Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap vs Expensive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
free2be View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap vs Expensive
    Posted: July 16 2006 at 6:00pm

I have never really worn makeup before, only for certain occasions. For this upcoming school year I am ready to start doing it everyday. I have light blonde hair, fair skin, somewhat dry, and very little break out spots. So I need some help in a few areas. What colors best suit my face and hair color? Thats the first step. The second question is, I want to experiment and I dont want to go out and spend a lot of money on makeup I might end up throwing away, so to start with is makeup from the dollar store a bad idea? Another question would be about foundation and concealer, i dont understand what the diffrence is and how to put both on, do you just do it in one spot or over the whole face?

Thanks in advance
Thanks Ya all!
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 9:08am
Hi,

The first thing I'd suggest is to go to the library and check out several books on applying make-up.  Very generally, you'll find several books in the 646 section of non-fiction.

Price has little to do with how good or bad make-up is.  The formulation (what ingredients are in the cosmetics) is what's really important.

A concealer is something that should be lighter than your own skin.  You just apply it in spots that may be darker than the overall face, just as dark circles under your eyes or maybe a red blemish or blotchy skin somewhere.  Some people may never use concealer.  Personally, I use it under my eyes.  After you've applied concealer (if you need it), then you apply foundation all over your face.  Finding the exact color is what is the worst part.  First, you need a formulation right for your skin.  To start, you'd probably want a light, matte foundation.  Heavier foundation coverage might be for someone who had very dry skin or had plastic surgery or who was on stage, or it could be used at night when there is no natural light.  In my opinion, one of the worst things is to "look" made up.  After you've found the right coverage that you need, then you look at the colors, and even among people with light blonde hair and fair skin, all skin tones won't be exactly the same.

The great news about buying make-up in a department store is that you have salespeople who can help you.  On the down side, they'll be pushing their products, whether or not the products are right for you.  Also, these products are not at all cheap.

There probably are several different kinds of foundations for your skin at discount stores.  The biggest problem there is that there are rarely any testers.  One thing you might check out is the store's return policy.  If you get a color or formulation that just doesn't work with your skin at all, at least you can return it.

For a first step, I'd really recommend reading or browsing through lots of different (because opinions vary) books at the library.
Jessica81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 1:03pm
For most make-up (lipstick, mascara, eye-shadow, blush) get the cheap stuff and experiment. BUT if you want to wear foundation & concealer I suggest you go to a department store. Not only do many of the brands look better than some of the cheap stuff, they are better for your skin. Do you really need foundation or concealer? maybe a loose or pressed powder would work for you. I'm 25 and I use a little concealer under my eyes and for the occasional zit, then I apply a thin layer of powder with a brush, not the little sponges they give you.
Jessica81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 1:04pm
sorry, double post

Edited by Jessica81 - July 20 2006 at 3:33pm
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Jessica81 Jessica81 wrote:

BUT if you want to wear foundation & concealer I suggest you go to a department store. Not only do many of the brands look better than some of the cheap stuff, they are better for your skin.

Hi Jessica, what makes you say this?  (I'll admit that department store salespeople are very good at convincing us that the ingredients are somehow better, yet no one has ever been able to explain how)
Jessica81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 3:32pm
Sorry, I don't have evidence. I just feel like my skin reacts better to them. The cheaper foundations cause my face to break out. I think most of the things I've bought from Wal-mart are heavy and I live in a hot humid area, so maybe it is because they don't allow my skin to breath.
free2be View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 11:28pm
wow thanks you guys this advice is great! keep it rolling lol!
Thanks Ya all!
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Jessica81 Jessica81 wrote:

Sorry, I don't have evidence. I just feel like my skin reacts better to them. The cheaper foundations cause my face to break out. I think most of the things I've bought from Wal-mart are heavy and I live in a hot humid area, so maybe it is because they don't allow my skin to breath.

Hi Jessica,

I hope you take my comments in the spirit in which they are intended.  Unless you have tried each and every brand at the drugstore (and that would be many brands and dozens of bottles of foundation), I don't really think it's fair to lump them into one category.  There are many foundations that are expensive and sold in department stores that are equally as bad for your skin, and there really are some very good ones at the drugstore, as well.  Foundations are made in many formulations.  If someone has oily skin and used one meant for dry skin, the foundation would probably look awful on that person, but it doesn't mean that the foundation itself is a bad one.  Also, some are meant for light coverage and others are made for heavier coverage, so it's possible that you used a heavier coverage which wasn't right at all for you.  For instance, Estee Lauder's Maximum Coverage foundation is very heavy and would be awful for me, but it's perfect for a lot of women.  Finding the right foundation -- the coverage, the right one for your skin type, and the right color -- is very difficult, I think, but you may find one at the drugstore or you may find one at a department store!

I use Cover Girl Fragrance-Free Clean Make-Up, which for me, is perfect, because the coverage is light and there are no heavy perfumes, in fact, no perfumes at all.  I've personally found that many of the department store foundations are heavy and have the heavy fragrance, but I'm sure there are many that don't.  What is important to know is that the individual (not only) brand but specific kind of foundation is what is most important, and both drugstores and department stores each have good and bad kinds of foundation, so a generalization really can't be made.
michie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 5:17pm
It's better to "spend" on powder because the pigments in a MAC or Bare Escentuals are a better/higher quality than a Maybelline/CG and they will last you longer. It's also difficult to match your shade at a drugstore. If it's your first time buying powder, you do not want to look like a 2-toned muse because you're trying to save money. Powder creates your foundation, so don't skimp. Find the right color combo. Most places will have SAs who are more than helpful and if you don't like it, shop at a store like Nordstrom, where you can return it freely.  
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by michie michie wrote:

It's better to "spend" on powder because the pigments in a MAC or Bare Escentuals are a better/higher quality than a Maybelline/CG

Other than salespeople who stand to make a lot of money by you thinking this, how do you know? 

Quote It's also difficult to match your shade at a drugstore.

I agree completely.  This is a definite disadvantage.

Quote Powder creates your foundation

How so? 

michie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 6:20pm
I say that because I use MAC. It was/is a stage/theater make-up, that's why it's so intense. I use their Blot Powder as well as Studio Fix. I just started using makeup on my face, so I don't want to look jacked up. I would rather spend money on something that would make my skin look flawless and blends well with my tone. I don't have time nor experience to stand in Target and test colors. That's just me. But, it is recommended that you "spend" money on things like powder, foundations, blush and eye shadows (unless you're just testing out colors)...

And, I said powder "creates" your foundation because it gives you a palette to work on. I don't use foundation and all that other junk, so powder is my foundation.

Edited by michie - July 24 2006 at 6:22pm
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 7:31pm

I say that because I use MAC.

Do you think that perhaps a more accurate statement might be For me, Mac works beautifully, and I love the consistency and how it looks on my face? 

I think that there are numerous good products out there, but because they might not work for us personally, we sometimes tend to discount them for anyone else, as well.  I've done this, too, until someone pointed it out to me. 

Quote I would rather spend money on something that would make my skin look flawless and blends well with my tone.

I very much agree!  However, I hope you agree that it doesn't mean that everything sold at a discount store is automatically not good for the skin.  If someone with oily skin uses a foundation meant for someone with dry skin, the foundation will possibly look awful.  That doesn't mean that anything is wrong with the make-up.  It just means that the person isn't wearing what is right for her.

Quote And, I said powder "creates" your foundation because it gives you a palette to work on. I don't use foundation and all that other junk, so powder is my foundation.

How does it stay on your face?  I would think that powder would "blow" right off!  What other junk do you mean when you say you don't use all that other junk?
michie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:19pm
It's a MESSAGEBOARD. It's made up of opinions and experiences. You can take them or leave them. There is no need to dissect everything I say. It's my opionion, as I stated in previous posts.....I never told the OP to buy MAC.  That's my experience. I did say that a sales assoc. would def. help her choose what's best.

As far as how does powder stay on? Uhhh.....how about the same way eyeshadows and such stay on. I believe those pigments and such that we've talked about play a role...And, the other "junk" I referred to is creams/concealers and such. Again, that's just me.

If you have any more concerns/comments, you can PM me...It makes no sense to keep going back & forth, hijacking someone else's thread. Peace.          

Edited by michie - July 24 2006 at 8:44pm
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 9:13pm

It's a MESSAGEBOARD. It's made up of opinions and experiences.

Exactly!  That's why I think it's important that we give our experiences without dissing an entire line just because it didn't work for us when it may work for others.  Do you see the difference between saying something is inferior and saying that a product just didn't work for one person?

Quote As far as how does powder stay on? Uhhh.....how about the same way eyeshadows and such stay on.

Usually foundation is the literal "foundation" -- it's creamy and provides a surface for those powders to stick to.  That's why I don't understand how powder can stick to a naked face.  What creates the "sticking" surface?  I didn't say it wasn't possible, but I'm just curious how.

Quote I believe those pigments and such that we've talked about play a role...

Pigment relates to color, so I don't understand the connection.  I'm not trying to put you on the spot but am curious to learn.  That's why I asked. 

Personally, I'd rather discuss something and find out more about it rather than accept someone's opinion as fact.  It's just how we learn, and I'm sorry if I upset you.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 12:30am
I'm with Jessica81 on this one. In my old days when I couldn't afford the department store brands I must have tried most drug store brands. I won't say they are totally awful. But they just don't compare. At least on my skin. And I have pretty smooth skin.

They were either too runny, or to cakie, or too oily, or didn't last long, or just could not really match my tone. And most of them caused me to break out. And the worst part is that they would come off so easily on clothing. Like when I hugged someone which was really embarrasing. And overall when I looked at myself in the mirror, it just never looked quite right. And at least on me, it looked very unnatural. I mean I tried maybelline, cover girl, max factor (which is actually a very good over the counter brand) Almay, Revlon, you name it I tried it, and in my opinion they just don't compare. Again, if you are on a budget, there may be one that works for you, eventhough it didn't for me. However from my personal experience when it comes to foundations the more expensive ones work better on me. And I am one that likes to save, so if the cheap ones worked I would go for them. But they just don't on me. There is a new one out though that is supposed to be very good, which is Physicians Formula. Give it a try. Maybe it will work for you.

Once I was able to afford better make up I decided to give the department stores a try. I must admit I hate sales people, and usually tell them I'll call them when I need them. But I have to say they were very helpful when it came to finding the right shade for me, or even the foundation that best suited my skin. I discovered Elizabeth Arden mousse make up, and fell in love with it. It is so lite you can't even feel it on your face. It gives you enough coverage but is still sheer enough to make you look very natural. I always got so many compliments about my beautiful skin when I wore it. The best part, it lasted long and would not come off on people when I hugged them or melt off my face on a hot day. They have other formulas for people who don't like sheer coverage and also look very natural and fresh.

I have now switched to Bare minerals cause it works great on my skin, makes it look beautiful. Is so light. It allowes me to look fully made up, yet so natural. And is so great for your skin. I have fallen asleep with it on, and it won't come off on my pillown neither will it make me break out. As a matter of fact the next morning my skin feels super soft. I love it and will stick with it for now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic