Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Newbie going grey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ellenmg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellenmg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Newbie going grey
    Posted: September 20 2006 at 7:44am
Hi Folks,
      My name is Ellen, I am 55.  I am trying to figure out how to handle this whole "back to natural" hair thingie.  I am about 75% grey on top, 95% grey on the sides and about 35% grey in the back.  My hair is shoulder length and I am not willing to cut it off.  My original color was dark brown.  I have been using a demi-permanent light ash brown, which is pretty permanent in my experience!!!  So I have medium color on the rest of my hair.
     I have considered doing some bold light grey/white streaks on top and sides to blend in the grey.  I have read that the general way to handle the transition is to do lowlights but I really don't want to do that.  ANd I am trying to avoid that "skunk" look.
  Anyone try this?  Any thoughts?
Ellen
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 3:01pm
I'm slightly younger, but went grey early and you could be describing my hair.  I also thought about adding white streaks, but didn't want to use bleach after reading all the horror stories here.  I used lowlights once to soften the brown/white line.  Then I bit the bullet and just stopped using dye.  Sounds easy, but it took me years to build up the courage to do it. 

It looked awful for a few months, but now after18 months it looks lovely.  It is soft and shiny and looks like real hair as opposed to a brown hat!  It is straight and the stripes really show up strongly.  I love them and so do others if the compliments are anything to go by.  Good luck.
murf26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murf26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 10:43am
Hi Ellen,   my name is Mike and I'll be 50 next year.  Decided about three months ago that I am going to let my hair grow.  I already had about 4 months' growth when I started.  Have hints of silver but most is dark brown/black and sorta coarse.  Have some Native American heritage, so I thought this would be a really neat way of honoring my ancestors by growing my hair out.  Would like to get it shoulder length but it's just beginning to touch my collar.  my folks are prematurely gray but I'm not going to worry about it...just leave it natural.  Don't want to get near a pair of scissors for a looooong time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic