hair in her face. That was all I was originally stating on this issue.
Brent
Skydancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skydancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 6:12pm
In my experience the confidence of having a cut you like and wanted is much more important in making it work than whether it should work with a particular face shape.  I've had and been happy with plenty of styles that shouldn't work with my face shape.

And I would like to point out that plently of people love long hair regardless of whether it actually flatters that person. Everyone has their own preferences so do not act like it is just people who appreciate short hair just because you may not agree.

Oh and I love the style, I have considered something similar myself but can never make up my mind! And the most important thing is that you like it!
"Sometime's you have to roll the hard six"

"I hope evil takes mastercard"
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2006 at 8:22pm
Good points you make there Skydancer.
Brent
kimspikedhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimspikedhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 12:18pm
Ragingquiet,
I say, have your hair, the way that YOU like to have it, not what other people say, on how you should have your hair!
And by the way, I love your new spikey do!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 12:46pm
I agree and that seems to be the whole idea behind this forum.  There is a great deal of support here whether you are happy with your short hair or not.  It is nice to know that there are so many people out there who don't have the "long hair no matter what" bias.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

It is nice to know that there are so many people out there who don't have the "long hair no matter what" bias.

I agree very much and also believe the opposite is true:  it's good when people don't have the "short hair no matter what" bias. 

Dynamics of the forum are confusing because in some posts, someone argued that when a poster asks for opinions, those opinions aren't wrong but are welcomed.  However, in this thread, the opposite position seems to be taken, that no opinions, even when asked, should be given unless it supports exactly what the OP and everyone else wants.

With all due respect, I'm sensing a huge double standard here.

And of course, no matter what, the person wearing the hair makes the final decision!  However, it's very confusing to solicit opinions and then have other posters criticize those opinions if they say anything other than "all short hair is automatically beautiful, no matter what style on what face or shape."  Most replies are completely predictable.  It just seems a bit silly to have a forum about discussing short hair if people become agitated when the replies aren't what they wanted to hear.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 2:16pm
I hadn't ever thought of it in exactly that way since the posts I have made over the years soliciting assistance with short hair issues have been met with 100% supportive and encouraging answers.  I suppose sometimes people do misinterpret what other posters are saying and things can get confusing.  I think this forum is special because the long hair bias is much more prevalent than the short hair one and it is just nice to find a place where people do support short hair no matter what.  I can't tell you how many people were actually angry with me when I cut my hair off (and these were just acquaintances, not family or anything).  That is why I find it nice to hang out here.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 4:54am

I don't agree that hair should be all about creating the illusion of an "ideal" face shape, anyway.  *shrugs*  I have a heart-shaped face with a pointy chin and a big, shiny forehead, but I wear my hair however I like, even if that means off the face with my BGF gleaming for all the world to see ^_^ .  Finding beauty in one's own imperfections is far better than trying to create the illusion of some unattainable "ideal", I would say!

More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic