Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

washing and perms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mi amor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mi amor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: washing and perms
    Posted: November 09 2006 at 9:48am
i got a perm done on my hair yesterday and the hair dresser put so much gel and mousse and hairspay in it and i cant stand it. i want to wash my hair so bad but im afraid that if i do it will ruin my perm. help please
marquez
TMortis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMortis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 8:04am
Washing your hair after a perm will not ruin it. However DO NOT USE  BABY SHAMPOO..That will. Use a shampoo especially formulated for permed hair and be sure to deep condition after, and let it dry naturally and you should be fine.  I don't know, but if my beautician needed so many styling aids after my perm, i'd find a new stylist.
Tommi
mi amor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mi amor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 8:15am
i asked her not to do it but she said i needd it. i have very nice hair so i am not big on gels and hairsprays. i just love it natural. its bad enough that i hate my hair feeling like straw. i really need to wash it... thanks
marquez
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 1:05pm
That is good advice. I usually want the client to wait at least 24 hours before shampooing to let the perm set but you obviously didn't have that luxury.

Now that you have the perm, it is important that you take care of your hair.  As recommended, you should use a gentle shampoo (one made for permed hair) and a very good conditioner. You should also protect your hair from chlorine and excessive heat from curling irons and blow-dryers.

Good luck and enjoy your curls! Wink
Merlin
TMortis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMortis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 9:58am
I remember one perm I had. It was very curly, I loved it, the wofe didn't. I was in the shower and I thought that baby shampoo would be best, gentle. WRONG.  i was a friz bomb and had a haircut within the week. Within a month, my hair was straight and dry. i couldn't perm for a while. A nice deep conditioner once a week or so would help too. How long is your hair? Do you color? Let us know how it is going.
Tommi
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 1:39am
Once I got a perm I hated so I washed on purpose,several times.It still stuck,for like,3 years! I eventually had to straighten it cuz it just wouldnt leave. Not sure this a normal thing though.(and my hair was stick straight before,not even wavy)
TMortis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMortis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 6:48am
You never know how a perm is going to turn out. I sat under a dryer for 15 minutes one time and the next i was under for 40 minutes. Sometimes the curls are so soft and sometimes hard. My beautician used the same perm, same rods, and it was just my hair condition i guess. Same thing with color, sometimes it is right, sometimes brassy and sometimes just plain wrong.
Tommi
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 4:04pm

I wouldnt have minded the perm,but I really wanted big curls and they came out small and tight and looked kinda kinky.She said she used the biggest rods too...has anyone else had that exprience? What do ask for if you want larger looser curls?

TMortis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMortis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 9:11pm
Body wave. I had a body wave on the largest white rods- in about a week, i was straight. Unfortunately, for it to last, you need a tighter wave. I love curls, not frizz.
Tommi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic