Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm doomed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sabrielle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrielle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm doomed
    Posted: December 27 2006 at 5:52pm
I can't believe I did this. I just can't. I had hair down PAST my bra strap and cut it the heck OFF. I mean, it is pixie now. It's brown (natural color), wavy, and I look absolutely UGLY. I'm so, so depressed by this. I can't look in the mirror. I don't look remotely pretty now, and I don't even know when I'll have enough hair to look somewhat feminine with. Think Mia Farrow's style, put on a Jewish-looking chick in an ugly color. I don't want to dye it because I want it to be HEALTHY as it grows out. Has anyone else gone through this? It's seriously changed how I see myself. I feel so completely ugly it's ridiculous. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 4:46am
Aw,I'm so sorry this happend to you! Yes,I have done this myself~and I cried for days over it.My husband thought I was a nutcase,LOL.
The very good news is,it will grow pretty quickly. Within a week of my cut,it already seemed like it grew alot. Shorter hair grows faster then long hair (because after a certain length the cycle slows)
Be sure to take a multi-vitamin everyday and maybe try getting some biotin. They say nothing really speeds up hair growth,but I think it does help. Eat well,sleep well,and in a few months it will not be so bad,I promise!
Once it is long enough to pull into a small stub of a ponytail,you could get one of those hair piece ponytails that are so popular these days until it grows more. The kind you clip onto your hair.
I think you should do something about the color though if you dont like it. Having a color you like may help make you feel a little better. And since it is so short you wont really be damaging that much.
When I did this,after 3 months my hair looked better,6 months alot better~and in a year it looked back to normal (well,at least normal as in it wasnt what I'd consider too short anymore~like the base of my neck in length)
When this happend to me,I also tried to do things to take my mind off of it. For instance,I wouldnt watch movies or shows with people who I knew would make me feel uglier. I'd read instead,or play video games. I'd buy clothes that made me feel prettier/sexier and wore a bit more make-up.
I know how horrible this feels,but it will grow back.You may even find ina month or so that it is actually not as bad as you think.Wink
DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 7:19am
Hi
So sorry to hear about what happened. Julesyjul88 has given you some great advice and just to back her up, I can tell you that this happened to me also, only back in August. I made the mistake of trying out a new stylist as her prices were a little cheaper than my usual stylist. BIG mistake. I ended up with really short hair ( I only wanted the ends trimmed from my usual bobbed styled hair) I felt ugly and it knocked my confidence tremendously. However, after about 4 weeks I was able to just about make a tiny, tiny, ponytail ( with the use of hair pins ect ) and just as Julesyjul88 suggested, I purchased a couple of clip in ponytail pieces and it totally transformed the way I looked and felt. These were complete life-savers for me and it seemed that in no time at all my hair grew long enough to leave it down once again. This was only 4 months ago and my hair is now back to how it was before it was cut.
On me, the short hair looked all wrong because I don't have the features for it but on some people it looks great and very sexy. Take a good look at it again and see how by wearing some beautiful make-up can take the attention away from your hair and give more focus to your facial features and more importantly make YOU feel better. If you think that colouring you hair may help....then do it.  As Julesyjul88 has said... it really won't damage it that much and eventually, this hair will become the ends anyway which you can have trimmed. Do what ever it takes to make you feel better and time will fly by....I promise. The one consolation that you have is that your hair will be in great condition and something to be proud of in the end. Hang in there.Wink
Sabrielle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrielle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 5:50pm
wow, both of your replies really made me feel much more at ease with the disaster. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. The positive thing about my own crazy venture into pixieland is that it's going to be REALLY interesting to see what my hair does when it's short. I mean, I have no idea anymore. It hasn't been short for years and years. It's like having totally new hair. And actually, I really think a good four inches of my old hair was pretty disgusting/damaged, so at least that's gone. Now I just need to try to focus on other things, try to pretend that I'm not quite as mousy as I think I look at the moment.
DulcieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DulcieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 12:26pm

I'm so pleased that you appear to be feeling a bit better about your new look.
It's rarely as bad as you think it is.... its just the initial shock of losing the hair that makes you feel dreadful, once your over that....it becomes easier to deal with. Just remember that short healthy hair always looks far better than long hair thats in poor condition. Good luck for the future and just keep thinking of those lovely locks that you'l eventually have....... oh and  Happy new year. Tongue
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 12:31am
Yes,I agree with DulcieB.The worst thing for me was the comments from other people I got like,"What did you do to your hair?" Or,"why did you do that?"
Once you get passed any unwelcomed comments,then you just deal with it and it is not so bad.I just didnt need other people making  me feel worse then I already did.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 11:19am
 Unhappy I'm sorry that you made a bad decision for yourself, Sabrielle. *Everyone* does! Seems like the worst thing is that *you* are wondering what in the world happened. Short hair, styled properly,  can be cute on virtually every woman, so I'm sure you'll make the best of your situation. Have fun with it, and remember next time that you are a long hair at heart. Keep a wallet photo from now as a reminder. God bless, Bob
     P.S. My wife was spiked in '98, and now it's TB! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic