Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Living with the Mother-In-Law: Need Advice!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thedotsons84899 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedotsons84899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Living with the Mother-In-Law: Need Advice!!!
    Posted: September 07 2006 at 8:41am
Okay, so I'm from Texas.  I met my fiance there almost two years ago.  (Our 1 year anniversary is coming up...September 15!!!)  Anyway, he is from Florida and was in Texas working.  Okay, so here's the thing, when his dad passed away, he left Jonh, my man, the families land, 20 acres.  4 years ago, John bought a mobile home and set it up on the land.  His mom, Betty, had her own home about 4 hours south of where the land is that she and John's dad lived in.  Jeb, Jonh's brother and his new wife moved in there with Betty.  When they got pregnant, Betty singed the house over to them and let Jeb have it.  (She felt like she was in the way.)  Since John was going to be working in Texas for the next three years, he said she, Betty, could live in his house and keep it up.  They had arranged for him to pay certain bills and her to pay certain bills.  Well, about 2 years ago, Betty wanted to reconsolidate all her debt, so John let her use the house and land as collateral. (Keep in mind that my honey is a very honorable man and respects his mother very much.  Betty is a wonderfull lady, also and I love them both very much.)  The agreement had always been that when John found someone and moved back home, Betty would move out and get an apartment.  Here in lies the problem.  We decided to move to Florida and live in John's home.  Of course his mom would be here for a while, but we get along great, so no biggie, right...
John has a great job and makes 29+ an hour.  Only he hasn't always been very responsible with his money.  He's 37 and has only had 1 other serios relationship, so he just went about spending his money any way he wanted.  His mom has helped keep him out of the red with his bank account, (When John got old enogh to get an account, ho got a joint account with his mom so she could help him keep up with his bills and such, since he traveled for work so much.) and paid some of his bills when he blew to much money.  This has worked out very well for them in the past, because it was just them, but now, I'm here...Anyway, Since Betty had helped him so much, he felt obligated to help her with the debt consignment, because part of her debt was because of him.  Okay, that is very commenable..I mean how many men do you know would help there moms like that?  (Oh yeah, I know what you're thinkin', but he's not a 'momma's boy'...) 
So now that we're here, it turns out that she can't afford to move out and get hre own apartment...Every once in a while, she talks about her house and her yard..I know she's been the one here taking care of the place, and I don't expect her to just pack her bags and go live in a card board box, but when is it going to be my house...our house?  (Oh, I should mention that Jonh is working 10 hours away from us in Homestead, so It's me and her and my 9 yr old daughter, Brittany.) Or for that matter is it going to be our house or are we supposed to just let her have it since she let jeb have hers and she's been the one here all this time?  I mean, she calls it her home...
If anybody has any advice, please feel free to give it..I need it...Thanks.
Tiffany
laidbackkidatl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laidbackkidatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 10:59am

this is what i whould do just sit her down n tell how u feel dont hold nothing in n then go from there. it may work it may not or u can try 2 find her a good place 2 live or just let her have the house. for a good peace of mind

Edited by laidbackkidatl - September 07 2006 at 11:00am

look 2 god for all the real answers.
young_africa View Drop Down

360 Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young_africa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 5:42pm
you should tell your husband to politly remind your mother in law of the agreement they had when she moved in.
rlinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 9:42pm
all u got to do is let thigns happen n den talk to ya gurl about what happened n den if youll still have problems talk to da mother in law and see if the are willing to change and if not ----give an altimatum -----u change and get betta or u leave
BALLASTATUS View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Champ '07/HB AllStar Team/360 Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BALLASTATUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 8:01pm
I FEEL YALL BOYS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic