Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Clairol said not to add drabber to their color?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clairol said not to add drabber to their color?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brownie61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clairol said not to add drabber to their color?
    Posted: September 25 2006 at 3:48am
Last October I colored my mid-back length, permed hair to cover some gray.  I don't have much, but enough that it's a pain to pluck out like I was.  I used Clairol Nice and Easy in 114 Light Ash Brown per the recommendation of the helpline. The color matched my natural color fairly well (natural being lighter shade of med brown with golden and red highlights) bit I still got a bit brassy in the length and a LOT  of brassy at the roots. The brassy roots faded a little to the point of being tolerable.  I am wanting to color again since I still have the gray hair problem.  There is a little bit of difference in color between my natural color outgrowth and the dyed hair, with my natural hair being a little darker.

I called the Clairol helpline.  The woman there said I probably went too light the last time (even though they recommended that shade). I explained that 6 yrs ago I tried one shade up, the natural med brown, and it was way too dark. Luckily a perm took the color out. I asked if I could add a color corrector or drabber to the 114 light ash brown color to take out the brassiness and she said drabbers cannot be added to the boxed haircolor bought in the store.  Is this true?  She said I am between shades and will need to mix 2 shades but that I need to have my hair professionally dyed first, then she could recommend a mix for touch ups. Does this make sense?  Why woukd I need a professional dye first?  How will that help her determine which 2 shaded to mix?  I am not trying to change my hair color, just cover gray.

I cannot afford to go to a pro.  I am thinking of giving the Clairol Natural Instincts semi permanent color a try again even though the last time I did used it my gray did not cover and I got way too dark even using a lighter shade.  My hair really grabbed the color, I'm assuming b/c of the perm and my hair being so long. I am going to do a strand test but need to know if it's safe to use semi-perm over permanent?  Is it true about not using drabbers in the Clairol? Thanks for any help or suggestions
Denise Kingsley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denise Kingsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 9:47pm
So, the last time you colored was October? How many inches of outgrowth do you have?

If your main reason was to cover gray, you would not use a drabber. Warm colors cover gray better than ash.

You can use a demi over permanent, but it does not cover gray well, it just stains it a bit.  A demi will grab more on porous hair, like the ends.

To give proper advice, I would need more specific info.

Denise Kingsley
brownie61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 12:31am
Thanks for responding, DeniseSmile.  Measuring with a tape measure I have about 5 1/2 inches at the sides and 6 inches at the crown (weird that one area grew faster)  of outgrowth.  It's blended pretty well.  The dyed color is a bit lighter than my natural color, but is brassy.  The reason I was going to use a drabber is b/c I have red undertones and highlights in my natural hair that turn brassy if I don't use ash based color.  When I first colored with permanent color in 2000 I used Clairol nice & easy #116 natural medium brown.  It turned hideously brassy, almost orange,and way too light!  2 months later I used #118 natural medium brown and it was REALLY dark.  After I had a perm my hair went back to normal color and I was afraid to color again until last October. I did try Natural Instinct twice back in 1999 and it always turned too dark no matter how light a brown shade I used.  It also did not do to well at gray coverage.  I tried NI again in 2002 and again, too dark even with a dark blond shade.

I have long to the bra strap length hair.  Vertical wrapped perm on gray and white rods with Quantum Perm for color treated hair (Purple box) that I perm every 15-18 months.  The Quantum perm never falls out on me - looks just as curly after 18 months-and since my hair has a natural wave the outgrowth blends in ok for about 15-18 months before it starts to look flat on the top.

I condition with Joico k-pack followed by Loreal Mega Moisture conditioner every 3 weeks, use Mega Moisture by itself every 10 days and do an Aphogee Protien treatment every 3 months, using Mega Moisture immediatly following. I used Roux Porosity Control before I colored last October.

Thanks for any help and suggestions. I need to find a way to get rid of the gray without damaging my hair or turning too brassy or dark.  BTW, my gray is scattered and not concentrated at the temples.  There's not a lot, but enough that it's too much to pluck out rather than color.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 1:11am
 What is a drabber? I have never heard that term before,just curious.
Maybe you should consider going blonde,it's easier to cover grey with blond and it wont keep changing colors on you.
Denise Kingsley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denise Kingsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 8:41am
OK, so we want to cover gray.
2 things to try,
Forget the boxed color and head to Sallys
Use the ash color, the lighter one, with 10 volume
20 comes in those boxes

See how that covers the gray, you could have resistant gray, there is another thing to try, later. try this first.

Then, since demi colors seem to grab very dark on your hair, you will need to shampoo with a color enhancing shampoo
Try Artec, it is not a cleansing shampoo so use shampoo first, then the Artec

You will mix equal parts of Lemon flower, cocoa bean, and white violet

shampoo with that. You can shampoo it over and over again because it accumulates, which is a good thing.

Just shampoo the brassy hair, not the rest.
See how that works, then we can alter the custom blended shampoo formula.
Denise Kingsley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic