Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hair Spray, Gel, Mouse for Thin, Fine  Oily Hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Spray, Gel, Mouse for Thin, Fine Oily Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sgermain28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgermain28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Spray, Gel, Mouse for Thin, Fine Oily Hair
    Posted: July 05 2006 at 8:39pm
I have very oily, baby fine, thin hair.

Can anyone recommend a good hairspray and gel/mouse for my type of hair? By the mid morning, my hair is already flat and greasy looking.

Thanks.
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 1:37pm
Maybe try some aloe....I've heard it has the same properties as gel or mousse, but with no chemicals so it is gentle on fine hair, and washes out easily. Try to go very light on the application - just a small amount to start with. I think a little goes a long way.
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 11:17pm
I don't tend to use many products on my hair, but I've experimented with gels and mousses, and I've found that just a little bit of mousse does help with body, moreso than the gel.  I don't know if it might work the same for you or not, but you could try.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:02pm

The products you use really depend on how you are wearing your hair.  I also have very fine, pin straight, thin, oily hair.  When I was wearing it smooth in a bob I used very little product at all and washed it every morning.  Maybe used a bit of hairspray, usually Vavoom.  Now I am wearing it short and messy so I use a Wella Crystal Styler gel and Jonathan Product Dirt (a paste to hold hair up) as well as a strong hold hairspray (I like Kenra Volume Spray 25 but that is a personal preference).  I also do not have to wash it every day since the products kind of coat it and it doesn't seem as oily. 

Just a quick note though.  I have not found drug store brands of styling products to be of any help to me at all no matter how I am wearing my hair.  Shampoos are OK but all other products come from salons.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
auramae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auramae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 8:30pm
A spray gel with alcohol applied at the roots will evaporate some scalp oil away and give lift and fullness at the scalp.  My personal fave is Aveda Sap Moss Styling Spray.  It gives a good amount of hold, but can be worked with.
Get Some Hairapy - a hairdresser's prescription for happiness
Carla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 3:34pm
I have very fine thin dry hair.  Through trial and error I have found a regimen that works for me.  I wash every day with Tresemme' Moisture Rich.  I just wash once and concentrate on the roots. I follow with a bit of Tresemme' Breakage Control starting about half way up from the ends and run through ends.  Towel dry gently.  I massage Tresemme' Curl Care Gel just on the roots and just use a dab.  Blow dry upside down with an ionic blow dryer on warm low.  I style with a medium barrel curling iron set on very low. It is actually set so low you can touch it and not burn your hand.  That is how thin my hair is.  Mine is by Revlon and has many adjustments instead of just high and low.  I use Tresemme' 2 for styling and just spray on roots while styling.  When I finish I spray the back and just comb through.  I finish with a bit of #3 hold all over.  It stays during my work out at the gym and then 8 hours of work. 
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

Just a quick note though.  I have not found drug store brands of styling products to be of any help to me at all no matter how I am wearing my hair.  Shampoos are OK but all other products come from salons.
AMEN!

I use too many products in the summer. In SE Texas it's necessary, though......but can be drying when it hits the humidity.

I use:
* Joico Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner alternating with Garnier Fructis Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner every other day. If I don't alternate, my hair doesn't respond correctly. (conditioner only on ends....not roots) Both are for color treated hair.
* Short Sexy Hair Blow It Up Foam Mousse
* Short Sexy Hair Slept-In Texture Cream
* Big Sexy Hair Flip It Over Full & Wild Spray
* Big Sexy Hair Spray and Play Harder Hairspray

I know it seems like alot, but it is the only way I have any volume at all in the humid summer months.

Edited by KellyH - August 15 2006 at 7:05pm
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 2:50pm
Samy Hairspray gives lots of volume...
 And Dove spray leave in conditioner with shimmer makes your hair shiny without weighing it down.
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 2:52pm
Root lifter by Garnier worked a lot better for me than the Paul Mitchel one, even though Garnier was cheaper, so it's all about trial and error. 
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 3:10pm
I have discovered JASONS and am very impressed with the hairspray.

In the past I've used any mousse I wished, but recently changed to Body Shop.  I wear my hair up all the time as it is so fine and flyaway!

When I had a bob I tended to use less products but got fed up with the hairstyle quickly! :)
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 11:17pm
Do you blow dry ever? Flipping your head upside down while blowdrying can add alot of body.

I also heard  (and some people are gonna tell me I'm crazy for saying this~that's fine I can deal with it) That coloring your hair can Add TEXTURE to really fine hair.It makes it feel a little courser so it isnt quite so flat.

And...dont over load on conditioner.If you have oily hair you probably dont need much if any.The oil acts as the hair's OWN moisterizer.

Nexxus DIAMETRESS is  a shampoo good for fine/limp hair

and I use pretty much any mousse..but not too much,cuz that will just make it flat too.
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 11:39am
I find that Paul Mitchell Super Clean Extra hair spray, used in small amounts in the root and top layers (after your hair is fully dried and styled), is great for my fine hair and doesn't aggravate my already oily scalp and skin. A tip: try not to touch or fuss with your hair too much after styling it since the oils on hands will just make it go flat and/or greasy faster throughout the day. It's a hard habit to break, but makes a big difference. This hairspray really helps keep the lift and look, so you won't feel the need to "fix" it as much. Use sparingly so you don't get that "matted" stiff look that we fine hair people can get with product overload. Good luck!
SoFine
khali79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khali79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 3:31pm
ive got a prob with my hair
i can wash it in the morning and its greasy by late afternoon
ive tryed using different shampoos and conditioner and they dont
seem to work , has ne one got ne advice for me as it looks nasty
Confused
lifes a winning battle
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 4:44pm
A quick fix to try... keep a small bottle of basic talc around, like Goldbond. Avoid scented bath powders and don't use Baby Powder (it has an additive with sheen). Less is more here. Sprinkle just a dime size or less onto your hands, spread around a bit, then turn your head upside down and tossle the powder with your fingers into the root area, crown and just around hairline near face. It will help with the afternoon "greasies". Be sure and blend it well, especially if you have dark hair so you don't get a whitish cast. Then restyle quickly and leave it alone. The less you touch your hair during the day, the less greasy it will get.
In the long term, try to find products without excessive oils that are designed for fine hair. Moisture (but not oils) is key to great hair, so you don't want to avoid conditioning. You just need the right product and be careful not to overcondition or overstimulate the scalp.
Hope this helps... it works for me!
SoFine
khali79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khali79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 2:45am
thak you sofine ill give it ago Thumbs%20UpTongue
lifes a winning battle
HABEEB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HABEEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2010 at 7:28am
batise dry shampoo will stop the greasyness an for the volume try this http://www.buyhair.co.uk/tigi-bed-head-superstar-volumising-hairspray-200ml-p-3526.html this stuff is great for vitalising hair, I have one in my hand bag it really lifts my hair and I can spirits it on and have hair full of volume :) hope this helps
xx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic