Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Dreadlock History (take a read)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
3Dread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3Dread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Dreadlock History (take a read)
    Posted: August 08 2006 at 2:05am
The name's Roschell. 

Well, I was brought up on reggae, so naturally, I wanted locs when I was able to say it.  Took a while, but I've got them now.  Before locs, I usually kept my hair cut low, but I was then allowed to grow a fro. 

Me with my fro.

Well, my mom got tired of that, so she told me to go out and find someone to braid it.  I liked braids, liked the look, but they weren't my goal and they weren't too comfortable to me.

I saw one thread about a guy who liked how his hair looked after he took braids out, but I didn't start mines like that.  A lady blew out my afro and twisted it with gel, no wax, just gel, dried it, and it held, and I'd go back everyone 4 weeks.

Young Dreads take 1.

I don't know if anyone can relate here, but I was afraid of the hair untwisting (one did eventually when I fell asleep), so I didn't wash my hair....... for the first 3 months.  I made sure to go to the lady doing my hair routinely, and she made sure my scalp didn't dry out or become too itchy, but I don't think I told her I didn't wash it.

Over time, they grew...
Kinda Dirty, but still look okay.

And grew....
Freshly Retwisted take 2

And grew.... (by this point I wasn't afraid to wash them, and now enjoy it).
Dreads wet after a shower (I'm decent LOL).

And now, they are where they are.

Couple of weeks ago.

I've had dreads for a year and 3 months, and plan on having them a LONG time.

HOWEVER, I RAN INTO A PROBLEM.  My new maintance lady, decided that it was time to "trim" my dreads.  She took clippers and went along each one very precisely, it made them lay down better, and act more "individual".  However, upon trimming one, she noticed this.  Yea, I had a dreadlock become thin.  I freaked out, but guess what, those 7 hairs are strong lol, it's still in tact and gets thrashed around a lot when I wash them.  I'm getting them twisted again Wednesday, I'll post new pics.

All my photos are here.  I invite you all to take a look see..

Any questions anyone has, I'd love to hear them, and help you find an answer if I can, and I might just have a few questions of my own if you have a different hair texture.  PEACE!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 4:09pm
Those look really nice...my uncle had his locks for over 20 years, down to his butt.

I also know a few people who had them for a long period of time for years and years and one girl took a few locs apart...took hours and hours for each lock but it worked.

Umm, i guess the washing is up to the individual because everyone Iknow wash/ rinse often.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

3Dread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3Dread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 8:59pm
Take a look at this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYkX19kODHM

Guy has locks pratically to his ankles haha.

Yea, I didn't wash my hair regularly because if I washed them as soon as I got them twisted, I'd pratically be waisting my money.  And now, I like the twisted look as much as I like the normal look, so I'll keep the roots twisted as long as I can.

I'll start washing regularly most likely when I start college next week haha.

Just got my hair retwisted Wednesday.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/three-d/yo009.jpg

Edited by 3Dread - August 11 2006 at 9:01pm
Dreadzondaway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreadzondaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:43am
Hey wassup bro I'm currently just starting on dreads i got retwist yesterday but what do u do let your hair nap up I'm not locked yet let it sit for a long time and get retwists or get retwist every 2 months how did u do that your pattern or sequence?
3Dread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3Dread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 2:24pm
If your hair is like mines.  Just get it twisted and do your best not to wash it.  If it starts to itch, consider misting with water, or if it's been like 4 or more weeks go ahead and consider getting it retwisted.  The number one thing to do is to refrain from washing as long as possible, but at the same time take care of your scalp. 

After a while, you'll know when they've locked good. 

Of course, websites and stuff recommend washing it, but you really don't have to, just take care of your scalp, that'll keep it from itching, and give them time to nap up on their own.

YOUNG-DUDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YOUNG-DUDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 4:23am

YOUNG-DUDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YOUNG-DUDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 4:24am
WELL I GOT MINE GEL TWISTED SO ALL I GOTTA DO NOW IS JUSS KEEP GETTIN EM RE TWISTED???
Rizzler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rizzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 10:41pm
Nice stuff man how long it take you to grow your hair out and how long it is in dat first pic!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic