Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mineral makeup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mineral makeup
    Posted: January 09 2007 at 6:10pm
I need input from any of you who use mineral makeup.  What brand do you like the best and why?  Is there really that much difference between them?  I'm talking mainly about the foundation powders.  I use Mary Kay loose powder and am happy with it, but would love to switch over to mineral powder because it's supposed to be better for the skin.  (I have very sensitive skin.) 

This week, I ordered some samples.  When I put it on, my face started itching a little, but it went away after 5 minutes or so.  Is that possibly because of the brush I used? Or do you think it might be the minerals?  Also, my face felt stiff, like it was too dry.

I generally wear very little makeup.... eye liner, mascara, a little powder to prevent shine, occasionally a bit of light eye shadow. 
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 8:40am
HI, Hairbraider.

I use and really like burts bees concealer. the ingredients are castor oil, sunflower oil, beeswax,vit E, candelila wax, cucumber extract,rosemary extract,and minerals for the color.
 It is a cream. I dot it where I need it. I love the stuff. I have very sensitive skin and will brake out with everything else I have tried.They have tinted moisturizers, but I have not trried them yet, I am happy with the concealer.

Alisa06

Edited by Alisa06 - January 12 2007 at 8:41am
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:35am
Alisa, thanks for the suggestion.  I've seen that at the health food store.  I might look into it. Smile
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 12:41pm
Your Welcome.
Just a thought,but, If you want a powder, I get a shea/emu cream from a gal that makes mineral makeup. I have not tried it because I have acne prone skin that brakes out with everything but burts bees, but I love her shea/emu cream. I bought one for my mom helpers at preschool. Look up mineral glitters. it is something like mymineralglitter.com but I am not for sure.

Oh,yah, I have heard that meowcosmetics is good.

Alisa06

Edited by Alisa06 - January 12 2007 at 12:42pm
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 10:11pm
Natural does not always mean better.there are many ingrediants found in nature that can be VERY irratating to the skin.

Many people have this itching issue with the minerals make up.I believe it's because it contains talc. There are some that dont contain talc which I remember seeing in another thread somewhere.

I cant use the mineral make-up myself.It makes me itchy and makes my already shiney face look even shinier.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 11:58pm
Supposedly the mineral glitters I mention earlier do not make your face shiny. I don't know for sure, but they talk about it on the site, how other mineral makeups do this but ours don't.... that whole speil. I just ordered a mascara and lip gloss from them. We'll see. I am curious about the brand, though I still like burts bees.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 3:46pm
I used to use BE, but I just recently ordered a sample of Everyday Minerals (You only pay for shipping) and I'm loving them. It covers great and last almost the whole day. Does not itch at all (at least on me). The BE would cause me to itch a little,  only for like 15 seconds. The everyday minerals don't itch at all. They do not have talc. They have different formulations (matte, semi-matte, intense etc), They really kill the shine on my oily skin, and the best part, you get alot more product than with BE at a fraction of the price ($8 for the smaller container of foundation which costs $25 for BE. The larger container is $12). I am deft. switching.

Thanks Babycheeks for making me aware of this wonderful company. I haven't tried the meaow cosmetics which you recommeded; don't think I'll need to, since these are working great. But if I ever decide to try something else I'll give them a try. They are a little more expensive, but still cheaper than BE and it has alot more product (like a 1/4 cup, which is alot, considering BE is not even a whole ounce). I also hear Alima is really good, but they are more expensive, and it is kind of hard to figure out which shade is right for you. They have so many different shades, that is actually confusing.

I'm sticking with these for now, I'm very happy with the results. Thanks once again for the tip.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 4:15pm
Sharyg - Thank you!  The samples I got were from Signature Minerals.  They're also free, shipping cost only.  I used a different brush and it didn't itch like the first time.  I'm sure it was the brush.  I do like the way it makes my skin look.  I'll check into Everyday Minerals.  I wasn't much impressed by BE, just by looking on their site.

Do you know, is it essential to use a finishing powder?  Especially if I'm only wearing foundation powder.

Julesyjul - They do not contain talc.  I was on the look-out for that.
sarah
40 inches
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 5:37pm
You're very welcome.

No it is not essential to use the finishing powder. As a matter of fact I ran out of mine and haven't been using any in a while. However, I do like to use it when I have it. I find it gives a nice clean finish and since I am now in the Dominican Republic most of the time, I have notice that when I apply the finishing powder my make up stands up against humidity much better. I won't sweat as easily on my face. It just gives a smoother finish. But if you don't want to used it, you don't have to. The makeup will still look nice.

Well, Hope hope the makeup works great for you
Much love,
Shary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 6:05pm

Thank you so much, Shary!  You've been so helpful!  My problem now is choosing between Signature Minerals, My Mineral Glitters, and Everyday Minerals.  Their prices are very competetive. 

sarah
40 inches
LindaJewel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LindaJewel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 4:48pm
Have you tried aubreynicole.com? Great products.  I've tried everyday minerals and liked them alot, but they didn't last very long -I got shiny after a few hours. Tried Signature, but I itched and it made me wonder if they used some of the same ingredients that are in BE- which I try to stay away from.  Tried oceanmist and liked it alot but found my perfect makeup with the aubreynicole.  Great coverage, lasts all day, good color match and it's cheap. They have sample kits and lots of sales!
Linda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 6:48pm
Thanks Linda!  I'll look into it.  I haven't experienced any more itching since I'm using a different brush.  (they have a list of ingredients on their website)  Everyday Minerals has a wide variety of choices as far as different types of coverage, but it's hard to know what to use without trying them all to see which works best.  I'll check out aubreynicole.  Thanks for the suggestion!
sarah
40 inches
lacolora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lacolora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 1:55pm
I've tried all of the mineral makeup and most have an ingredient called  Bismuth and that's what makes  you itch.  I am currently using Lumiere Mineral Makeup and is working great!  Also a tip for people with dry skin (Like me) try applying a little jojoba oil or some kind of essential oil before putting it on it really has helped me with using mineral makeup especially with my dry skin.

Edited by lacolora - March 05 2007 at 1:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 9:01pm
lacolora, I'm the same way.  My face has dry spots that sometimes peel.  I use sweet almond oil to take off my make-up.  It even disolves water resistant mascara!  Makes it so much easier to wash it all off without rubbing. Big%20smile  I usually use a few drops of oil or a dab of aloe vera gel before applying make-up.  It helps alot!  I really like the mineral powder, it makes my face feel very smooth and soft.
sarah
40 inches
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:05pm

The idea behind mineral makeup is that its supposed to be 'pure' and good for your skin. Unfortuantely some companies that produce mineral makeup add talc, bismuth or 'fillers' to make the minerals go further. Your mineral makeup should only have a few ingredients. Like Mica, oxides, sometimes ultramarine (for certain colors) and sometimes kaoline clay (in finishing powders).

A really neat little trick I learned is that if you mix your minerals with a little bit of your moisturizer, you can make a nice cream foundation for anyone with dry skin who dont like the 'look' of the loose minerals. Another thing Ive learned is to buff like crazy. I read somewhere that its sort of like how most guys will buff and buff and BUFF the wax on a car to get that perfect polished finish. Also apply your minerals lightly, you can go back and add more if you need to. It doesnt take much with minerals

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 10:34am
Thanks for the tips Sherrie!  I've never really worn much make-up anyway, so transitioning to mineral make-up wasn't that hard because I never wore foundation anyway.

I've been very cautious in my search for the right one as for ingredients.  I was told what to look for and what to avoid.  I also will not try anything that doesn't have an ingredient list on the website. 

I'm still using the samples I got from Signature Minerals. (they're generous!)  I'm really liking it, but I do want to try some of the others before I decide what to stick with.  I wish all of the brands had tiny samples, some have "trial kits" with full size containers at regular price.  I can't afford to spend alot on stuff that I may not use.  I'm having a hard time making myself throw away my Mary Kay powder that I got on clearance! LOL
sarah
40 inches
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 6:05pm
BTW Sarah, I absolutely LOVE that barrel curl updo....GORGEOUS! Great demo too!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 10:49am
Thanks Sherrie!  Glad you liked it. Smile
sarah
40 inches
Cherryblsmgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherryblsmgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 12:05pm
I just returned from vacation and I have been using Neutrogena's mineral bronzer to maintain my color. It's relatively inexpensive and I have not experienced any irritation. The color is subtle. I like it.
Follow Your Bliss
frawstiepawz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frawstiepawz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 7:57pm

I use Loreal Bare Naturals.  It is every bit as good as the Bare Minerals brand and alot cheaper.  As far as mineral makeup, I LOVE it!  I don't think I will ever use liquid again.  It is so fast and easy to use which makes my morning makeup routine better.  Also, it doesn't feel greasy or pasty on your skin.  I tried Neutrogena brand mineral makeup and didn't like it near as well as the Loreal.  Hope this helps!Smile

Cats and Hockey Butts rule!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic