Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing Liquid Gold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
greathairday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greathairday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Liquid Gold
    Posted: November 15 2006 at 3:59pm
So when I am trying to remove wefts glued in with LG, they don't come out so easily for me with the oils. The Protac comes out quite easliy with the orange oil or C-22 but what should I use to get out JUST LG? Is the actual LG Remover worth getting? Is that an oil or is it more like acetone? Thanks.
Why not have a great hair day???
kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 5:18pm
I'm using just LG these days myself and am experimenting with what removes it best. I used C22 last time and it took a little time to remove all the wefts. The bits of LG came out of my hair easily with a comb, but I had to use acetone to clean the wefts. Previously when I've used acetone to remove the wefts from my hair, they came off very easily. However, acetone left masses of sticky glue boogers in my hair that only came out with a bunch of C22 and a good shampooing.

I'm doing a removal on Saturday and have purchased LG remover to try. It is an oil-based substance containing "Cosmetic grade Mineral Oil, Stoddard Solvent Type 1, Trimethylbenze, and Petroleum Distillates." No acetone whatsoever. It smells very mild and pleasant. The directions suggest using a warm iron after applying the remover to help loosen the bonds. I'll update you on how well it worked after my adventure on Saturday.
Here's to the end of my BAD HAIR LIFE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greathairday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 5:25pm
Look forward to the update. kristie M you inspired my switch from Protac to the LG for the wefts. ALL the same reasons you have listed. I almost PMed you to ask you...Please let me know how the removel with the LG remover goes.
kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 5:41pm
Cool! We'll figure out this puppy together. I've gotten every aspect of using LG down to a science except for the removal. I'm liking wearing it so much more than Protac. I'm especially loving being able to use moisturizing shampoo and lots of rich conditioners without breaking down the bond. Once I find the perfect removal products and techniques, I won't be switching methods anymore!
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 5:57pm
ooo i cant wait for your removal newscast kristie !   i did like the way LG held when i used it on the top rows, but after my removal im scaaaared of using it again...in fact i stuffed it way in the back of my hair install accessories drawer lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greathairday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 6:57pm
ditto nursie- I love the way at feels on my head and how it looks. Way better for me than Protac which got gooey and thick. I work out daily and have oily hair to boot so that may be the problem for me. The removal if the LG is all I have to figure out. Let's keep our fingers crossed on the LG Remover.
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 7:04am
Hi Girls!
I have never tried Liquid Gold install, I only use liquid gold to glue wefts for a double weft and that's it.
What I like about Protac is that a layer of your own hair comes on top of the Protac tape and hide it better.
Do you have anything like that with Liquid Gold or is it only sticky on the bottom? (which is my guess)
Thanks a lot!Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greathairday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 7:11am
you can do the sandwich method with LG too - I personally don't so someone else can chime in here. but I think you just put LG on the top of the weft & pullhair down on it like with  Protac.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 7:12am
You get the best and longest hold out of LG by sandwiching the wefts. Ive never had an issue removing LG (unless the bonds are fresh...they are STRONG) Its a little more work than protac and the remover (of whatever choice) takes a bit longer to work. Acetone still works the best for me whether it be protac removal or LG removal.

Edited by sherrie215 - November 16 2006 at 7:13am
aimee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 8:28am
i completely switched to LG (from pro tac) its easier to get out for me i use the c22 remover (sometimes diluted) let it sit.....after use curling iron or blow dryer on bonded area wefts slide right out after let it sit some more and comb the glue out with a fine comb and then i wash my hair with cleaning shampoo

(after a while the pro tac glue started to break down to soon on my head and left residue of the glue on my head i couldnt get out for atleast a week thats why i switched to LG)
im a synthetic girl and i love plastikhaar
pinkparadise42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkparadise42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 10:30am
I always install with LG and I love it.  I also never have any problems with removal. 

I usually spray some of Amms remover on and then apply some conditioner.  I apply it right at the base of the weft where the LG is.  I leave it on for 10-15 mins and this really helps them slide right out for me.  Then I just go over with a fine tooth comb to get all the little goopies out!
kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 11:28am
I always use the sandwiching method with LG. It works exactly like with Protac. Now, for you blondes, you don't have to worry if the yellow-y stuff shows in the sandwiched hair on top of the top weft. Us dark-haired people have more of an issue with it showing. What I do (and gotta tell you it works GREAT, both to hide the bond and increase its strength and longevity) is to put a final, covering weft right on top of the highest weft. For this weft only, I put LG on the underside of the weft, then stick it right at the top edge of the last sandwiched weft I've glued. The glue from the top of the sandwiched weft and the glue from the bottom of the covering weft sort of bond together and make a really secure adhesion that is, if your wefts match your hair and aren't too large, so invisible that you can put them very close to the top of your head without being seen. The Wagman wefts are perfect for this.

I've found that the right syringe that delivers a fine steady thread of LG makes this process fast and easy. I've discovered that not all syringes are created equal for this. I bought vet syringes, and learned that the opening is too large, causing the glue to spurt big globs all over the hair. I found some decent ones at my medical supply place, but the "snout" isn't narrow and they don't come with a cap. Everyone raves about Elvira's syringes so I have an order coming in a day or so for my next install. Getting enough LG on the wefts to make a tight bond but not so much that it blobs all over the place and causes the wefts to slide around seems to be the trick.

To me the major downside of LG is that it isn't forgiving at all. With Protac you can pull the weft off and reposition it if you make a mistake. You can hold a long weft with two hands while you're sticking it in. With LG, it is easy to squirt too much on the weft and there is not much you can do to get it off immediately. Same if it gets into your hair. When positioning wefts with LG, where you stick it first is where needs to stay. If you try to move the weft around once it is on your head, you'll have a glue mess and the final bond won't stick well because less glue is on the bonded spot. The other tricky thing is putting in long horseshoe wefts with LG. If you put glue on the entire weft, I've found there is no way to hold the whole thing, position it and get it in the right place without making a big mess. I've requistioned my SO to hold one end of the weft while I place the other end. He also helps guide the placement along the back. This makes him very nervous but he's a sweetheart and does an excellent job of assisting me with placement of the wefts. If I didn't have a third hand, I would glue half the weft, place it, hold it until it is dry, then glue the second half.
Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 11:47am
that's funny!
I do the same thing. I ask my SO for help applying the long horseshoe wefts to my own head.
He gets so worried that he'll do it wrong that I have him help now just to watch how cute he is when he's fumbling with my hair (but shhh don't tell him that) :)

I use the liquid gold bond dissolver with a hot iron and the wefts fall right out. But I do get that gooky stuff left over in my hair sometimes where I overdid it with the LG. I've used proclaim superbond remover shampoo and really thick oily conditioners after that helped. But some of the bigger gooky pieces take a few days to come out.
It's Official...
I'm Addicted To Hair Extensions!
B.B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 12:05pm

My favorite remover is LG.  Letting it sit for a little bit and adding some heat seem to really do the trick & little if no glue-y gobs leftover.

Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 12:09pm
Thanks for the pointers Kristie!
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greathairday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 2:25pm
Can I jusy say I am SO lovin' all the LG chatter - I thought I was all alone in a field of Pro-tacers...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greathairday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 5:28pm
What is Elvira's site where you got the syringes? I bought from Sherrie and they worked fine (and delivery was super fast)- but I'm always up for checking out options.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 6:00pm

Originally posted by greathairday greathairday wrote:

Can I jusy say I am SO lovin' all the LG chatter - I thought I was all alone in a field of Pro-tacers...

LOL...I had to laugh. I was using LG long before Protac came along, heck I was using LG before preglued fusion tips or shrinkies came along....LOL

Edited by sherrie215 - November 16 2006 at 6:01pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greathairday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 6:48pm
I know it is the old standard! An oldie, but goodie, I guess.
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 6:53pm
ok, ive already admitted that i am impatient with my hair extension removal (among other things!).....but what IS a decent amount of time to wait after applying:
C-22/orange oil remover to work on LG?
acetone to work on LG?

it really did hold super well for those top wefts, i do think LG would always outlast my protac if i use it again...is the LG bond still considered too 'new' at 4 weeks? (that's when my protac has to be redone)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic