Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cracked Toe Nails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jessica81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked Toe Nails
    Posted: July 17 2006 at 1:31pm
Since I was 13 my pinki toes have been split up the middle.  Not only does it look bad, but sometimes it hurts.  Is there any way to correct this?
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 9:34am
Not really.  If they have been damaged for that long, nothing will change that.  Keep them short.  You could look into adding a layer of acrylic over the nail to help seal it, but that isnt a permanent fix
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:09am
I'd be concerned since you said it sometimes hurts.  This could be a medical problem, and if it were me, I'd see a doctor about it.  I don't know how old you are, but if you are still living with your parents, I'd tell them about it and ask them to book an appointment with a doctor.  Maybe it isn't a medical problem, but your nails should not hurt like that.
Jessica81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 3:20pm
Thanks.   I don't live w/ my parents. I do have health insurance, but I don't think it's a medical problem. It isn't a constant pain. It hurts when the nail get caught on something, which is easy to do, since it is split. So it's like having a hang nail.

I really like the acrylic idea. I think I'll try that. Do you think it will look odd to have one acrylic nail?
Deb89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deb89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 4:11pm
From what I've seen acrylic looks like a regular nail polish and you can get it either clear or with colored nail polish over it. Don't take my word for it, I just saw my friend get acrylic put on her nails.
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 4:43pm

If it were me, I'd really get a medical opinion before I put glue on the cracked toenail.  It may be all right for the acrylic, but I'd hate to put a potential problem on top of the one you've got.

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 8:28pm
Have you asked around or looked at your family members? Do they have the same problem. Cracked pinky toenails are usually a genetic trait. You know like a widows peak, or having that weird toe that kind of sits higher than the others. If other members in your family have it, then you'll know for sure is just a genetic trait. If not, then I have to agree with Anne6000. You should see a dermatologist because is probably either some kind of deficiency or most likely a fungus.

Much love, Shary

Edited by Sharyg11 - August 29 2006 at 4:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic