Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Master" Colorist Ruined My Hair!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laureli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laureli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Master" Colorist Ruined My Hair!
    Posted: January 13 2007 at 4:04pm
I'm too embarrassed to leave my house and I don't trust the colorist!  Should I go back?

Yesterday I received an attempt at a tint-back.  For the past couple of years I've been coloring my dirty blonde hair a #3 brown demi.   I realize it was quite stained.  Anyway, I expressed to her that a medium to dark blonde base preferable and then lots of foil when my hair recovered.   Needless to say I am now, for the most part, a combo of strawberry and orange.  She gave me a #7 blonde?  I expressed "several" times that I wanted no part of red.  I am beside myself right now.  I called twice and finally had a reply, but she won't be able to get to me until Wednesday and, honestly I wonder if she'll be able to accomplish another correction to what I originally stated without more damage.  In the meantime, from everything I've read, ash removes red.  Is that correct?  She told me to get to a beauty supply for either a violet or blue conditioner/toner?  Does this "master" have it right? Should I find a different colorist?
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2007 at 11:50pm
Hmm...I dont know what to say.

Sounds to me like she had to make your hair lighter.You cant just color brown hair a medium blonde and expect it to be medium blonde. The brown would have to be slightly lifted and then colored a darker blonde color.

What I would do....as I have had a similar problem before,

Is call the salon.tell them you really arent happy with your hair and can you speak to a manager or owner please? Tell them,that you dont feel
THE COMMUNICATION
between you and the stylist was very good,and you would apprecite it if one of them could fix your hair instead of the stylist who did it.

If they care at all about customer service,they will do it for you with no problems.

To answer your question,yes,ash does take out red.So the salon may go over your hair with some type of ash color.
Good luck
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 12:09am
Yeah, I've had a super master stylist screw my hair up too. All that mumbo jumbo means nothing. Sure they have more training but it doesn't mean they're good. THEY ought to pay for your conditioner/toner! When my "master stylist" messed me up, they tried to tell me to buy the conditioner too. I said I have ENOUGH product and I'm not about to spend a penny more -- they ended up GIVING me a full-sized bottle of Aveda, which I think was only right.

One thing I want to know is, how come we never realize how much we HATE it while we're sitting there in their chair? It's never til we get home and then we don't want to go back.

They really SHOULD make it right with you, but I don't blame you for not wanting to go back. My ultra professional salon didn't make it easy for me at all!
laureli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laureli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 10:48am

Yes, that's right, lifted but she did it too much?  She bleached, not slightly, but twice.  The color now has numerous streaks of orange, dark blonde and light brown throughout.  I believe she got frustrated and ran over for her next appt. and tried to hurry.  Her solution to the orange stripes in the back?  To cut it all out with layering! 

I think I've decided to crawling back to the salon I originally went to a couple of years ago and see what they say.
laureli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laureli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 10:55am
LOL.  How come we never realize we hate it until later?  I think we both should have stepped outside and had a look.  (The salon was quite dark.)  Only then would I have said no way, or what in h*** is this red? 

I'd already been there 4 hours and it was running into the time for me to retrieve my son, so....I suppose I would not have been willing to sit for another hour.

Maybe I should have had a clue when I walked in for the appt. to begin with and she told me, from my 11:30 am appt. that I would be done by 1:00 pm?  What?
KB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 9:40am
Oh man, I've had so many screw-ups by supposed "master" colorists too.  Not fun.  The worst one ever was by the owner of this prestigious salon.  Somehow, my request for high and lowlights and only a little trim turned into a dark brownish red, layered reverse mullet.  I nearly sued that idiot for the embarassment she caused me.  I remember I had to go back and demand that she fix my hair by highlighting heavily to lift all that awful color out.  She warned me that my hair would snap off and I simply told her that I would take the chance and if it happened, go to someone who knows how to cut hair and get a nice short style.  She didn't like that one bit...but proceeded to foil my hair anyway.  Despite her warning that the highlights would be ugly and ashy, they turned out beautiful but sure enough my hair was snapping off.  I found a great stylist who gave me a beautiful short cut and then my troubles were over.
Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on...just needed to vent!

So listen - you put a lot of faith in this master colorist who, in my opinion, screwed up by letting you leave with what sounds like a color job that was only half done.  Perhaps she was worried about damage - I don't really know, but she owes you the color you requested.  If you trust her, go back and let her fix what she begun.  She was not entirely wrong in saying that an ash toner would help counteract the red, but she should have found a way to fit you in and apply that toner herself until she can find the time to work with you again and restore your hair to the color you had asked for.  Gosh, sorry you have to go through this but just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and soon enough this whole thing will be a distant memory.

Good luck and let us know how everything turns out!
laureli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laureli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 6:25pm
Well...as of Thursday I've been feeling lots better!  I decided to not return to the "supposed" expert to fix my hair.  I just didn't trust that she could get it right.  I was just to angry.

Instead, I'd gone back to the salon I'd went to a few years ago.  What a great experience and lesson learned, of course.

The stylist there gave me the color I wanted to begin with and it only took 20 minutes!  She also deep conditioned my hair and although I'm pretty bummed that my shoulder length hair is no more (for now), the shorter cut I can live with until my hair is healthy again.  At least I'm not embarrassed to be seen in public anymore.

Thanks so much for listening. 

Again--lesson learned!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic